Air circulation in Scamp 19 Deluxe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2014, 08:30 AM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Air circulation in Scamp 19 Deluxe

I am trying to solve the problem of getting warm air to the loft of my 19' Deluxe. We just came back from a four week trip from VT to AZ. A few nights were below freezing, one down to 10F, and the loft was COLD!. When the heater is on, the natural air circulation is insufficient. I now have two 12V, 3 inch dia. blowers (from old PC power suppplies that I saved years ago) mounted inside the large storage compartment, above the shower. They move plenty of air which exits through the open doors of the compartment. I plan to cut one more 3 in. hole to distribute the air via the side compartments as well. My question is this:
How can I wire the blowers so they only operate when the Suburban furnace blower runs?
The two blowers together draw about .35Amps.
Has anyone done something like it? TIA
Paul
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Well, I found a way that seems to work quite well. I did not want to touch any of the furnace wiring for fear of causing problems in operation, and I don't want to become a self-taught RV furnace tech and have my life depend on it!
The key part is a "make on temperature rise" switch, like those that turn on blowers in kick-space heaters or fireplaces. The one I happened to have turns on at 130F, off at 110F. It is mounted with a spring and wire on the end of the furnace vent pipe, near the outside wall. When the furnace warms up, the fans turn on. It takes about 1 - 2 minutes after the furnace started. When the thermostat turns the furnace off, it takes about 5-6 minutes for the vent pipe to cool enough for the fans to turn off. The wiring goes through the cabinetry on the port side of the Scamp. I can post pictures of the setup if anybody is interested. I tested it a few times yesterday and today and I hope my DW likes it if we go camping in "spring" again.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp