advice re: awnings for 13' Trillium - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #21

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
The older style E channel can be seen from different angles here:
Boler Awning pictures by canobuilder_photos - Photobucket
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #22

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
OK,
I'll try to describe it differently. Look at the channel that holds the awning and legs on the front of the Awning. On the old style the profile looks like a letter E, on the new style one channel faces the ground and one faces the trailer.
Found a picture here on FGRV of one similar to the new style:

Mines exactly like this one the leg instead of going straight down (which it can of course) it pivots back to the trailer and fits into the brackets on the camper...sorry for taking so long... been out of town.....Hope this helps
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
..sorry for taking so long... been out of town.....Hope this helps
It helps a lot Randy,

In your abscence, I was able to figure out that there were 3 generations of the CareFree bag awning.
The old style had an E channel and the wide side of the main rail faced out.
2nd generation was like you show, measured in feet. The 7' only projected out 5.5 feet. The narrow side of the main rail faces out, wide side faces up
3rd (current) generation is stated in meters, similar main channel to what you show. Possible groove in main rail for add-a-room channel, I need to see one in person though. 2.57M (7') model projects out more. 6.5 or 7'

Your review has helped me decide what products, I'll use. I think you can guess which brand.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #24

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Would any of these awnings be compatible with add-on screens/walls?
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #25

Yes Luke,
Check out the websites of the various manufactures, they all seem to have some sort of cutesie marketing names.
Some are zippered, some velcroed, some need extra rafters. Intra-awning relationships can be formed, but they can also be awkward.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #26

Name: Glen
Trailer: 72 13' Boler
Manitoba
Roy,
You have both a Boler and a Trillium. I have a Boler. I am wondering if you ended up buying one of the current generation Carefree bag awnings? If it was the 2.57M size, and which camper it was for? That being said, do you think it would work on my Boler and would you recommend any particular brand of add-a-room?
grossg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #27

Glen, I had to hunt but found a 7' Carefree for the boler and a 9' for the Trillium. Both were missing parts but they are still available. The parts did not change only the sizing of the main rail and awning width.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #28

Name: Susan
Trailer: 1977 Trillium "Trilly"
Nova Scotia
Jimtesla - I know this is ages later, but do you still have that awning for the '76 Trillium? I'd certainly be interested. Thanks, Susan
rapunzellle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #29

Name: lucille
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
Manitoba
Hey Randy, What is the size of your Carefree awning on the 4500 trillium? I was lucky to find a trillium last spring, it came with the original awning, but I want to replace it. Thanks in advance for your help.
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #30

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
The awning I have on my 4500 is a 9'er....................
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #31

Name: lucille
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
Manitoba
Randy, Confusing for a newbie... I can't seem to find a 9'er. Carefree sells 8'5" or 9'10". Offhand do you know the length of the awning rail on the Trillium 4500?
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #32

Carefree went metric a few years back. Some RV places have some NOS (New Old Stock) Imperial sized awnings. Keep your eye open for awnings on kijiji and craigslist. Carefree bag awnings were stock on Rockwood tent trailers.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #33

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Carefree went metric a few years back. Some RV places have some NOS (New Old Stock) Imperial sized awnings. Keep your eye open for awnings on kijiji and craigslist. Carefree bag awnings were stock on Rockwood tent trailers.
Ironic that the metric awning does not fit the 4500mm trailer.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #34

The 3 meter should fit.
My 4500 is still in storage so I can't personally confirm for sure right now. When Carefree switched to metric sizing they also started measuring differently. Your 9' awning has about a 9'6" bag at the widest point, they provided the imperial measurement of the awning not the bag. The 3m bag awning is just shy of 10' (9'10") and has about a 9'4" awning inside the bag, they measure the metric bag at the widest point not the awning. Lucille said she needs 3" extra rail on either side of the bag to fit, so that means she needs 10'4" available to fit the rail. BUT the bag tapers in, so she actually needs less.

If I recall those few inches are somewhere in the range of where the body starts to curve on the 4500. Randy has pictures posted of a Carefree on his 4500 on post #15 of this thread. Those few inches look close enough to want to measure both the awning and trailer to be sure.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:31 AM   #35

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1976 trillium
Ontario
hi can any one help me i have a bag awning on my 13 ft trillium but there seems to be no brackets on camper it has four one inch tubing bars on it i think it might be a carefree but not sure and cannot find any name on it thanks old yeller
old yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #36

Ontario
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by old yeller View Post
hi can any one help me i have a bag awning on my 13 ft trillium but there seems to be no brackets on camper it has four one inch tubing bars on it i think it might be a carefree but not sure and cannot find any name on it thanks old yeller
thetubing bars are square
Old 07-23-2015, 10:41 AM   #37

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Do two of the bars have a plastic ball on the end. They would be the rafter tubes and the ball goes into a socket on the trailer, one at each end of the rail. The other tubes would be the legs at the outer end of the awning
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #38

Ontario
hi mary and bob the tubes are square and there is no sockets on the trailer i probably will have to take it to an rv shop i cannot find a name on it oooooH what a bill coming. thanks for the info. old yeller in on
Old 07-23-2015, 12:46 PM   #39

Name: Colleen
Trailer: Trillium
WA
Here's what I did when we lost our awning in Utah recently to a big gust of wind. I removed the bag entirely and removed the rivets that held the aluminum strip in place. These I sent to the landfill because I couldn't think of anything clever to do with them. Next, I filled in the rivet holes with sand-able marine filler, waited for it to dry, then wet-sanded the small area to smoothe. Then I ordered marine grade adhesive snap studs from Sailrite (YKK® SNAD® Clear 40mm Adhesive Backed Flexible Base Stud) and a little can of the 3M Tape Primer 94 - Adhesive Promoter. I put a little primer over the patch, a circle just bigger than the stud, let it dry, then put on the 6 snap studs over the old rivet holes. These studs are really strong and have a clear silicone base so they blend pretty well into the roof. Then I bought an EZ awning from the bus depot for a around $150. (Ezy Awning - Beige) This awning has two legs on the side away from the trailer, an "umbrella" top, and no legs on the trailer side. Then, we made 6 little rings out of dog collar ribbon -- such that they snap together to form a ring, and have a third snap that snaps to the studs mounted on the Trillium. So you snap the rings to the Trillium and then put the rings around the awning's horizontal pole -- the trailer side with no legs. Voila, as they say in France. It works really well. It's lightweight, cute, and has enough give that it won't rip your trailer apart if a wind comes up in the middle of the night. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will. This is a relatively inexpensive and lightweight solution to this problem, and you only have to be a little handy. ( :
Colleeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:36 PM   #40

Name: Colleen
Trailer: Trillium
WA
I couldn't take completely clear pics as the Trilly is parked in our driveway. The awning had to go over a few little bushes.
Colleeno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium