Adding a gfci outlet outside Scamp 13’er. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2020, 09:57 AM   #1

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2020 13’ Scamp
Maryland
Adding a gfci outlet outside Scamp 13’er.

Hello - First, I’d like to say that I am so impressed at all of the great mods, help expertise and general information I’ve found here.
Through my search, I may have missed a thread on adding an outside gfci outlet on the door side of a Scamp. I’d think it isn’t too difficult but thought I’d check with you experts. Cutting fiberglass I understand, requires taping off where the cut line is. My question centers around the wiring located under dinette/big bed on the door side. Is there 120 wiring there at all? Do I need to run a new three wire harness from the inverter? Am I on the right track? I appreciate any advise I can get. Thanks in advance.

Robin
Robink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:01 AM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Robin, you don't state the year of your Scamp. If it is an unmodified classic, then more than likely the only 120 AC wiring is in the kitchen cabinets, in which case you would need to run new wires.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:15 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Run a separate 14/2 or 12/2 NM cable from the converter panel to the receptacle location putting your outside GFCI on a breaker by itself
Both our Casita and Escape had the outside GFCI receptacle on the same circuit as the kitchen counter top receptacle . Every time we tried to cook breakfast outdoors and keep the coffee warm the circuit breaker tripped
The other problem was every time it rained the outside GFCI tripped ,killing the power to half the trailer and requiring you to go outside in the rain to reset the GFCI ——-A REAL PITA
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:42 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My Scamp has a GFI under the closet. I mounted a 120 on the outside and wired to it. Been that way for about 10 yrs now with NO issues. My counter has a separate plug- non-GFI so I dont have to worry about tripping that breaker when I have appliances plugged in on the outside.

If you dont have a GFI nearby, I would take the other advice and run a wire to your box; should be extra slots in your electrical panel to add a breaker.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:44 AM   #5

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
GFCI

Installed location of outside GFCI on our Scamp. Also installed one on interior.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6412.jpg   IMG_6468.jpg  

Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:53 AM   #6

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Robin, you don't state the year of your Scamp. If it is an unmodified classic, then more than likely the only 120 AC wiring is in the kitchen cabinets, in which case you would need to run new wires.
Oops! She’s a 2020 with bunks.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #7

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Run a separate 14/2 or 12/2 NM cable from the converter panel to the receptacle location putting your outside GFCI on a breaker by itself
Both our Casita and Escape had the outside GFCI receptacle on the same circuit as the kitchen counter top receptacle . Every time we tried to cook breakfast outdoors and keep the coffee warm the circuit breaker tripped
The other problem was every time it rained the outside GFCI tripped ,killing the power to half the trailer and requiring you to go outside in the rain to reset the GFCI ——-A REAL PITA
Thank you Steve- great to know. I thought I’d have to run a new cable. Hoping it’s not hard to route it to the other side.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:57 AM   #8

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
My Scamp has a GFI under the closet. I mounted a 120 on the outside and wired to it. Been that way for about 10 yrs now with NO issues. My counter has a separate plug- non-GFI so I dont have to worry about tripping that breaker when I have appliances plugged in on the outside.

If you dont have a GFI nearby, I would take the other advice and run a wire to your box; should be extra slots in your electrical panel to add a breaker.
Thanks Darral! Will do.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:00 AM   #9

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Jackie C View Post
Installed location of outside GFCI on our Scamp. Also installed one on interior.
Cool. May I pick your brain about where you channeled the cable? Did you use same route as the other harness? And why one inside? Near sink or bathroom?

Thank you Bob and Jackie!
Old 12-17-2020, 11:01 AM   #10

Maryland
Thanks Alex. I think I’ll add a new cable to an independent breaker.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:06 AM   #11

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robink View Post
Thank you Steve- great to know. I thought I’d have to run a new cable. Hoping it’s not hard to route it to the other side.
Not difficult , just takes time
We often camp with our oldest daughter, SIL and their 4 children
I make breakfast outside on a large electric griddle for the whole crew
I got tired of resetting the CB everytime the coffee pot kicked on
Your usage may differ
From my over 40 years experience as an electrician I’ve found that adding receptacles to existing circuits often created as many problems as it solved
A GFCI and a few ft of cable is not a large enough expense to worry about
I just added 2 - 120VAC receptacles to our Escape , both on separate circuits , that way we can plug our electric heater in and not wake up to a cold trailer cause the breaker tripped in the middle of the night .
Old 12-17-2020, 11:10 AM   #12

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Not difficult , just takes time
We often camp with our oldest daughter, SIL and their 4 children
I make breakfast outside on a large electric for the whole crew
I got tired of resetting the CB everytime the coffee pot kicked on
Your usage may differ
From my over 40 years experience as an electrician I’ve found that adding receptacles to existing circuits often created as many problems as it solved
A GFCI and a few ft of cable is not a large enough expense to worry about
Is a GFCI for the camper any different from a home GFCI? Tyat
Old 12-17-2020, 11:13 AM   #13

Maryland
Can I just drill a hole big enough for the cable to fit through and put a 1x2 inside as support for screws in GFCI unit? Thanks all - again!
Old 12-17-2020, 11:40 AM   #14

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Is a GFCI for the camper any different from a home GFCI? Tyat
Trailers use standard residential grade GFCI available at any home center
There is a difference in quality between manufacturers . I would buy a name brand outdoor rated ,GFCI ( Leviton , Hubbel , Bryant , Le Grande ) and avoid the low end Chinese ones sold by HD & Lowes .
The cost difference is about $5 or $6
Old 12-17-2020, 11:40 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
They make surface-mount boxes but be sure to find a weather resistant one. Also, use a weather resistant GFI unit. We had to replace an exterior one on our house and that was what I was directed to buy (fortunately my grandson is a journeyman electrician. )
Quote:
Can I just drill a hole big enough for the cable to fit through and put a 1x2 inside as support for screws in GFCI unit? Thanks all - again!
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:21 PM   #16

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
If running a line to the converter with a circuit breaker, why use a GFCI ?
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:45 PM   #17

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
If running a line to the converter with a circuit breaker, why use a GFCI ?
The NEC requires that outdoor receptacles must be GFCI protected which can be accomplished with a GFCI receptacle or a GFCI circuit breaker
A GFCI receptacle costs about 1/3 what a GFCI breaker costs
You have to enter the trailer and get down on your knees to reset the GFCI breaker . Resetting the receptacle at the point of usage is far easier
A standard circuit breaker is an over current device that protects the wiring system . A GFCI protects human life
Both are useful and necessary but they perform two totally separate / different functions
Old 12-17-2020, 07:27 PM   #18

Maryland
To all of you on this thread

I want to thank you all again for all your input, insights and great advise! I really appreciate this discussion. Hope you all have great Holidays!

Robin
Old 12-18-2020, 02:54 PM   #19

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Thanks Steve.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:50 PM   #20

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I put a GFCI on the outside of my old Scamp and I put a metal box on the inside and ran screws long enough the pull it up.
I installed a spring loaded weatherproof cover on it. Right next to that I put an second covered setup for the Cable TV and Sat TV coax.
Since I liked how that worked I put a second cover only at the rear to have acovered hole to run ham radio coax out to the antennas. I could have put a couple of SO-239s there and sealed it up with the antennas connected, but I just installed the hole with the cover.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp