95 Casita fridge ?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2017, 11:38 AM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
95 Casita fridge ??

The top left hinge screws are loose on the refrigerator in my 1995 Freedom Deluxe. The screws are not accessible, so I would like to know a couple of things.

First, do the rivets in the face flange of the fridge have a backing strip on the inside so reinstallation will have a strong surface for the rivets to bite?

Second, if I drill the rivets, can I get the fridge out of the compartment far enough to tighten the hinge screws without disconnecting things at the back? I think it would have to slide out a couple of inches.

Thanks,

JIm
James Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #2

Name: Frank
California
Refrigerator Hinge

What make and model refrigerator do you have with the hinge problem??
Old 12-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #3

Kentucky
It's a Dometic, RM 2202

Thanks for asking.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:40 PM   #4

Kentucky
Just heard from Casita. It seems I can drill the rivets, then remove three screws from the back of the fridge and tilt it enough to tighten the hinge screws.

But the didn't give me any perspective about replacing the rivets when I put it back...
Old 12-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #5

Kentucky
Removed screws at back, sheared rivet heads with a sharp wood chisel, tipped fridge out at top, tightened hinge screw, replaced rivets and screws--all good again. Very easy.

I replaced the two long Philipps head screws at the back bottom with hex heads, which are much easier to install with a 1/4' drive ratchet. Recommend that change to anyone doing this procedure.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:59 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Davis View Post
Removed screws at back, sheared rivet heads with a sharp wood chisel, tipped fridge out at top, tightened hinge screw, replaced rivets and screws--all good again. Very easy.

I replaced the two long Philipps head screws at the back bottom with hex heads, which are much easier to install with a 1/4' drive ratchet. Recommend that change to anyone doing this procedure.
Glad you got it fixed and thanks for the screw head change tip, makes great sense.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:18 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Glad you got it fixed and thanks for the screw head change tip, makes great sense.
I always try to use a medium strength thread locker or even some elmers glue on the threads of any screws that have a propensity for loosening up.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, fridge