Airstream Nest Quality... Questionable? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2019, 09:35 AM   #21

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2019 Airstream Nest
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Evenson View Post
Magpie Nest, sorry to hear about your experience with the nest. I have read similar stories about the build quality. I wonder if you are having more troubles with AS because you are not the original owner,

"........ The camper is less than a year old! And I have been the owner for less than 4 months!....."

Mark
Hi, Mark. Thanks for the concern. I had thought, initially, that this would have been an issue - being 2nd owner. But it has not been addressed or used in any way that I am aware of to not offer assistance with this matter. Much like a car that is Certified Pre-Owned, the factory warranty is still honored. In fact, through Airstream, we had the existing warranty (3 years total) transferred over to us. So, I know that is at least in their database.
Magpie Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You have to give AS the chance to correct the problems and the most reasonable way to do that is at a dealership or RV shop near you.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #23

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You have to give AS the chance to correct the problems and the most reasonable way to do that is at a dealership or RV shop near you.
I am open to that option. Hence, the reason I have an appointment with the dealership service dept. Some of the issues, I feel the dealership can address. Removing and replacing the entire vinyl flooring, which is secured and tucked in well-passed the interior walls, does not seem like a straight-forward repair. Neither does the piano hinge that holds the door to the shower on a wall that has a surface area of about 1/2 inch.

On that last point, when discussed with the service manager as to how they would fix the hinge issue (which is un-level). My concern being that the old screw holes would not make re-mounting the hinge correctly possible. His reply was, they would have to fill the old holes with epoxy and then re-mount the door.

This is a hack. Not a repair.

If you buy a new car, and the threading in the seat comes apart revealing the cushions underneath, you do not expect that their offer to super-glue the seam together is an option.

A defect... is a defect.

Now, I am going through the channels. I am going to take the Nest in for the service Dept to examine. I am simply saying, I do not feasibly see how some of the issues can be fixed to what should have been "Factory Standards" to begin with.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #24

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
My advice: only the squeaky wheel will get the grease. Don't trust the bastards.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:23 PM   #25

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
I cannot speak from personal experience but in March we camped near the campground hosts for our section at Big Lagoon SP by Pensacola. They had the very first Nest built by Airstream and were very happy with it. They had no concerns.

Sorry to hear you're having these issues.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I cannot speak from personal experience but in March we camped near the campground hosts for our section at Big Lagoon SP by Pensacola. They had the very first Nest built by Airstream and were very happy with it. They had no concerns.

Sorry to hear you're having these issues.

Adrian
Wow! Camp hosting from a Nest. There’s some folks who know how to live small!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Alan, if you read any of the fiberglass repairs and modifications posted on this forum, you would see that fiberglassing or use of epoxy IS a fix and NOT a hack. How would you go about fixing it properly? Best of luck.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:48 PM   #28

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Wow! Camp hosting from a Nest. There’s some folks who know how to live small!
Yes they full time in a Nest!
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:27 PM   #29

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Yes, we met the same couple hosting in a Nest at Big Lagoon SP in February. And they left us with the same impression: first camper off the line, very happy with it. We were impressed with their Nest as well. Quality workmanship. Great design.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #30

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Even despite the time and expense, I would head to the factory in Ohio. I would not count on the local dealer being up to speed on the nuances of the Nest.

From the little I have read, people seem to get a good response at the factory. Quality in the RV camper world is not up to the level we have become accustomed to with other major purchases.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:46 AM   #31

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Even despite the time and expense, I would head to the factory in Ohio. I would not count on the local dealer being up to speed on the nuances of the Nest.

From the little I have read, people seem to get a good response at the factory. Quality in the RV camper world is not up to the level we have become accustomed to with other major purchases.

Thanks, Bill. All of what you have said is very true. I just cannot fathom how the dealership can tackle these defects and return the Nest back to us at what should have been “factory spec” to begin with. My primary concern is that it may end up being more of a hack job than a repair.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:48 AM   #32

Texas
Video: Defects... or just how things are?

I am honoring my agreement with AS to not make the video live on YouTube - for now - but I have decided to post it here to give anyone who wishes to view it a chance to tell me: Am I wrong? Are these not defects? Is this something that others think the the dealer should, or can, fix?

youtu.be/1ZNn0HTLn-c

Due to spammer issues, the forum won’t let me post the video as a link. If any care to see the video for themselves, you can just copy/paste the address above.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #33

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Alan, if you read any of the fiberglass repairs and modifications posted on this forum, you would see that fiberglassing or use of epoxy IS a fix and NOT a hack. How would you go about fixing it properly? Best of luck.
Dave & Paula
David, I agree with your comment - an epoxy/fiberglass repair would absolutely be the solution for any damages that were to the fiberglass shell.

The comment I am making is not in regard to that. The shower interior and base pan are fiberglass, yes. The wall outside of the shower, where the shower door is hinged is not fiberglass. It is compressed wood similar to the material you see in IKEA furniture. Sealing the existing holes with any resin or glue, does not seem like a lasting fix... just something to hold things off until I am out of warranty.

Admittedly, that is a sound strategy - for the dealer. Not for the customer.

I have a video link above for better visual of what I am referring to.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #34

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If it were mine and retired (like I am) I would take it to the factory and have it fixed correctly by them.
Dealers have made their money and will be reimbursed at a lower rate than other work for warranty (usually).
The dealer does not (particularly) have their reputation tied up in the product like the manufacturer with a new product.
I would also give them a chance to buy the trailer back.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:25 AM   #35

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
If it were mine and retired (like I am) I would take it to the factory and have it fixed correctly by them.
Dealers have made their money and will be reimbursed at a lower rate than other work for warranty (usually).
The dealer does not (particularly) have their reputation tied up in the product like the manufacturer with a new product.
I would also give them a chance to buy the trailer back.
Thanks for the advice. We are not retired (yet ). Making that trip for us would be 1100+ miles one way, and more than 18 hours. We’re in Texas.

At this point, if AS or the dealer offered a buy-back option, I would take it.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:09 PM   #36

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Alan,
I feel for your concerns but you are not winning me over. I'm having trouble trying to figure out what exactly you want. I think that might be because you may not know what you want.

1st of all, if you are the 2nd owner, it is a used trailer. Do you know the full history of it? Are the panels loose because the PO crossed a border and they got searched?

From what you have posted, Airstream is being reasonable. Most manufacturers will have the dealers do their servicing. The technicians at a dealership probably have more experience resolving issues than the factory does. The factory merely assembles them using a lot of parts and materials that are common to many trailers.

You said you wanted them to agree to bring it to the factory. They agreed and it appears that you subsequently declined because they would not cover costs. AS response was for you to bring it to the dealership, which is what they said in the first place.

Why are you refusing the opportunity to have somebody that might know what is going on and what might need to be done have a look at it?

Sorry man, I find it difficult to empathize with your issues when you keep declining the people that are trying to resolve your issues.

Oh, and that orange glow ... that is sunlight coming through the fiberglass. Fiberglass is translucent.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:26 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
And, you say that you are honouring an agreement not to post a video on YouTube, but you tease the video here and then you post a link to the YouTube video.
I only scanned the video after noting that it was more than 14 minutes long. Scrolling through it, I found the same footage repeated over and over. I admit, I had the sound on mute. I suggest you cut it down to three minutes or less.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:21 AM   #38

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Unhappy something is not right

I did watch the video and have a better plan for my receiving inspection when I pick up my new Scamp in July, so thanks. It seems like you do have a legit issue with whoever you purchased that Nest from. Did you get a great deal on it, or maybe I should say reduced price? They run about $45K. If it were me I'd take the repairs and sell it. (with full disclose of course) Every time I got inside of it I'd be reminded of my mistake. If the repairs are good and you are the forgiving type, put it behind you, enjoy your camper, and speak of it no more. I am sorry for your troubles, not any fun that's for sure.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #39

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I was surprised by the "IKEA" type construction of the inside. On a home that goes up and down the highway, that is asking for loose screws and fasteners. Looks like a lot of MDF (or perhaps particle board) covered with laminate. Thats the reason for those I am starting to appreciate rivets! Or at least plywood.

Reflectrex should have prevented the sun shining through the ceiling, so it was likely cut too short.

You bought it used, right? If so, you don't know its history of use or abuse.

Bath door hung poorly for sure, its not going to be waterproof regardless. I bet there is a shower curtain inside the door. Still needs to be fixed.

Screen door handle, there should be a screw hole where the handle was originally mounted, no hole then someone missed it on the build.

Wiring, buy a few clips and fix yourself. That self adhesive stuff doesn't stick that well to reflectrix.

Drawer slide needs fixed.

Loose headliner and wall covering = mediocre build. Its an odd covering, not the usual elephant hyde and other stuff used by others.

In short, you need to go to the factory. The factory standing behind a USED trailer is awesome. Be glad its not 3,000 miles away like my Escape. Make a realistic list of expectations. I would not expect them to buy it back. Now if appliances didn't work, major plumbing leaks, etc., maybe that would be different. To me, it looks like a lot of minor stuff, that all starts with attention to detail and lack of adequate quality control at the factory. Sadly, that particular problem is common in the RV industry right now. Mostly constructed by hand (no automation), high turnover in labor, labor shortage, high demand. All together leads to a manufacturing management nightmare.

As a retired factory manager I can only imagine the headaches right now if you don't have a stable workforce. Now maybe Airstream is better, at least they are not in Elkhart, IN. If you go through the factory, keep an eye out for temporaries, younger employees, factory organization and layout, etc. One would think Thor would have that down pretty well (not their first rodeo).

Really in the quality of construction department, an Oliver Elite (the smaller one), the construction is head and shoulders higher quality. Night and day really. Without options, the smaller Oliver (which is a lot bigger than the Nest) is within a couple thousand dollars price wise. The Nest has the "cute" factor.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #40

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Alan,
I feel for your concerns but you are not winning me over. I'm having trouble trying to figure out what exactly you want. I think that might be because you may not know what you want.

1st of all, if you are the 2nd owner, it is a used trailer. Do you know the full history of it? Are the panels loose because the PO crossed a border and they got searched?

From what you have posted, Airstream is being reasonable. Most manufacturers will have the dealers do their servicing. The technicians at a dealership probably have more experience resolving issues than the factory does. The factory merely assembles them using a lot of parts and materials that are common to many trailers.

You said you wanted them to agree to bring it to the factory. They agreed and it appears that you subsequently declined because they would not cover costs. AS response was for you to bring it to the dealership, which is what they said in the first place.

Why are you refusing the opportunity to have somebody that might know what is going on and what might need to be done have a look at it?

Sorry man, I find it difficult to empathize with your issues when you keep declining the people that are trying to resolve your issues.

Oh, and that orange glow ... that is sunlight coming through the fiberglass. Fiberglass is translucent.
Hi, Roy.

Thanks for your response. Sorry if I misrepresented AS somewhere in the midst of all this - they have been reasonable and they have offered up some solutions. The best of which was, take it directly to Jackson Center. Considering that it is more than 1100 miles one way from my location in Texas, this is not a simple undertaking, even aside form travel expense.

The other option is to allow the dealer to do repairs. Well stated that I should just go this route. You make a very valid point.

I am reasonably frustrated and it obviously shows.

I have been given an appointment with the dealership to perform a thorough examination of my Nest on May 16th. The service manager has assured he will attend the matter personally.

If I am coming across as speculative as to the dealership’s ability, then I can see that the reader may feel I am not allowing due diligence. Of course, this leaves out a considerable amount of frustration ALREADY piled upon to my overall experience with the dealership to begin with.

Upon purchasing the Nest, the “service technician” assigned to our orientation literally knew less about the trailer than we did. His comment was (as I remember it) akin to, “Wow. You really know this camper... I’m learning from you.” It’s new. I get it. But, that doesn’t instill a great deal of confidence right off the bat.

While sitting with the finance officer, in the process of him excessively trying to encourage us to buy cleaning products, memberships, etc. he also misinformed my wife and I about the length of the AS factory warranty. Stating it was 1 year from time of the original purchase. In light of this fact, he was better positioned to up-sale us on their extended warranty. After learning directly from AS that the warranty was actually 3 years, we asked the the dealer to please cancel and refund our money for the extended warranty. They bucked a little, but in the end, honored our request.

4 months later, and we are still waiting for that refund check. And trust me... that is a whole thread in its own right.

BEFORE we even paid for the camper, we bought a more capable tow vehicle. It was not equipped with a tow package. The dealer assured us they could do the install for us and an appointment was set for the same day I would be picking up my Nest. Upon arrival, (which is a good 1.5 hour drive one way) I was informed that they could do the install of the 7 way because it was “European, and too complicated”.

Frustrated - understandably, I feel - I left with empty-handed... no tow package, and obviously no Nest.

Now, perhaps I am hitting all of this too heavy-handed. Perhaps.

But, if you can’t see my reasoning for being upset AND concerned at the dealer’s ability to fix this problem. Well, then I guess we can respectfully agree to disagree.

To answer your question: What do I want?

At this point, I just want them to buy the trailer back, return my money and allow me to make a more informed decision on a future camper purchase.

Still, you make a valid point. And I can appreciate that. Thank you.

Tags
airstream, airstream nest, defects, flaws, nest, problems, review, warranty