Air pumps - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 ft
Hello, We have a 13 Ft Scamp and wondering if anyone has used the portable 12V air pumps to top up the air in the tires? We were looking at the Coleman Inflate-All Quick Pump. Is this one good? Are there any others that are good? Are these products not worth the money?
jamessue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have a Black and Decker Air Station, it's an older model than this one but works just fine. I always check the tires before pulling out of the driveway. Seems simple enough to hookup and airup if necessary. Besides I have a child, I've always got bicycle tires, volleyballs or such that need air around the house. It's one of those "power tools" I have and use. And, it takes little space, so when I go... like to the Oregon Gathering, it's in the tug. I like the fact, I can plug it into the cigarette lighter if necessary... while on the road.

Others may use something else?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
For some reason, Wally was carrying the little Campbell-Hausfeld 12VDC compressor for less than $10 for a number of years, but now they are more like $30. I keep mine in my truck and have used it to inflate truck tires (My own and people I have helped) and trailer tires.

Has a max pressure of 200 or 250 psi and takes a loooong time to fill something like a repaired tire, but lots easier than changing tires. It has a very convenient setup on the tire end that allows me to put my trusted pressure gauge on a fitting while the compressor is pumping, so I can monitor the fill. Also has on/off switch on pump so I don't have to unplug it to move to the next tire.

I also carry a tire plug kit so I can repair nail holes and stuf like that without removing tire from truck; sometimes I don't even need to jack up if the puncture is visible. All very handy, esp when in the boondocks of Utah on a Sunday...

Hmm, just searched and can't find the one that plugs into cigarette lighter, just the cordless ones (I don't know if internal battery would run long enough to inflate a tire and it probably uses 120VAC to recharge, so there may have to be an inverter involved for roadside use.

Amazon has the cordless one for $16.17

http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-RP...cm_cr_pr_sims_t
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Our "Jump-it" has a battery for starting a car with a low battery, a light to see by at night, and a compressor to inflate low tires. they sell for around $50+ at many auto parts stores, Sam's Club and Cosco Stores stateside. Due to multiple uses, and the number of times we've encountered a need we "won't leave home without it"! It has also provided a handy portable source of 12V power when diagnosing wiring problems on trailers.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Northern Tools has one that U set the desired pressure and when it gets there it shuts off. This is handy as the small pumps seam to take a long time and U do not have to B there and watch. I installed a 12VDC receptacle on each side of the egg close to the tire location.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #6

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I bought this one for a number of reasons:

It is 12 volts, it has a metal housing so might last longer, it is a very fast pump, capable for use with large truck tires, so pumps mine up very fast. It just happens to have a LED light, too that is handy to use when you must use it at night. It does cost more than the cheaper varieties, but, I think its worth it. It is one of those necessary items that if you ever do need it, nothing else will suffice.

http://www.amazon.com/Bon-Aire-i7000-Goody...r/dp/B001D5HP40

John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

I have a Coleman I inherited. I like the "Y" fitting at the business end so I can take the pressure without removing the pump. It also comes in a handy little case.
My other one, whose brand escapes me at the moment, is black plastic.
Both work well. I just find myself timing the amount of pumping. The biggest problem is starting and stopping the pump. I really should add switches to both of them. Although, I found that turning the auto key to "Accessories" and off works.
I let it run for one minute and then check how much pressure I gained, this lets me know how many minutes I need for it to run for the several pounds I may need.
I used to use a hand bicycle pump. This beats that. It is not as good as a regular tire pressure thingie, but often, they want money to use those. Although Les Schwab Tire Stores, for those of you in the west, will top off your tires for free.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Hello, We have a 13 Ft Scamp and wondering if anyone has used the portable 12V air pumps to top up the air in the tires? We were looking at the Coleman Inflate-All Quick Pump. Is this one good? Are there any others that are good? Are these products not worth the money?
I use this one but only because I deflate/inflate my tires when off-roading the sand out here. Sort of overkill I am sure.
Attached Thumbnails
300p.jpg  
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote