Accident! Damage estimate by local shop? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #1

Trailer: 82 Scamp 13 ft
I had a scary but "no bodily harm" accident on a trip we just got back from. (Details if you want them, but the moral of the story is watch out for wild drivers and keep your trailer brakes adjusted!) My question: Should my local RV dealer and repair people do the estimate? As far as I can tell they have no experience of fiberglass RV's outside of ours and I wonder if they'll be able to spot structural damage beyond the obvious bend in the tongue. I'm near Harrisonburg, VA, and I'm not sure where the nearest folks are who would be good at giving us the damage estimate, but maybe our local folks are alright? Opinions?

Thanks!
Bruce and Ann
johnsoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I would maybe see if you have a boat repair shop close by. They may do FG repair.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm with Ches. But, not knowing the RV place I couldn't say for certain that they're NOT capable of doing the repairs. Maybe get an estimate from both?

PS: Glad you and yours are okay too, but real sorry about the cracked egg.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
As far as I can tell they have no experience of fiberglass RV's outside of ours and I wonder if they'll be able to spot structural damage beyond the obvious bend in the tongue.
I would agree with Donna; go to [b]both your regular RV mechanic (for any frame & running gear issues) and a boat place (for fiberglass body work).
Old 07-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Not many fiberglass boat repair shops in the valley. If you can't find a repair shop closer there is one in Aylett Va. 20 Miles east of Richmond. About three hours from you. Their name is Amiss Marine they specialize in fiberglass boat repair work, I think that's all they do.
Amiss Marine
7107 Richmond Tapp Hwy, Aylett VA 23009
(804) 769-8807
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #6

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
This subject comes up quite often. Many auto body shops do fiberglass repairs on metal but maybe the most common one should be to contact your local Chevrolet dealership and ask the maintenance supervisor where they get their Corvette bodies repaired, or just call a few auto body places and find out if they do fiberglass, you may be surprised.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I had a scary but "no bodily harm" accident on a trip we just got back from. (Details if you want them, but the moral of the story is watch out for wild drivers and keep your trailer brakes adjusted!) My question: Should my local RV dealer and repair people do the estimate? As far as I can tell they have no experience of fiberglass RV's outside of ours and I wonder if they'll be able to spot structural damage beyond the obvious bend in the tongue. I'm near Harrisonburg, VA, and I'm not sure where the nearest folks are who would be good at giving us the damage estimate, but maybe our local folks are alright? Opinions?

Thanks!
Bruce and Ann
I know it's a long ways but I just got a look a a friend's 19 that was nearly totaled in a interstate crash , hit by a car a high speed. It went to Scamp in Backus ...
The repair is FLAWLESS! It was also done in a timely manner. The price beat the body shops too , I guess the factory has a better understanding of the product.
Someone in a car missed their exit and turned directly into his truck and trailer from the median.Totaled the truck and smashed the trailer back to the axle. causing damage to both sides of his fiver.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:51 AM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Just for information sake, Corvette bodies have been a composite material for years, not fiberglass!
Old 07-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Just for information sake, Corvette bodies have been a composite material for years, not fiberglass!
True story. But, the older ones (that need all the body work) are fiberglass as are the replacement hoods/fenders that are being built. hummm where's that link.....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:25 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... If it were me I certainly would want it to go back to the Factory...It may be a long haul but if it's worth doing it's worth doing right!!! IMHO.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. ssssorry about the need to do this because of someone's careless driving!!!
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Quote:

Thanks!
Bruce and Ann
I got clipped by a semi last week and have gotten three quotes in the Madison, WI area. The two from RV dealers were $1,400 and $1,900, The boat shop (who really understood what was needed) quoted me $4,300! That plus a new axle with brakes is more than I paid for my old egg. Check around for a shop that works on all kinds of small trailers - boat, farm, utility - they deal with frames and axles all the time and have parts in stock. Hope your repairs go better than mine!
CeliaL is offline   Reply With Quote