A/C in closet mounting box and drain pictures - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
A/C in closet mounting box and drain pictures

Just got finished installing A/C in my Scamp 13'. It works great and I highly recommend it if you live in hot climate. Anyway, all the posts have been so helpful I thought I would pay back by posting pictures of the mounting box I devised. It raises the a/c to the hieght of the door opening, centers it in the opening, provides for proper slope for drainage, has an integrated drain(as explained in other posts) and has straps for mounting the a/c to the secured box. These are posted to be helpful, I hope they are.
Attached Thumbnails
ac1.jpg   ac3.jpg  

davidha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 13.5 ft
What type of drain connection did you use. Is that a thru hull connection from a boat?

Thanks,
Carl
Carl G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidha View Post
Just got finished installing A/C in my Scamp 13'. It works great and I highly recommend it if you live in hot climate. Anyway, all the posts have been so helpful I thought I would pay back by posting pictures of the mounting box I devised. It raises the a/c to the hieght of the door opening, centers it in the opening, provides for proper slope for drainage, has an integrated drain(as explained in other posts) and has straps for mounting the a/c to the secured box. These are posted to be helpful, I hope they are.
Good Job David, isn't that paint roller pan handy, it's a prefect fit for most 5000 btu window A/C's.
Bob H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #4

drain connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl G View Post
What type of drain connection did you use. Is that a thru hull connection from a boat?

Thanks,
Carl
Hey Carl, the drain is a plastic friction hose coupler with one side cut off just below the center ring. Drill a hole in the paint pan and push the still existing nipple half through the hole and attach hose to it. The center ring, which must be larger than the hole, is caulked to the pan.

In top view picture the center ring can be seen, this is the side with the nipple cut off. Unseen is the existing nipple protruding through the bottom of the pan and attached to the hose. This hose leads down to a hole in the closet floor to the outside.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 76 13 ft Scamp (fits in my Garage...Yeah)
any pictures of the install itself how do you vent to the outside world or do you....
jimtesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #6

Name: Jay
Trailer: 70's 13' Scamp
Georgia
Registry
Venting

How did you get it to vent the hot air to the outside? I have seen numerous vent/fan/duct combinations and wondered if anyone has solved the heat problem.
Jay B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #7

probably unhelpful pics

My install is taken from other places and posts in the forums, the only thing I added was the mounting box. So I did not take pictures of the install and all I have are a couple of pics of the finished thing. The diagram is taken from someone elses post but it is most helpful. It simply shows the separation between intake air and exhaust. Following that diagram as a general idea, I used 3/4"insulation board taped with good quality metal vent directly to the metal surrounding the exhaust on the a/c unit, creating a duct to the hole in the rv wall(bottom hole) and taped the duct to the rv walls surrounding the hole. As for the intake, it was basically complete at this point because the exhaust was now isolated. Still, I wanted to use some of my closet, so I isolated the intake from the closet by creating a tight fitting shelf 5" above the a/c unit with 3/4" plywood, having a facing board down to the a/c unit in front(closing off the 5" gap I just created).

Oh Boy, I can't find the diagram . Anyway, it was a line drawing of illustrating the need to separate the exhaust and intake. Maybe I'll find it and post it later.
Attached Thumbnails
ext.jpg   int.jpg  

Old 08-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #8

I have no heat problem as of yet.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #9

Jimtesla, I have replied to you in the post. thanks
Old 09-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B. View Post
How did you get it to vent the hot air to the outside? I have seen numerous vent/fan/duct combinations and wondered if anyone has solved the heat problem.

I installed a duct system and bathroon ceiling fan/exhaust in mine 110 cubic ft/min with the exhaust out the roof. Works great.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c, air, air conditioner