Air conditioning for a scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2010, 04:22 PM   #1

Name: steve
Trailer: 87 scamp
Texas
Air conditioning for a scamp

I am new to owning a scamp and new to the forums so please bear with me and if I am in the wrong spot please redirect me. I had another thread that I just bought the 1987 Scamp 13 ft from brother in law and got some very good responses and I thank you. But my wife tried to surprise me and bought (on ebay) a new Coleman Mach III with 13500 BTU. Weighs about 110 pounds. We are now in a quandry as to how to stabilize the roof to make this work. I called about returning it but there is a 15% restocking fee and shipping both ways. Too much to end up with nothing. Any ideas on how to make this work, or even possibly is there any chance of selling this unit and starting all over again?
steve in texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve in texas View Post
I am new to owning a scamp and new to the forums so please bear with me and if I am in the wrong spot please redirect me. I had another thread that I just bought the 1987 Scamp 13 ft from brother in law and got some very good responses and I thank you. But my wife tried to surprise me and bought (on ebay) a new Coleman Mach III with 13500 BTU. Weighs about 110 pounds. We are now in a quandry as to how to stabilize the roof to make this work. I called about returning it but there is a 15% restocking fee and shipping both ways. Too much to end up with nothing. Any ideas on how to make this work, or even possibly is there any chance of selling this unit and starting all over again?
I think you will find 13,500 is about triple the size indicated for the size of the space you want to cool. If the air conditioner is too large, it is likely to cycle on and off in very short cycles and won't be practical.
Good luck... and welcome.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:41 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I contacted the Scamp factory in Minnesota a while back about adding an AC unit to the roof of my 1981 13'. They indicated that they could remove the cabinets and reinforce the roof with one inch of fiberglass - which is needed to support the AC unit. It seems like the cost was $600-700 and then the cost of the AC unit. I passed on that one.

- Bruce
BruceG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
Thirteen thousand butes is more powerful than the largest home window unit I've seen at common stores, like Sears. It's much more than you need. I handle rare A/C needs by setting the smallest 5,000 BTU unit in to my Scamp's vacant refrigerator space. With a few small fans to circulate the air, it can drop the temps by 30 degrees in a few minutes. It only cost me $40, used. You need to save the roof space for a nice high-powered fan, too. My MaxAir fan, on high exhaust, can suck the window curtains up to a 45-degree angle!
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Yeah... 13,500 BTU is extreme overkill. 5000BTU is the right size for a 13' Scamp and go with a closet or fridge-space mod. Keep the mass of the heaviest item (an A/C) you'd have in your trailer as low and as close to your axle as you can. It ain't worth the expense of a roof mod and definitely not worth risking wrecking a ceiling by sticking an AC up on a unsupported roof.

ConwayBob

Tags
scamp