AAA or Good Sam? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2020, 07:43 PM   #1

Name: Amy
Trailer: Casita Independence Deluxe 17
Florida
AAA or Good Sam?

Hi - I am driving to St. Pete to pick up my “new” Casita Saturday: 2018 17’ Independence Deluxe. I am calling my insurance company to get the Casita covered. Should I get AAA or Good Sam for roadside assistance? I see Good Sam mentioned on here a lot. I have tent camped for years, but new to towing. Nervous, but mostly excited. I will be traveling through Maine, then up through Easten Canada this summer. - plan to be gone a month. Single female, want to be prepared for worst-case scenario - but hoping for the best! Plan is to travel for many years - W US, W Canada, Alaska, desert, etc. I teach - so a month every summer. Shorter trips in the South for breaks. Thank you - Amy (Any additional advice is appreciated.)
AmyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:12 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyFL View Post
...- plan to be gone a month. Single female, want to be prepared for worst-case scenario - but hoping for the best! Plan is to travel for many years - W US, W Canada, Alaska, desert, etc. I teach - so a month every summer. ...
With that many miles in your plans a roadside assistance plan sounds like a good idea to me. Being a single female might, or might not, have much bearing on that. Have you seen Sue Aikens on "Life Below Zero?"

But the best plan is to be prepared to handle as many things as you have the skill and physical ability to handle, and also, when you can, improve the skills and abilities to handle even more problems.

On second thought, maybe the best plan is to make sure equipment is so well maintained that problems are likely to be very rare. I'm guessing that most calls to Good Sam or AAA could have been prevented if people never let their tires get too old or run under inflated, repacked bearings on schedule, etc..

On third thought, maybe thoughts #1 and #2 are more in sum than their parts.

I'm sorry that I cannot recommend a service because I have never used one. In the last few years, I have done a month on the road in 2018 but usually don't go out that long. I take care of routine maintenance and I can change a tire or fix most electrical problems. If all that fails then I prefer a credit card to paying some company year in and year out for something that might happen.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:14 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Good Sam is fairly cheap for the first year, they have a deal for new members. It goes up for the next years renewal. Had it, never used it. AAA has a RV option, it is added on to your standard policy. Had it, never had to use it. Originally for us here in NY the AAA RV was cheap, $20 or so extra. Then they figured out that any road service involving a big motorhome could get real expensive quick, so the price for the RV option went way up. Didn't renew it. A search of the site should bring up a previous discussion about road service. What will you be towing your Casita with.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:25 PM   #4

Name: Amy
Trailer: Casita Independence Deluxe 17
Florida
I will have new tires, so I don’t foresee any issue. Guess I want to know I have help, if needed.
AmyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Check with both AAA and Good Sam. GS will probably be around $80 for the first year, and may be the best option. Both use service providers that are under contract, and of which they have little control, so level of service or response time is an unknown. AAA and Good Sam are basically an answering service, when you call they will determine your location and contact a service provider in your area. Does your vehicle insurance policy have a towing option.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:14 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'm in British Columbia and I have BCAA RV Plus which is affiliated with AAA. I'm covered anywhere in North America. I don't know what Good Sam is like for Canada coverage. I'd be sure to ask them that. AAA would be my default unless, I hear, you like getting tons of mail ( from Good Sam ).
Old 02-05-2020, 09:30 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Good Sam WILL wear you out with mail, like a letter every freakin' day! I find them so irritating I would stick with AAA. Be sure to have them spell out the exact coverage you are getting.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:09 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I have AAA and have had them for years. But it's expensive and the towing is extremely limited unless you pay significantly more for an upgraded plan. Some plans with others force you to pay and get reimbursed for services. If you decide to not renew at some point, but after a few months change your mind and set it up again, AAA will force you to pay a whole year. So you might only get six months of coverage for a whole year of charges. Then they start in with automatic upgrades at much higher prices, and life insurance policy stuff. It becomes difficult to deal with them. I really don't like AAA, but when you need them, they do show up.

When I insured my new HQ19 (not with AAA), the insurance included towing for a modest extra amount and I took the option. I also have USAA auto insurance and they have a roadside plan too. Point is, there are many options, so ask around. And if you plan to insure your trailer ask the insurer if they have towing.

I boondock a lot and specifically asked USAA if their coverage would extend off-road in case I was not on a highway. They assured me it would, but I think there must be some limit on where they might go.

I just want to make sure that if my truck breaks down, my trailer will also be towed and not be left on the highway. Or if I need towing, I can go for more than 5 miles.

If you plan to be out away from normal city services a lot. Open road, or National Forest, or whatever, I suggest you be prepared to handle simple tire problems yourself. This would include changing a tire, or plugging one and re-filling it with your compressor. This is not a very complicated or expensive thing to do or prepare for, but it will require a practice run and making sure you have the right tools. Even if you can't physically do it yourself, having the basic tools with you would allow someone to stop and help you.

A broken spring, or wheel bearing failure, or a tow vehicle problem will require towing.

I had a tire problem out by Rachael Nevada, which is just about as far from anywhere as possible, with no cell service. We had just passed a sign that said "next services 160 miles". I was able to make a temporary fix and get moving in about 20 minutes, instead of sitting alongside the road for maybe 24 hours waiting for help. A little creativity and a few tools made the difference.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:21 AM   #9

When it comes to insurance or roadside assistance, it doesn't matter what others experience is. It only matters what your policy says. You get what you pay for. I pay for BCAA RV Plus which covers my tow vehicle and the trailer. I pay for the most coverage, which includes the furthest distance for a tow.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #10

Name: Alexander
Trailer: Escape 15B
British Columbia
I suggest you check out what "the bus greasemonkey" had to say about Good Sam (on YouTube). Hint: it was less than flattering. I myself have CAA (the Canadian equivalent) because it includes coverage for both the trailer and the tow vehicle.
penderpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #11

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Also check out...

RV Roadhelp, offered by Allstate.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:55 AM   #12

Name: Deb
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot B19
British Columbia
Haven't even got my trailer yet, but have been with the GMC community for a few years, and though I have never personally required assistance, I can pass along that of all complaints that I saw, most were about Good Sam. Mainly response time, and getting the proper equipment out. Now I know there is a huge difference between dealing with a broke down motorhome vs a trailer, but though you do pay more for AAA (CAA up here in Canada) I have opted for the add-on RV package to my BCAA auto coverage. And I will continue it for the Casita.

If you don't already have AAA, I don't know what the cost is as a stand-alone option, but as an add-on, it was worth the money for what I got - MANY miles of towing up to 4 times a year. When I look at what I spend on gas, insurance and routine maintenance, the additional pittance spent to get premium coverage, is well worth it to me.

But look at what you will need, check your options - there may be far more possibilities in the US.
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:28 PM   #13

Name: Nigel
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
I've tried both, here are the results..

I have had AAA for more than 20 years and gave in 1 1/2 years ago to join Good Sam as they would cover our BigFoot and all of the vehicles in the family. I left AAA with a sick feeling in my stomach and should have listened to my gut. I was up in the mountains of Colorado and got stuck leaving a job in my rear wheel drive work vehicle this past November. I called Good Sam and they refused to send out a tow truck to free me as they claimed that the vehicle was not "disabled" mechanically. The following day, I had to call a towing company to pull me out of an icy ditch/roadway to the tune of $420. Upon arriving home, I called AAA and asked them if they would have covered the same incident (simply being stuck and not mechanically disabled), and they indicated that it was a qualifying event. I promptly cancelled my plan with Good Sam and happily went back to AAA Plus despite the higher price as you get what you pay for!

Buried in the Good Sam roadside assistance plan information (in very small print) was the following exclusion: "For each disablement event under this agreement, Member is entitled to a maximum of two hours of either Towing Preparation Services or Recovery Services.
Towing Preparation Services include any of the following services: winch-out, extrication services and preparation for towing.
Recovery Services include winch-out or extrication services to allow the vehicle to proceed safely under its own power. However, if disablement is caused solely by an accumulation of snow by any means, the Member will not be entitled to any Towing Preparation Services or Recovery Services in regard to such disablement.

In my mind, that line makes the plan worthless as they will not cover an event caused by snow for ANY vehicle, regardless of circumstances/fault. This combined with their ceaseless advertising via U.S. mail and email was more than I could handle. Also, I discovered that my insurance company insuring the BigFoot travel trailer covers towing as part of the coverage, largely rendering the RV coverage through Good Sam redundant.

In summary, if you'd like roadside assistance for your vehicles, go with AAA check with your insurance company to see if roadside assistance is covered on your RV. If not, then go with AAA and add the RV coverage.

Best of luck!
Nigel G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:54 PM   #14

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
insurance

I have our trailer insured by state farm never an issue. As for road service I suppose its covered to through my car insurance!

I have a spare tire so honestly I doubt I would ever need it.

good luck

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:56 PM   #15

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel G View Post
I have had AAA for more than 20 years and gave in 1 1/2 years ago to join Good Sam as they would cover our BigFoot and all of the vehicles in the family.......
Dont understand that part.
AAA covers you and ANY vehicle you are in.
So, by extension is covers every vehicle in the country.
Why did you switch?
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:59 PM   #16

Name: Jean
Trailer: Escape 5
North Carolina
Good Sam vs AAA

I have AAA, never needed it, however, I remember reading in a business journal recently that Camping World was under financial duress. Not sure how they are related to Good Sam financially but always see them promoted together. I have decided to stick with AAA, and yes, much less advertising. Get the same discount most places with AAA as Good Sam offers.

I am a widow and do travel some alone tho I have recently been blessed with another widow travel buddy. Good tires and a good relationship with a local shop to do preventative maintenance are your best friends, along with this forum. Several times I have needed advice on the road and the forum has come through.

Happy Travels! Be in touch if you are in NC and maybe we can meet up.
Jean
Weavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:06 PM   #17

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
campers world

I see old campers world with new names on them now and yes Campers World has finally wore out its welcome.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Good Sam used to be good, but everything in the Camping World "family" leaves much to be desired. I would search the entire internet for "current" experiences with roadside assistance and make sure you understand the exclusions before signing up.

Good Sam will spam, that I am sure of.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavery View Post
II am a widow and do travel some alone tho I have recently been blessed with another widow travel buddy. Good tires and a good relationship with a local shop to do preventative maintenance are your best friends, along with this forum.

Don't forget to pack your bikinis.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:54 PM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: Trail lite by R-VISION
California
JMCK/California

I Had GS on my travel trailer and was on a trip in Oregon (300 miles from home) with the TT checked my e mail GS sent a notice that my insurence was canceled 3 days ago, I had not recived any notice at all, so called Grange who covers my pick up and added the TT that day, I used Grange one time when TT was Broken in to in storage $2000.00 damage and they paid quickley Plus my rate whent up from $25.00 a year to $65.00 per year
and I do not have a problum with that, My towing is AAA I have used it one time to move the truck and trailer but the did a good job quickley.
JMCK is offline   Reply With Quote