87 Lil Bigfoot fresh water filling port - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-05-2021, 06:21 PM   #1

Name: Janet
Trailer: 1987 13.5' Lil Bigfoot
BC
87 Lil Bigfoot fresh water filling port

Hello! I've had my 1987 13.5' Lil Bigfoot for two years but up until recently it was my office due to COVID closure of my regular office. Now I'm giving it some love to get it back into camping mode.

I've never used the onboard fresh water system, looked at it today and realized that the hoses need to be replaced due to all of the gunk in them and a few leaks.

Question - How on earth do I fill the tank?! The external port is a very odd shape (eg hose doesn't fit into the intake hole), and the tubing is on a downward angle from the tank to the external wall (eg so it can't be gravity fed and the vent hole plugs immediately). I must be missing something because this seems like it should be easy....

Note that this is separate from where the water system plugs directly into a water source. That's on the other side of the trailer and works well.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5422.jpg   IMG_5423.jpg  

microjanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:35 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Fresh water tank filling is trouble on pretty much every RV I've owned, very slow and messy. You have to run the hose at a trickle into the little trough and let it make its way into the tank. The air vent (small hose) may be plugged up, which further hinders the flow of water.

We don't use ours, but if that ever changes, one common modification I've seen involves installing a 6" round marine deck hatch in the top of the tank where it's accessible from the bench seat access panel. Then you can run a hose through a door or window, or fill from portable water containers easily and quickly if you're dry camping. Also gives access for a thorough cleaning and allows you to let it dry out between trips

Something like this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deck hatch.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	141336
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:17 AM   #3

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Get something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Shutoff...3071764&sr=8-3
As was stated, make sure the vent is working before going full bore on filling.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:53 AM   #4

BC
Great tips, I'll give those both a try. Much appreciated! I'm tempted to just not use it since we're not often somewhere where there's no fresh water source and I don't like the idea of hauling all of that extra weight.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:12 AM   #5

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by microjanet View Post
I'm tempted to just not use it since we're not often somewhere where there's no fresh water source and I don't like the idea of hauling all of that extra weight.
I've had my trailer for a few years and haven't even fixed the on board fresh water system. I know I wouldn't use it for drinking even if it were working. I certainly wouldn't try traveling with the tank full since the extra cost of gas due to the weight would probably be more than just buying water from a grocery store near the campsite.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:54 AM   #6

Name: Roger
Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot B17 dlx
British Columbia
I just made a 12in hose extension jusy flexable hose no end piece which I put right into the filler works well, note amazon has replacement fillers
rogerfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:48 AM   #7

BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
I've had my trailer for a few years and haven't even fixed the on board fresh water system. I know I wouldn't use it for drinking even if it were working. I certainly wouldn't try traveling with the tank full since the extra cost of gas due to the weight would probably be more than just buying water from a grocery store near the campsite.
Good point about travelling with water in the tank, especially with gas prices here in BC skyrocketing this summer. Honestly I would only really want it for washing up dishes so could just fill it when I got to the campground, then drain it before leaving... or just wash dishes at the tap to save the hassle.

Tags
bigfoot