Added wear to the alternator? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2021, 08:12 AM   #1

Name: Vic
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Added wear to the alternator?

I'm wondering whether it's possible that the PD4135 converter/inverter in my Trillium 4500 is adding wear to the car alternator when the trailer is hooked up to the car. Recently I had to replace the car alternator. It was only a few years old. The PD4135 charges the trailer battery when I'm pulling the trailer. Other than charging the trailer battery, there are no large power draws in the trailer, just the lights and the converter for changing 12V DC 120 volts AC.
Has anyone else had their car alternators fail after installing a PD4135 or similar unit?
Vic Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:48 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Berger View Post
I'm wondering whether it's possible that the PD4135 converter/inverter in my Trillium 4500 is adding wear to the car alternator when the trailer is hooked up to the car. Recently I had to replace the car alternator. It was only a few years old. The PD4135 charges the trailer battery when I'm pulling the trailer. Other than charging the trailer battery, there are no large power draws in the trailer, just the lights and the converter for changing 12V DC 120 volts AC.
Has anyone else had their car alternators fail after installing a PD4135 or similar unit?
I assume you mean converter.
It is important that your converter and batteries are good and installed properly,but your alternator failure is likely a coincidence.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:10 PM   #3

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
What was the output on the alternator? I have junk yard upgraded my vans alt. with a 120 amp unit. I added some heavy draws on my truck . For $400 I found a 225 amp alt. . Bit of overkill but can run four fans, 1000 watt amp, two light bars. Did your unit cause the failure or was the alternator never up for the job. You never mention make model year of your tv. It is easy to look up what your stock alternator puts out, or just call your dealership and ask. They might suggest a upgrade, or look at the aftermarket.
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 08:32 PM   #4

Ontario
It's probably 90 amps
Old 11-20-2021, 10:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Berger View Post
It's probably 90 amps
Not a terrible guess.

The OP didn't say what year or make but of my two late model Fords, one is 150A and the other is 170A.
Most newer cars require higher Amp alternators since they have so much electronics and even "keep alive" power which requires quick recovery.
My 1995 Mustang stock alternator is 130A
Years ago (1966 Falcon) was 45A

A typical starter will draw as much as 250A when engaged...
In contrast,
An RV trailer being towed down the road with no fridge load and minimal other loads running will draw very little to a good battery,certainly less than the TVs parking lights or A/C fan.

Disclaimer...
I didn't do the math or break it down to individual electrons.
Just generalizing, not trying to be precise or technical.
(its late)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 05:57 AM   #6

Ontario
reply to Floyd

I had searched online for alternators (for my 2003 Outback) and the ones that came up were 90 amps so I figured mine is also that.
By the way Floyd, thanks for replying, I really appreciate it.
I forgot to mention that I've had the fridge running on the 12 volt setting while pulling the trailer. I know they draw quite a bit. Maybe that's the problem. In any case I'm going to look into getting larger alternator. I didn't even know I could till you told me. So thanks.
Moving on... I need to get away, ie: out of my house, away from my so-called partner. Can't waste my life here. I've been working on the trailer for months now with that goal in mind. Would you happen to know a place I can park it without disturbances while I mind my own business? I plan to hit the road very soon.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:42 AM   #7

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The alternator will see little extra "wear" with higher loads as the brushes carry only a max of about 5 amps to excite the alternator field and the rest is basically just balanced loads on the bearings that would be the same for any load and rpm of the engine.
The diodes would see higher loads, but I would not consider them to be wear items.
Often alternator brushes fail due to operating in dusty conditions and they do wear, however I doubt that the added load of a feed to a trailer would make much difference in real life.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote