Adding a Hitch extender ??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2021, 12:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Adding a Hitch extender ???

My trailer is currently in storage so I can’t get exact measurements

The issue I have is that the tailgate of my Jeep hits the spare tire so I cannot open it completely

I was thinking of adding a short ( the shorter the better ) hitch extender

I thinking approximately 8” might do it

The trailer weight is 1300lb full loaded... it is a “ fiberglass little joe)

Has anyone done something similar and what if any issues did you have ??

I don’t have the actual tongue weight but I’m pretty sure it is approx 15% of total weight

Thanks in advance
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:33 PM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
You could see if there is something like this for your class hitch:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
You could see if there is something like this for your class hitch:

Ya that’s kind of what I have in mind... somewhere I read that it greatly lowers hitch capacity

Has anyone tried something like this ??
Old 02-09-2021, 01:21 PM   #4

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
That is the one I use for my 13 foot boler which weighs 1250 lbs loaded. It tows just great and I haven't noticed any problems with it.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:05 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Ya that’s kind of what I have in mind... somewhere I read that it greatly lowers hitch capacity

Has anyone tried something like this ??
Placing the trailer ball further from the rear wheels of the tow vehicle means that the tongue weight will have greater leverage. This can increase rear suspension sag, etc.

Maybe with a Little Joe and the Wrangler this won't be an issue. You could try weighing the tongue weight of the Little Joe. eTrailer has an illustration of how to do this with a bathroom scale. Then maybe you could put a stout board into the receiver on the Jeep and apply weight that would be the same as the trailer and observe whether it appears to be a problem.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:13 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
p/o had someone weld about 12in on to the tounge it makes things so much beter!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:20 PM   #7

Okay so I just returned from our storage facility and I determined that I could get by with a 6” ext
However a 7” would be ideal
So after reading the responses I recvd ( thanks everyone).... I’m still up in the air as to going this route or learning to live with the inconvenience
Decisions decisions well I guess with covid still hanging around for awhile... camping put on the back burner I have time to weigh things out
Old 02-09-2021, 08:01 PM   #8

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
After installing a power jack, my SUV tailgate wouldn't clear. A longer ball mount from etrailer solved the problem. No noticeable towing problems.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:20 PM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
The issue I have is that the tailgate of my Jeep hits the spare tire so I cannot open it completely ..
Put the spare tire in the Jeep?

BTW, I keep my trailer spare in the tow veh when traveling and in the garage when not. That has the added benefit of keeping it out of the sun so it will last longer.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Put the spare tire in the Jeep?

BTW, I keep my trailer spare in the tow veh when traveling and in the garage when not. That has the added benefit of keeping it out of the sun so it will last longer.

Again thanks for all of the suggestions
Still trying to make a decision
Old 02-10-2021, 01:08 PM   #11

Name: @cozylivingmachine
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
We have a 16 Foot Scamp and a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Our shocks are very soft, great for off road, not so great towing. We needed our 12" extension and have towed cross country without a single issue! We even have a little bolt on plate under the extension bit to help with any movement of the piece and that helps stifle any extra noises too! We were hesitant to move weight back from the rear axle, but now we wouldn't give it a second thought. Granted, we're at 2,200# or so loaded.
BernieMac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:21 PM   #12

Hitch exy

Bernie mac
Can you show me what you use or tell me where you got it
Thanks in advance
Also did you have to lengthen tow chains & cable
I’d love to see a picture
Old 02-10-2021, 02:30 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
This is one example. We've used this one for several years and it's worked really well.

StowAway Hitch Tightener, Anti-Rattle Stabilizer for 2 Inch and 1.25 Inch Hitches

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
StowAway Hitch Tightener 03.jpg   StowAway Hitch Tightener 02.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:04 PM   #14

Washington
Quote:
Bernie mac
Thanks in advance
Happy to help! Amazon link to our specific trailer hitch extension:

https://www.amazon.com/Receiver-Leng...omotive&sr=1-1

And @Civilguy gave a good link for one of the little stabilizer pieces on the bottom. We already had an anti-rattle piece from a previous bike rack, but that's the same thing!

I've attached photos of our extender, just feel free to ignore the cant of our hitch, we just got a new anti-sway bar setup and it's needing adjustment however, we've put MANY miles on our Scamp without a WD/anti-sway hitch and just the extender, no problems other than on-coming traffic being angry about the LED headlights, understandably. However, we also towed without the extension, and it feels exactly the same to us.
Attached Thumbnails
20210210_154814.jpg   20210210_154818.jpg  

Old 02-11-2021, 08:01 AM   #15

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
This is one example. We've used this one for several years and it's worked really well.

StowAway Hitch Tightener, Anti-Rattle Stabilizer for 2 Inch and 1.25 Inch Hitches

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

we have used this hitch tighner for a long time and it works!
Old 02-11-2021, 09:35 AM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 17B
Ontario
I extended the hitch on my truck so the tailgate cleared the trailer jack. I have a full sized pickup truck with allowed tongue weight of 650 lbs. I tow a small trailer with tongue weight of less than 400 lbs loaded. I have towed across the country with an extended hitch with no problem. The tow vehicle is level with the trailer on. Pickups are usually high in the rear unloaded.

I think the concern is the increased apparent tongue weight. Could that exceed the vehicle or hitch manufacturers rated maximums ?

The rear axle can be viewed as a fulcrum. The distance from the centre of the axle to the ball is the original length of the lever. Adding 7” to that will increase the mechanical advantage of the lever effectively increasing the weight on the ball. How much depends on the original distance from the rear axle to the ball.

This could cause more rear end sag and lift to the front of the vehicle. This can effect braking and vehicle stability. It might impact on how much gear you can carry in the back of your tow vehicle. A lot depends on your vehicle and trailer, as well as how gear carry and how you load it.

Bob
Lanarkwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:37 AM   #17

Missouri
our tongue has been extended 12in never saw or had a prblem!
Old 02-11-2021, 01:12 PM   #18

Washington
Quote:
Bernie mac
Thanks in advance
Sorry for the delay in response. I posted yesterday and it must not have been approved! But I've attached photos of our setup. We've not had a single issue with our hitch extension. Even off road with and without the Scamp, it has been solid as can be! It's definitely taken a few hits, and with a little Rustoleum to ensure it doesn't rust, you wouldn't even know it has been abused! Here is the link for our extender:

We did not have to extend the tow chains at all, no issues there, and in fact, this prevented us from having to get fancy and prevented dragging the links of the chain during more bumpy rides. For our emergency brake wire, we didn't originally need to extend that, but after adding our WD hitch setup recently (the Rubicon shocks are pretty soft -- great off road, not so great for the eyes of oncoming drivers), it required that we add a little carabiner just for added length to prevent pulling the plug on a bigger turn. Worst case, Amazon's customer service is pretty solid and if it doesn't work for you, they'll send you a label for return. No harm, no foul!

I hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails

Old 02-11-2021, 01:18 PM   #19

Washington
Quote:
Bernie mac
Thanks in advance
Sorry for the delay in response. I posted yesterday and it must not have been approved! But I've attached photos of our setup. We've not had a single issue with our hitch extension. Even off road with and without the Scamp, it has been solid as can be! It's definitely taken a few hits, and with a little Rustoleum to ensure it doesn't rust, you wouldn't even know it has been abused! I would attach a link but it seems my account does not allow that. However, if you search Amazon for "HITOWMFG Trailer Hitch Receiver Tube Extender 2" Receiver with Pin&Clip, 12" Length, 3500 lbs" you will see what we got!

We did not have to extend the tow chains at all, no issues there, and in fact, this prevented us from having to get fancy and prevented dragging the links of the chain during more bumpy rides. For our emergency brake wire, we didn't originally need to extend that, but after adding our WD hitch setup recently (the Rubicon shocks are pretty soft -- great off road, not so great for the eyes of oncoming drivers), it required that we add a little carabiner just for added length to prevent pulling the plug on a bigger turn. Worst case, Amazon's customer service is pretty solid and if it doesn't work for you, they'll send you a label for return. No harm, no foul!

I hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails

Old 02-12-2021, 11:56 AM   #20

Again thanks to all that responded
( one of the best sites)
I’m thinking I may try a 7” extender but after I get an accurate tongue weight