a jack for the winter = 13 ft Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2020, 07:03 AM   #1
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
a jack for the winter = 13 ft Scamp

I’m figuring out where and how to over winter my 13 ft. Scamp. Need a jack, what’s best for stability?
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:29 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I raise the wheels off the ground and place a pair of automotive jack stands on the frame just behind the axle. They are inexpensive and available at Walmart or auto parts stores. (Avoid Harbor Freight- they had several recent recalls on their jack stands.) Then I deploy the rear stabilizers, so it rests on 5 points: jack stands, stabilizers, and tongue jack. Very solid and allows the rubber in the axle to relax while stored. If needed, put concrete pavers under the stands to keep them from sinking in soft ground.

If possible, park it on concrete, asphalt, or gravel rather than grass or dirt, which can accelerate rust in the undercarriage. Avoid areas where rodents are active and/or put out bait stations near the trailer. Make sure there’s good drainage, no standing water. Protect the tires from sun exposure.

If you store outside in the snow belt and will not be able to remove accumulating snow regularly, you might add a floor to ceiling brace inside the trailer. A 2z6 between squares of 3/4” plywood will do the job.

If humidity is a problem, put chemical desiccants in the trailer (Dri-Rid?) and check regularly. Remove and store cushions indoors. Remove food and paper goods, anything that might attract critters or encourage nesting. Leave cabinet doors and fridge open to circulate air.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:32 AM   #3

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
By over winter do you mean storing the trailer or a place to spend the winter in the Scamp over the winter?
If it is the latter I recommend jacking up further South...
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:43 AM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
I’m figuring out where and how to over winter my 13 ft. Scamp. Need a jack, what’s best for stability?
The built in jacks will work for stability. But to get the weight off the axle, most of the jack stands at harbor freight will work. I use a truckers load lock to brace the roof for the winter. (I know, the jack stand should be turned 90 degrees, but there is a wire in the way.)
Attached Thumbnails
Jackstand.jpg   LOAD LOCK.jpg  

AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:26 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Mary Jo; you anywhere near Bennington VT, a friend has indoor storage available there. Or western MA near Pittsfield as there is another indoor storage place near Hudson NY. First winter our Casita sat out I swept the snow off after every storm. If it's light fluffy snow you can use a leaf blower. Last year I built a carport to keep it in, $1700 total cost. Rodent repellant is a whole other debate that I won't get into here.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1171.jpg  
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #6

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
winter storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Mary Jo; you anywhere near Bennington VT, a friend has indoor storage available there. Or western MA near Pittsfield as there is another indoor storage place near Hudson NY. First winter our Casita sat out I swept the snow off after every storm. If it's light fluffy snow you can use a leaf blower. Last year I built a carport to keep it in, $1700 total cost. Rodent repellant is a whole other debate that I won't get into here.
The big debate is that any bait just invites the mice in. I plug the mouse hole and set three traps. Also Damp rid is a good product to collect moisture for the winter. I use 2 of the 64 oz size in a 16' Scamp. https://www.menards.com/main/grocery...4424269088.htm
Attached Thumbnails
SCOTCHBRITE.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
The big debate is that any bait just invites the mice in.
If you choose to use them, bait stations are placed outside the trailer, not inside.

"Damp-Rid' is the product I was trying to remember. No need in our climate!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A local camper dealer told me he puts rodent poison under the trailers near the wheels. In containers that only mice can get into. I use Fresh Cab in the trailer, and a few traps. I've also used the Damp Rid, but wonder at what temperature it will freeze after absorbing moisture.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:16 PM   #9

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...k?cm_vc=-10005
Heres a jack and jackstand all in one at Tractor Supply. I have a set and they work real well.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:35 PM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 Rodent bait, outside the trailer. Never inside, as it appears to be food, which attracts them.

+10 Every hole is a possible entry point. Mice can enter through unbelievably small holes.

Note, 6mm is slightly less than 1/4 inch!

https://www.sssb.se/en/wp-content/up...tsmice_ENG.pdf
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp