After the Scotty, maybe a Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Former Serro Scotty and Toyota Motor Home owner
Alabama
After the Scotty, maybe a Scamp?

So I've got 6 more hours before the eBay bid ends. It's a basic 13 foot with A/C but not a lot else. It's listed on eBay as: Scamp Trailer in Excellent Condition with A/C I should've learned my lesson when I had a few beers and paid too much for a Scotty Sportsman (now sold) last year. What I'm wondering is....do y'all think I'm paying too much? Bid is now mine at $4100 but I'm on the hook for as much as $4500 - that's my max bid. Aside from the obvious, bad smells, problems with ill-fitting doors and windows and leaks what else should I look at closely when I drive over there....possibly TOMORROW!
Redguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Buying on eBay
First, most of the real action on eBay usually takes place in the last few minutes. I have seen prices jump so fast that it takes the eBay site a few minutes to sort out the bidders than come in with 15 or fewer seconds remaining. But that said, when I am interested I will make a very early token bid then wait to snipe at about 30 seconds remaining.
If you win, about all you can hope for are some price concessions based on undisclosed condition issues. Here are some I would be concerned about and might have asked the seller about early in the process.
Tires: AGE, ferget condition, if they are 10 years old, you can't even safely tow it home.... Anything over 5 is bad news. Know how to read tire date codes.
Axle Condition: Just from the pics, that one looks a little on the low side, check the tire/wheel well clearance. Again it looks low, typical for older Scamps.
Refrigerator: Ask the seller to have it connected and running on electric at for at least 4 hours before you get there. You can test if the gas works yourself.
Electrical: Take a meter and be sure that the AC/and DC systems actually work. But count on a new battery in any case.
A/C: Take a close look at the installation for leaks and be sure it works.
Be sure the water pump works. Take about three 1 gallon jugs of water to put in the tank.
Any time that the seller tells you "We didn't use that, but it works", assume it doesn't unless proven otherwise. I have even gone as far as taking an LP tank with me for an inspection when the seller claimed he couldn't get the tank filled.
Best bet, inspect before bidding, but I know that's not always possible.
BTW: I see that the seller only posted one buyer question. I am sure more were asked, but he didn't post them for whatever reason.

Good Luck, Let us know how it turns out.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I like the toaster oven that's held up in the stove vent with a bungee. Hope that's not a sign of how other mods were done. I'd be afraid to bid that much on something that I didn't inspect first.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #4

Alabama
Thanks very much Bob Miller and Bob and Mary. Yeah, the bungee on the toaster oven was really generic. I will take a meter, have them turn the fridge on, do the water thing and all. I so appreciate your help and yes, I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you again!

Dave in Birmingham
Old 09-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Dave, Bob has given you great info. He mentioned it looks to be sitting a little low so a new axle may be needed - again as he said not uncommon for its age. If you cant put your hand width up between the tire and the wheel well that will pretty well confirm it. Re the fridge, make sure it works on Propane as well as 110.

Good luck
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Looks like maybe you were outbid. Oh well, hopefully something will come up soon that you can actually see and touch before committing all the way.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #7

Alabama
Thanks everyone. It pretty much ended like Bob said. At the last 2 minutes I was thankfully outbid. It went for $4610. I'll keep on looking and use more caution.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Dave in the documents center there is a Buyers Check List that you can down load that may help you with finding the right trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp