Adding Solar Panels - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #21

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
Mike,

I too hesitated about the mounting method to use when I installed two 80 watt panels on my Bigfoot last year. After much research and deliberation, I decided on the VHB tape. I used much larger Z brackets than were supplied with my panels. The Z brackets I used have a contact area of 2 x 4 inches vs. the 1 x 1 ½ inch supplied with panels. See attached pictures.

After one year and 4,000 miles, I have had no problems. The panels are very secure and feel like they would be difficult to remove. I will be at the Bigfoot Rally this year where you could take a closer look if you are attending.

I still plan on writing a detailed procedure on my solar installation.

Dean

Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar_Panel_Mount_01_DS_for_forum.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	22715

Name:	Solar_Panel_Mount_06_DS_for_forum.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	22716

Name:	Solar_Panel_Mount_05_DS_for_forum.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	22717

Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #22

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
Morgan, Would you feel comfortable using VHB tape to hold your solar panels on?
I would.

With the caveat Gina raised; clean, clean, clean.

And Dean illustrates a good point; larger surface area means better adhesion.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:42 AM   #23

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Thanks Dean & Morgan. I really appreciate the feed back.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Thanks Dean & Morgan. I really appreciate the feed back.
Why don't you just tell Lori to handle it; you know she'll do it right.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Why don't you just tell Lori to handle it; you know she'll do it right.

She is in charge of the important stuff and is letting me play with this.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #26

Where would you recommend I buy my solar panels from?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #27

After checking with another on-line friend I am considering this system.

http://www.amsolar.com/am100.html
Old 08-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #28

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
The MPPT technology in a Solar controller is worth the money.
Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #29

Quote:
After checking with another on-line friend I am considering this system.

http://www.amsolar.com/am100.html
Try these guys in Scottsdale.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Try these guys in Scottsdale.
Thanks, I called them and they are on a different time zone so I missed them. So I contacted them via email.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #31

There is a tax credit available. Here is the info:

Solar Investment Tax Credit
In October 2008, the Energy Improvement and Extension Act of 2008 extended solar tax credits until December 31, 2016. In February 2009, The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 removed the maximum credit amount for all eligible technologies (except fuel cells) placed in service after 2008.

Here is a summary of the current Solar Investment Tax Credit:
A taxpayer may claim a credit of 30% of qualified expenditures for a system that serves a dwelling unit located in the U.S. used as a residence by the taxpayer. Expenditures with respect to the equipment are treated as made when the installation is completed. If the installation is on a new home, the "placed in service" date is the date of occupancy by the homeowner. Expenditures include labor costs for onsite preparation, assembly, or original system installation and for piping or wiring to interconnect a system to the home. If the federal tax credit exceeds tax liability, the excess amount may be carried forward to the succeeding taxable year. The maximum allowable credit, equipment requirements, and other details vary by technology as
outlined below.

Solar-electric property
• There is no maximum credit for systems placed in service after 2008. The maximum credit is $2,000 for systems placed in service before January 1, 2009.
• Systems must be placed in service from January 1, 2006, through December 31, 2016.
• The home served by the system does not have to be the taxpayer’s principal residence.

note:
RV's have been accepted by the IRS as a second home for tax purposes. This makes your RV eligible for this tax credit. As always, consult with your Tax adviser or CPA to make sure this applies to you and your situation.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #32

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Like LEDs, I am at a loss as to why SO many solar supply companies charge so much for a product that can be had realistically for 1/2 to even more less than others.

And it really has nothing to do with quality in most cases, it has to do with flash and projecting the image of this all being rocket science.

It is not. If you can hook up your home stereo, you already have MORE experience and expertise than needed.

Mike, take a look Here. Sun Electric in Florida. Check the options and prices.

I hate to see you spend so much money... I am extremely happy with the panels and prices and service I got from these folks.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #33

Thanks Gina. Now to decide.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:48 PM   #34

Trailer: 1999 21 ft Bigfoot (2500 series)
Quote:
Thanks Gina. Now to decide.

Can't wait to see what you decide and how much it all cost you. That will help me decide for mine.

Alexandra
Alexandra B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Can't wait to see what you decide and how much it all cost you. That will help me decide for mine.

Alexandra
After talking to y’all on this forum and some full timers that boondock a lot I’ve decided to call AM Solar and take advantage of their Special. It has a MPPT controller and a custom 100 Watt panel that optimizes the MPPT controller’s capability.

Here is the one I’m considering: http://www.amsolar.com/am100.html

I measured my trailer and it will fit very well.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:14 AM   #36

Trailer: 1999 21 ft Bigfoot (2500 series)
Quote:
After talking to y'all on this forum and some full timers that boondock a lot I've decided to call AM Solar and take advantage of their Special. It has a MPPT controller and a custom 100 Watt panel that optimizes the MPPT controller's capability.

Here is the one I'm considering: http://www.amsolar.com/am100.html

I measured my trailer and it will fit very well.
cant wait to see how it looks!
Alexandra B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:27 AM   #37

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Like LEDs, I am at a loss as to why SO many solar supply companies charge so much for a product . . . it really has nothing to do with quality in most cases, it has to do with flash and projecting the image of this all being rocket science . . .
I agree with Gina. There is way too much hype about how high-tech solar panel systems are, and marketing folk use the hype to scare/convince people they need fancy, expensive components to make the system work. It ain't true, folks. Unless you are building a grid-connected system that feeds power back to your electric company wiring up a solar power system is way easier than getting your Christmas lights to work.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #38

Quote:
I agree with Gina. There is way too much hype about how high-tech solar panel systems are, and marketing folk use the hype to scare/convince people they need fancy, expensive components to make the system work. It ain't true, folks. Unless you are building a grid-connected system that feeds power back to your electric company wiring up a solar power system is way easier than getting your Christmas lights to work.
Peter, I see what you and Gina are saying. My first look at Gina's Florida site seemed like all they had was large panels, not the 100 watt I'm interested in. Also, Your comments on Controllers on the other thread helped me a lot. I don't know one controller from another. Pictures and prices don't mean much to me.

I do think I want a controller with some sort of digital read out so I can tell if my batteries are getting low or are OK for the night. I have a medical need for sleep and need to make sure I have plenty of battery left.

What do you think of the [b]Sunsei Charge controller CC-20000D?
Old 08-24-2009, 11:16 PM   #39

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
What do you think of the [b]Sunsei Charge controller CC-20000D?
I do not have any direct experience with the CC-20000D, but both Sunsei and Morningstar have very good reputations, so I feel comfortable buying their products.

I went a different route with our solar system. Instead of getting an all-in-one controller and display, I bought a bare-bones Sunsei CC-10000 solar controller and a separate volts/amps meter that has really big numbers I can read without glasses. The CC-20000D's display is actually the same exact thing: a fancied-up volts meter.

Name:   09Mar15_3_Way_Porch_Light_Indicator_LED.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  35.7 KB

Given that it's a fancy volts meter and the likelihood that your Bigfoot already has a display panel that shows your various holding and fresh water tank levels you might find that it's more aesthetic to upgrade your levels panel to include a battery voltage/charge display.

Name:   multi_panel.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  16.2 KB

Your choice -- installed as part of the charge controller, as a separate volts meter like I have, or incorporated into another display panel -- they all do exactly the same job.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:46 PM   #40

My display panel is on the range hood and not very useful. So the CC-20000D is appealing to me.

Tags
solar, solar power