A bike rack cautionary tale - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #41

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilyoung View Post
Re. The questions about RVs (self propelled) vs trailers - Most larger RVs, i.e. larger than an 18 or 20 foot class "C", with the exception of some monster buses, have substantial overhang behind the rear axle which exaggerate the bounce, same as trailers. Too many conditions and exceptions to list so the manufacturers just lump all RVs together.
Good point Wil. I just saw a motorhome today with perhaps 7 feet or more hanging aft of the rear wheels and thought about your comment here.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #42

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
This is a really good question. After my incident Does anyone know if Scamp offers any specific weight limits on racks on their rear bumper?

I've emailed their "info@scamp" address and asked the question. I'll post the response.
As promised, here is the response from Jared Walker at Scamp:

The receiver could technically hold up to 400lbs. Keep in mind that adding weight to the back increases the likely hood of trailer sway.

WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #43

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
[/QUOTE]
On our last trip I moved our bikes inside the trailer and, while I never had sway issues, centering the weight over the axle felt so much more secure I am permanently retiring my rear rack. The trailer tracked like a mid-engine sports car. The "rack" is my First-Up awning.
Attachment 119072

Loading is easy and surprisingly solid, but it does limit access to the icebox and rear storage.[/QUOTE]

Jon,
This is a clever arrangement. Our bikes have top tubes (looks like yours do not?) but I think it will still work. We'll give it a try on a future trip. Thanks for the idea.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #44

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The "rack" is my First-Up awning. Loading is easy and surprisingly solid, but it does limit access to the icebox and rear storage.
Jon,

That's the essence of packing light! Using the awning and the water jug for packing the bikes is genius; there's no "extra stuff" required! The awning provides the deadweight of a stable mass to tie onto...

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:50 PM   #45

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
...This is a clever arrangement. Our bikes have top tubes (looks like yours do not?) but I think it will still work. We'll give it a try on a future trip. Thanks for the idea.
Those are my girls' bikes, so yes, no top tube. But I have carried mine the same way, and it does have a top tube. The only things that might get in the way are fenders, which we had already removed because they got damaged on the rear rack.

This was a first try, born of necessity when a critical part on the rear rack failed the day we were leaving on a trip. I've got a few ideas to make it better and easier: ratchet straps instead of bungees and a solid bar connecting the rear wheel stays. I'll post an update when that happens.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #46

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Jim,

One reason we bought the 21 instead of the 5.0 TA was the greater storage in the 21. Now I realize I should have just asked Escape for the "Bennett-bumper-pack-mod"!

I looked into mounting an aluminum tool box, similar to the one you have, to "garage" our folding bikes on the back of the Casita.

But now, with 21 feet of bumper-pull trailer, I don't want to add to the trailer's length. So, we'll continue to "garage" the folding bikes in the back of the tow vehicle.
Yeah, I kinda doubt Escape would do one of these cargo boxes.

This cargo box only added about 10" more length than measuring to the back of the spare tire that I moved. It is shorter than if I used a bike rack. My overall with the F-150 (6.5' box) and trailer with cargo box is 38' - 9".
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:47 PM   #47

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
You've heard of the tail wagging the dog?
Any rack that just hangs off the hitch reciever, is a cantilevered load.
If your trailer bounces - as it surely does going over bumps - it is like cracking the whip back there. The bikes should be secured with straps or bungee cords to the trailer - or car - or truck - to reduce the bounce.
If your trailer tires are inflated too much, they bounce more. Let some air out.
AND, do the bikes block a clear view of the tail lights? That's a No-No!
Anyone who ever sat in the back of a 64-passenger school bus loping down a corrugated dirt road will understand what a bike would experience riding on the back of a travel trailer. Rough ride, but great memories....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote