adhesive for wall seams - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-20-2017, 09:12 AM   #1

Name: judie
Trailer: boler
Ontario
adhesive for wall seams

We have a 13 foor boler (1973) and the walls are finished in a rubber material.. where the seams meet there is a strip of rubber about 1/2 inch wide . Some of our rubber has come off and we have tried many types of tape but nothing works.. even tried weather stripping.. any idea what we can use?
judie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
'73 Boler

Hi Judie; Welcome to another Ontarioan on the FGRV website. There are currently over 200 Ontarioans 'actively' posting here. You'll find many persons ready to offer up 'help' with any concerns you have. My SO and I also have a 1973 13' Boler, and are in the midst of its renovation. We have peeled off all of the ugly 'vinyl/rubber' seam strips that joined the several 'Ensolite' wall coverings. After thoroughly cleaning the ensolite, we are currently planning to apply standard caulking material into the seams. We will then use a damp sponge to mold the caulking to a similar texture as the ensolite, and finally repaint the entire walls and ceiling. This process seems to have been done by several others on this site, who stress retaining, rather than removing the original ensolite. I hope our proposal works well too.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:40 AM   #3

Name: BARNEY
Trailer: CASITA
Georgia
Take a look at double faced tape by 3m, sticks to damned near anything i have tried!!
BARNEYCONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:28 AM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: ventura 1300
Ontario
Boler seams.

Hi Judie , On my Boler I did just what Bullfrogeh said , It worked really well and looked far better than befor,
JvR
P.S. I'am also a Ontarioan eheheh
jvrayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:08 AM   #5

Hi Judie, I used gorilla glue on my Boler. It's been three years and it's still holding.
Dennis Hannaburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:24 AM   #6

Ontario
thank you so much.. we did exactly what you suggested and the outcome was awsome.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #7

Ontario
any idea where we can start looking for a new awning..
Old 08-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #8

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Hey Judie! I have no idea where to get an awning but this thread was helpful to me in figuring out what to do with the seams of my elephant skin ensolite. I'm posting here so the next searcher has my input. I used Loctite Power Grab construction adhesive. It's like the stuff they use to put on tub surrounds. Its like caulking, or liquid nails, but grabs and holds immediately, while still being workable like caulk. The edges of my seams we're curling away from the fiberglass and large areas were separated too. Even Gorilla tape was not holding those curled edges down. This stuff held it right down in place and then I worked it across the seams as a filler too. In one area with deep large gaps I even used a plastic squeegee like is used for Bondo body filler on cars. It worked great and 24 hours later is all set up and ready for primer and paint. Good luck on your awning search! Maybe start a new thread with that in the title and see who chimes in.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170802_222751.jpg  
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:24 AM   #9

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Judie,

Instead of an awning, we use a CLAM screen shelter:

Clam Corporation 9879 Quick-Set Escape Shelter, 140 x 140-Inch, Brown/Beige
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TMBENDS..._cQfIzb24CHMXR

https://youtu.be/6qHSO18qK18