Adhesive on Boler jalousie windows? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 10:19 PM   #1

Name: Al
Trailer: 1969 Boler 13'
Alberta
Adhesive on Boler jalousie windows?

Have been working busily on the '69 Boler 13' and making some good headway.

When we dismantled the side windows, there was an adhesive in the corners of the main frame...the one which houses the entire mechanism and has the mounting flange.

It was some impressive stuff, but did succumb to the application of a heat gun.

Now that everything is cleaned up, ready for re-assembly and the new rubbers have arrived, I've been wondering what that adhesive might be...or at least a suitable alternative.

Have been thinking something like Gorilla clear grip or Marine Goop, just wondering what others who have done the job used, and how it worked out for you.

Thanks,
Al
Gippeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:32 PM   #2

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
I did the jalousie windows on my Ventura, took them out, fixed the mechanisms and put them back. The only sealant I used was the butyl tape under the frame on the exterior.

I did find small dabs of a silicone type sealant on the windows at the ends of each piece of seal/weatherstripping to keep it from coming out. I did not do this but may yet because I have noticed 2 pieces have moved a bit.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:25 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Al, are you referring to the sealant that appears to have been applied at the joints between the aluminum window frame pieces when the window was manufactured? If so, I have the same question. On the 40 year old Hehr window that DW is currently restoring (its dis-assembled), there are small amounts of grey colored sealant at corners, etc.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:07 AM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Al, are you referring to the sealant that appears to have been applied at the joints between the aluminum window frame pieces when the window was manufactured? If so, I have the same question. On the 40 year old Hehr window that DW is currently restoring (its dis-assembled), there are small amounts of grey colored sealant at corners, etc.
That was likely to have been the original version of putty tape which like other sealing putty such as plumbers putty or the window mounting putty does harden over time. The new and much preferred version of putty tape is made with Butyl rubber and it does not harden. It is an excellent "lifetime" sealant and is very easy to work with. You don't really need to research what it was as those old formulas of sealant have now been surpassed with new ones.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:54 AM   #5

Name: Al
Trailer: 1969 Boler 13'
Alberta
John in Michigan....That's the stuff I'm referring to. My best guess for the original stuff is some kind of Urethane...but I'm not sure they even "had" urethane adhesives in '69. Mine was grey and quite hard, but still had some stretch to it...and considering it's 49 years of age....a considerable amount of "stay stuck" left in it.

K. Corbin....the aluminum frames were "glued"/sealed at the corners with some sort of liquid adhesive (which is what we're looking for) and installed to the shell with putty tape.

Edit: Changing some search words turned this up...this looks like a good option if there are no better suggestions..and IF I can find it lol. Will call the glass shop when they open.

Polyurethane sealant is perfect for sealing doors and windows and for gluing metals | Wolf Group MastersClub

Edit 2: Pursuing the urethane/polyurethane sealant tangent...seems most any home building center will have a similar product.

Al
Gippeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:36 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Al, I agree with your thoughts. k corbin, these are butt joints, so maybe 1/16" surface contact between 2 pieces of window frame. Like the mitered corners of an aluminum picture frame, except that in the case of the Trillium Hehr windows, the they are butt joints. I don't think butyl tape would work.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, jalousie windows, windows