a matter of roof support - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #1

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
A question of support

I have noticed that some of the Boler type 10' shells on the 13' campers, have interior roof support on either side of the door by way of bracing at the hinge side and on the other side of the door, by the closet. On the driver side, most that I have seen have the "pole" support at the sink end of the galley only.

Recently have seen some pics that represent an additional support on the stove side of the galley. Because of the support locations on the passenger side this seems, to me, more consistent with the idea of roof support. Or is the additional support on the door side because of the door.

The only representations of FG interiors that I have seen, other than my own, have been on this forum or other web sites. I would like to know what you have on yours and what your thoughts are. We have not yet reinstalled the cabinets in ours and would prefer not to have the boundary at that end of the counter but do want to provide adequate roof support.

Don't plan to store canned goods in the overhead.

Thanks in advance.
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
As a general proposition, the Boler roof is not strong enough to hold up without interior supports. As to the specifics of your question, hopefully someone more qualified than I will chime in soon.

You might perhaps edit your topic to read "a matter of roof support"... I clicked, wondering if you needed emotional support, child support, or what!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #3

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I don't think I would eliminate it. The fact is, there's only one way you're going to find out if it's necessary, and that's going to cost you.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
My Trillium 4500's have no such support on either end of the kitchen. This is the factory configuration. I have noticed that the roof saggs on both of my 4500's on the kitchen side. It is not dramatic, but water does pool up there. I have considered adding a support at the dinette end of the kitchen. I have seen this on other Trillium 4500 trailers.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat futrell View Post
Or is the additional support on the door side because of the door.
My observation is that under normal circumstances the second support on the hinge side of the door is due to the lateral leverage that the door places on the body. Most of the 13' trailers I have personally seen had pole support on the sink end of the galley only.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
The additional round "support" you mention to the right of the sink is not a support. It carries the 110v power to the florescent fixture and the 12V power to the interior lights at the ends of the upper cabinet.
I also would not remove the main support at the end of the counter, even with nothing in the upper cupboard the body will sag and bulge on the drivers side, a support is needed to maintain the "egg" shape.
On my Boler I did remove all these supports but in their place I epoxied 4 curved structural members directly to the fiberglass shell. One on each side of the door and one in the middle of each side
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote