A small questions for used Bigfoot trailer owners; thanks. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2007, 03:01 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi:

I am interesting in purchasing a small Bigfoot trailer (around 17 feet long, 175CB, etc.), and its features state the insulation R value is 8 (R = 8) for this trailer.

However, I heard that the insulatin R value for the same size (length) trailer manufactured before year 2005 is 12 (R = 12), is this true? If it is true, then I may try to find an used one.

Thanks for your time to look at this small question.
Phillip Kiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Hi:

I am interesting in purchasing a small Bigfoot trailer (around 17 feet long, 175CB, etc.), and its features state the insulation R value is 8 (R = 8) for this trailer.

However, I heard that the insulatin R value for the same size (length) trailer manufactured before year 2005 is 12 (R = 12), is this true? If it is true, then I may try to find an used one.

Thanks for your time to look at this small question.
Phillip,
I am not an owner of a Bigfoot, but I have been discussing the option with Santa for a few years. In those discussions I discovered a few things.

As you may know, there have been various "series" of Bigfoots over the years. The most common are the 1500 and 2500. The difference between the series is the amount of insulation in the walls. I believe that in general over the years the 1500 has 1.5 inches of insulation. The 2500 has more - maybe 2 or 2.5 inches.

Note that the insulation value and series numbers for Bigfoot trailers built in Oregon was different. Bigfoot made stick-built fiberglass-walled trailers for a short time in the USA at a plant located near The Dalles in Oregon. It was an experiment - Could a less expensive model be built that would appeal to the American market and compete successfully with similar stick built fiberglass-walled trailers being made in Elkhart, Indiana. The stick-builts from the Oregon plant had some different series numbers that related to the thickness of the walls. I think in general all the walls were thinner because it was felt that in the warmer climate of the USA the thick 2500 series walls were not needed. Thus, with thinner walls the trailer could be offered at a lower price. I think the trailers were branded "Columbia" or "Columbia River by Bigfoot", or something like that. I believe that years of manufacture were around 1999. However, the management team for the Oregon facility died in a tragic plane crash. The loss was too much for the Oregon plant. Bigfoot closed the plant and regrouped back in Canada to do what they do best - build molded fiberglass trailers. Later, the company introduced stick-built trailers made in Canada that are similar the stick-built trailers produced earlier in Oregon.

thanks
jay
Jay Moeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:33 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The 2005 break was likely when the smallest model switched from 1500-series to 2500-series construction, as indicated by the first two digits of the actual model name (now 25B175CB or 25B175G, previously started with 15B17...).

Before the switch, I saved a copy of Bigfoot's Features web page, which includes this:
Quote:
1" high density EPS (polystyrene) insulation in floor, walls, and ceiling (R=6)
The current 2500 series Features page includes this:
Quote:
1 1/2" High Density EPS Insulation (R8)
The quoted values suggest 1" (for R6) and 1.5" (for R8) foam thickness and a total R-value including from R2 to R4 credited for the fiberglass shell and interior paneling. Expanded polystyrene (EPS) foam board is the white "beadboard" commonly used for insulation in stick-built trailers, and crediting it with an insulation value of R6 is wildly optimistic. Another possibility is that Bigfoot is only claiming total insulation values of R6 (for the 1500) and R8 (for the 2500), and the higher R-values (R8 ad R12) are figments of someone's imagination.

Maybe those Bigfoot owners can confirm the foam thickness for each series, although it seems pretty clear in the Bigfoot literature. Even other sizes would likely work for this purpose.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:15 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
The 2005 break was likely when the smallest model switched from 1500-series to 2500-series construction, as indicated by the first two digits of the actual model name (now 25B175CB or 25B175G, previously started with 15B17...).

Before the switch, I saved a copy of Bigfoot's Features web page, which includes this:

The current 2500 series Features page includes this:

The quoted values suggest 1" (for R6) and 1.5" (for R8) foam thickness and a total R-value including from R2 to R4 credited for the fiberglass shell and interior paneling. Expanded polystyrene (EPS) foam board is the white "beadboard" commonly used for insulation in stick-built trailers, and crediting it with an insulation value of R6 is wildly optimistic. Another possibility is that Bigfoot is only claiming total insulation values of R6 (for the 1500) and R8 (for the 2500), and the higher R-values (R8 ad R12) are figments of someone's imagination.

Maybe those Bigfoot owners can confirm the foam thickness for each series, although it seems pretty clear in the Bigfoot literature. Even other sizes would likely work for this purpose.
Phillip,
Jay and Brian are right about the insulation. 1995 was the last year of Bigfoot because of the management teams death. The owners wife restarted the company in Canada around 1998-9. I have a 1995 17Ft Bigfoot trailer. It holds warmth very well in the winter. We do not have insulated tanks. The 2500 series 17Ft trailer came out in 2004 or 5 with insulated tanks. This year we started with a 1983 17G, sold it bought a 2004 21FB, sold it bought a 1995 17CB. This one is a keeper. Many of your answers can be found on the Bigfoot Owners website.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Phillip,

I agree that the 2004 and earlier Bigfoot 17s were 1500 series and had less wall insulation than the 2005 and later, which are 2500 series and designated "17.5". The furnace in our 17CB is 16,000 BTU (same as 2005 and later), but the 17G in 2004 had a smaller 12,000 BTU heater.

Our 2004 came with a winter package consisting of enclosed tanks, double glazed windows and reflective glass. In my opinion the winter package is more of an advantage for cold weather than the thicker 1.5" walls.

The Bigfoot 17.5 (2005 and later) and the earlier 17 are nice trailers, but not for large people! The dinette bed is 78 by 42" and the couch bed is 70 by 40" in our 17CB. The bathroom door is narrow and the bathroom is small.

If you really think a Bigfoot 17 is right for you, try to find a good used one. I say this because I didn't think I could justify paying $30,000 for a new one.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot