Adapter help please - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Adapter help please

Can someone point out to me (at say Amazon) the type of adapter I need to plug my Scamp into my normal home electric socket. Looks like it will be some HUGE type of adapter for that monstrous Scamp cord plug.

Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Sounds like you've got a 30-amp cord- is that right? If so, you don't need anything more complicated than this three-dollar part.

Do keep in mind that you'll only be able to draw the standard 15amps from the outlet. Don't try the microwave, air conditioner, fridge and hair dryer all at the same time!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #3

Texas
Thank you thank you. And if the house doesn't blow up, hugs too.

Sharon
Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #4

Texas
PS -- I've got whatever that big black cord is that's attached and standard on a Scamp 16'.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #5

Texas
-- Wow, $3 plug and $10 shipping at PPL? Unreal. Let me check Amazon where I can use prime for free shipping. But ty for showing me what I need!!!

S.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
This is what you need at Amazon.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you have an RV part dealer close by... EVEN WalMart.... don't pay shipping!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #8

Texas
Thanks.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
PS -- I've got whatever that big black cord is that's attached and standard on a Scamp 16'.
Its a 30 AMP and the recommendation made will work just fine to connect it to the house power. You should be able to pick one up at any Camping World or local RV shop.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #10

Texas
One more question ... a while back I got a Progressive Industries SSP30 Smart Surge. Would it be useful in any way for me to use this surge protector gizmo while plugged in at home?

Also, I was just reading to be VERY CAREFUL not to turn much on in the Scamp (maybe not the A/C) because of overheating problems plugging in at home. Is this true? Same for microwave? I know now not to turn them all on at same time, but how about individually only?

Sharon
Old 03-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
I've run the AC in mine before without any problems and a few lights. Never been a problem for me personally.

I will gladly pay a couple bucks shipping to save me 40 minutes out of my day going to Walmart along with a couple of bucks in gas to get there!

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Using the surge protector can never hurt. I dont have an AC or Microwave so have never used either when plugged into only 110 power but I have used my TV & DVD and toaster oven & other electronics many times without a problem.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #13

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:

Also, I was just reading to be VERY CAREFUL not to turn much on in the Scamp (maybe not the A/C) because of overheating problems plugging in at home. Is this true? Same for microwave? I know now not to turn them all on at same time, but how about individually only?

Sharon

It's about amps! The problem would be that the household plug won't provided enough amps to run the AC.... But as Brian said, I too have turned it on. I don't run it though, because I don't want to put undo stress on my AC for not having enough power provided.
Personally I don't use a mircrowave even at home so blowing up a micro wouldnt' bother me , but check how many amps your micro uses and make the decision for your self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan L. View Post

I will gladly pay a couple bucks shipping to save me 40 minutes out of my day going to Walmart along with a couple of bucks in gas to get there!

I take it you don't care for Walmart Bryan! I personally would drive across town to avoid walking into a Walmart........
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
One more question ... a while back I got a Progressive Industries SSP30 Smart Surge. Would it be useful in any way for me to use this surge protector gizmo while plugged in at home?

Sharon
The surge protector won't hurt anything, but unless you've got sensitive electronics aboard the trailer I wouldn't bother with it when at home. Use in RV's is often recommended due to unpredictable wiring at RV parks, some of which have whatchamighcall jerry-rigged systems.

There won't be any overheating problems because the 15amp circuit you're plugging into will just trip if you try to draw power beyond that limit. That's what the breaker's there for!

Francesca
Old 03-12-2013, 05:39 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My local Walmart has this adapter for about $5. It is a surprisingly nice Walmart, probably because of the area.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
The surge protector won't hurt anything, but unless you've got sensitive electronics aboard the trailer I wouldn't bother with it when at home. Use in RV's is often recommended due to unpredictable wiring at RV parks, some of which have whatchamighcall jerry-rigged systems.

There won't be any overheating problems because the 15amp circuit you're plugging into will just trip if you try to draw power beyond that limit. That's what the breaker's there for!

Francesca
The problem is not the circuit breaker as Francesca says The problem is the length of the wire in the circuit (From breaker panel to the outlet plus the length of extension cord to the trailer) ="voltage drop" If your running the AC or a heater then voltage drop is an issue. Running your refer or a few lights is not much of a load and is not a voltage drop problem. I am surprised how many people who believe that when a fuse blows or a breaker trips that indicates a defective fuse or breaker. I have watched people change a fuse 5 or 6 times because it keeps blowing and tell me they got a box of bad fuses
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The problem is not the circuit breaker as Francesca says The problem is the length of the wire in the circuit (From breaker panel to the outlet plus the length of extension cord to the trailer) ="voltage drop" If your running the AC or a heater then voltage drop is an issue. Running your refer or a few lights is not much of a load and is not a voltage drop problem. I am surprised how many people who believe that when a fuse blows or a breaker trips that indicates a defective fuse or breaker. I have watched people change a fuse 5 or 6 times because it keeps blowing and tell me they got a box of bad fuses
A question I have, now that this topic has been opened. On my Bigfoot, I have a 15 amp outlet plugged into the house. In the Bigfoot I put in 2 separate AC circuits from the new PD4045 converter. Does this mean I can run two high power appliances, eg a microwave on one circuit and say a heater on the other without tripping the breaker? I actually tried two 1500 watt heaters on the two different circuits, and the breaker did not trip. Is this safe to do. Thanks, Jim
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #18

Registry
Weakest link in the chain rule:

If both those separate circuits inside the Bigfoot are drawing power from the single 15amp plug in off the trailer, the draw is limited to that.

While the PD4045 has provisions for two 15amp circuits, it can't/won't deliver more A/C current than it's receiving.

I'm also a little puzzled as to the configuration of the Bigfoot wiring- isn't the power cord itself connected to a 15amp breaker in the trailer?

Francesca
Old 03-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #19

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Jim,
If you were to run a 10a device on each of the branches from the PD4045 at the same time you should trip the 15a breaker at the house. If you were running the two heaters at maximum and at the same time it should have tripped the house breaker assuming it was rated 15a.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Jim, There is a time / current relationship on all breakers your two 1500 W should have been drawing 25A, assuming that they were at full power, and your breaker is rated at 15A. At 1.5 time the rated current, it should have tripped after about a minute. If not, you may want to get that checked.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote