Air pump extension help needed - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Air pump extension help needed

I have a Viair 300p 12 volt air pump. It attaches to the TV battery with alligator clips. It has a coiled yellow air hose. Together the pump hose will not reach the Casita tires when hitched up to the Tundra.

Is it better to lengthen the electrical wire from the battery to the pump or buy a longer coiled yellow hose extension?

I'm leaning toward buying 10 gauge wire (black and red, 20' or 30' each), put alligator clips on one end to connect to the truck battery, and lug connectors on the other end to connect to the pump alligator clips. The red new wire would be slightly longer than the black so the connectors won't touch when in use.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #2

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Using #10 wires from the battery and keeping them as short as possible would be my choice of your two options.

I will be putting a 12V plug in the rear of my trailer for this and any other need I may have.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:22 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
The simplest thing would be to buy a couple more coiled hoses and a couple of 1/4" couplings, or get a 50' length of 1/4" urethane air hose like the one linked. This is my solution for the same problem.

Then you have no electrical loss and it's easier to screw on a hose than to re-wire the compressor.

I keep threatening to install a compressor under the hood and have a quick disconnect at the back of the truck, but I never quite get around to it.

Husky 1/4 in. x 50 ft. Polyurethane Air Hose-14-50-HOM - The Home Depot
Old 06-08-2017, 10:46 AM   #4

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I expect you have a battery in Casita. Why not connect the pump to Casita's battery?
Old 06-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #5

Tennessee
Good thought on the using the Casita battery, but it is very hard to get to.

A 12v outdoor plug on the Casita is an interesting idea.

The Viair company said the yellow coil air hose is made to extend the reach.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Miami, FL
You could easily run it off the Casita battery, it's a lot closer to the trailer tires. If you're connected to the TV with the engine running there would be no issue with running down the Casita battery (if that's a concern.)

If you want to run it only off the TV, you could get a 7-pin plug, connect only the ground and hot (charge) lines, and connect that to whatever 12VDC device you want.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #7

Tennessee
Running off the Trailer battery seems reasonable, however, the compartment is very cramped and so alligator clips from the air pump cannot be clamped on the battery terminals.

However, I could permanently attach a heavy gauge wire to each terminal, with the other end ending in a butt connector, each of which would be covered when not in use. When needed the wire would be just long enough to reach outside the open door of the battery compartment. The alligator clips on the air pump could then be attached to these protruding wires. This seems like a workable solution. I will think on it.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Some of those inexpensive little compressors use odd connectors, if any, on the hoses. I bought a small 110 compressor, no tank on it, and had to fudge a fitting to be able to use a blow gun and other tools that had quick couplers.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:40 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Running off the Trailer battery seems reasonable, however, the compartment is very cramped and so alligator clips from the air pump cannot be clamped on the battery terminals.

However, I could permanently attach a heavy gauge wire to each terminal, with the other end ending in a butt connector, each of which would be covered when not in use. When needed the wire would be just long enough to reach outside the open door of the battery compartment. The alligator clips on the air pump could then be attached to these protruding wires. This seems like a workable solution. I will think on it.
Cheapest/easiest answer is to add more hose as the pump doesn't care if it's 10' or 100'. On the other hand, don't you have the 12V TV power plug under the upper rt rear cabinet? Change out the alligator clips to a cigarette type and run the air hose through the window. A number of members have installed a 12V plug just inside the door in the back of the micro cabinet just for an air pump.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:23 PM   #10

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
It makes me appreciate that my Honda Element came with the optional 12 volt outlet socket just inside the rear tail gate door
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #11

Name: Mick
Trailer: Boler 1300
Alberta
Quote:

Instead of this, wire in a permanent 12v cigarette lighter socket into the trailer. A bit safer and neater, and it can be used for other 12v accessories.
runout_mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #12

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by runout_mick View Post
Instead of this, wire in a permanent 12v cigarette lighter socket into the trailer. A bit safer and neater, and it can be used for other 12v accessories.
I have two ( one at the front and one at the back ). A 12V extension cord ( available for cheap at The Source in Canada - used to be Radio Shack ) gives me the reach I need for my tire pump.
Attached Thumbnails
12V extension cord.jpg  
Old 06-08-2017, 06:21 PM   #13

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I have two ( one at the front and one at the back ). A 12V extension cord ( available for cheap at The Source in Canada - used to be Radio Shack ) gives me the reach I need for my tire pump.
Problem is, those pumps draw 28 amps. That's why they come with clips to go directly on the battery terminals. Cigarette plugs are not wired for that, their fuses are smaller, about 10-20 amps, and the extension cords (shown) use small gauge wire too.

Better to extend the hose.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:37 PM   #14

Tennessee
Raspy, you are spot on, this is why I use alligator clips and thick wires. Those thin wire 12v outlets get way too hot for my liking. I don't use 12v for much of anything anyway.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:39 PM   #15

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
My cheap tire pump doesn't draw that much and so it works to top up a tire. I wouldn't want to inflate a tire from flat with it. Might be faster to call AAA.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:51 PM   #16

Smith Valley, Nevada
I have two smaller compressors that have factory cigarette plugs on them. They both blow the fuses in my Jeep and my Ram. And they are a lot smaller than the OP's compressor.

In my Ollie, I use the cigarette socket for charging the computer. I have a very small inverter that makes just enough 120v to run the Apple charger. That's all it gets used for.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #17

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
My cheap tire pump doesn't draw that much and so it works to top up a tire. I wouldn't want to inflate a tire from flat with it. Might be faster to call AAA.
Just think, people used to pump up tires with a hand pump. Now called a bike pump. Sheesh.

I like to air down while in the desert, but no way without a reasonable pump.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:40 PM   #18

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Problem is, those pumps draw 28 amps. ...
Most will draw much less.. but non-the-less.. I use Anderson PowerPoles rated at 30 amps (properly wired and fused to the house battery).
Attached Thumbnails
PA170450.jpg  
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:26 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Miami, FL
Quote:

I installed a terminal block in my Casita from Little House Customs in my battery box, along with a battery disconnect that uses Anderson connectors. The terminal block allows easier access to battery power as it is mounted near the door. They sell a couple of different versions, check their website.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:15 AM   #20

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Inside the the lower outside refer door there are two wire terminals from the battery with screw connectors. Get a cigar lighter plug and attach it there.