Airstream Nest Quality... Questionable? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2019, 07:17 AM   #41

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2019 Airstream Nest
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I suggest you cut it down to three minutes or less.
Thanks, Glenn. This is a good suggestion.
Magpie Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:23 AM   #42

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
I did watch the video and have a better plan for my receiving inspection when I pick up my new Scamp in July, so thanks. It seems like you do have a legit issue with whoever you purchased that Nest from. Did you get a great deal on it, or maybe I should say reduced price? They run about $45K. If it were me I'd take the repairs and sell it. (with full disclose of course) Every time I got inside of it I'd be reminded of my mistake. If the repairs are good and you are the forgiving type, put it behind you, enjoy your camper, and speak of it no more. I am sorry for your troubles, not any fun that's for sure.
Hi, Tony. Thanks for the comment, and glad that it may have helped you in some way.

We did get a good deal on the purchase. It may be that this should have been an indicator that something was wrong. To be fair, though, we were not aware of much of the issues that developed, or were already there under the surface, because we just didn’t know what to look for. Spending more time with the Nest, things began to be revealed.

I’m not saying the dealership hid anything... I’m just saying things popped up that may or may not have been known.

Next time we will be wiser in our selection.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:31 AM   #43

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I was surprised by the "IKEA" type construction of the inside...

Really in the quality of construction department, an Oliver Elite (the smaller one), the construction is head and shoulders higher quality. Night and day really. Without options, the smaller Oliver (which is a lot bigger than the Nest) is within a couple thousand dollars price wise. The Nest has the "cute" factor.
Thanks, Bill. You make some very good points, on a lot of what you said.

I cannot honestly say that I am “expecting” the dealer or AS to do a buy-back, but if the offer was made, I would accept it.

I appreciate your time and feedback.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:48 AM   #44

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I drove by my local Camping World, they are also an Airstream dealer in Richmond Va. They had seven Nests lined upon display. They must be producing them at a pretty high rate to have that many at one dealer on the east coast. I did not have time to check them out but they did look nice at a distance all lined up on display.

Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #45

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Airstream has been owned by Thor since it was first formed in 1980, so it’s hard to attribute recent quality issues to the mere fact of being part of Thor. Changes in corporate leadership, unrestrained growth, putting sales numbers and stock valuation before build quality- all of these could certainly account for the current sad state. Seems more a slow slide than a single event.
The Airstream Clipper was introduced in 1936.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airstream
When they bough NEST they moved production to Ohio.

Here it says
Thor Industries, Inc. was founded on August 29, 1980, when Wade F. B. Thompson and Peter Busch Orthwein acquired Airstream from Beatrice Foods.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_Industries
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:57 PM   #46

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thor is not known for either quality or customer service. A recent neighbor had a 2018 AS International (high-end) which he purchased new. He was a young guy and had a number of issues which he is still working on resolving; gas line issues, leaking windows, etc. As a member of the AS forums some time ago, AS has been slip-sliding away for some time since their purchase by THOR. I was at rv trader this morning and it was loaded down with Nest trailers , it appears they are spitting them and much of their aluminum line out like crazy, not a good sign when it comes to quality control.

What I might try to do is learn whom the first owner was and have a discussion to see why they "traded" it off as that could be an eye opener.

Yep, AS makes some impressive looking products, but as they say "looks aren't everything".

Always be suspicious of a "good" deal. We always "sleep" on any deal as if it gets away, it was never meant to be ours in the first place - this has worked for decades now.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:40 PM   #47

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie Nest View Post
The other option is to allow the dealer to do repairs. Well stated that I should just go this route. You make a very valid point.

I am reasonably frustrated and it obviously shows.

I have been given an appointment with the dealership to perform a thorough examination of my Nest on May 16th. The service manager has assured he will attend the matter personally.
Hi Alan,
After learning of your history with this dealer I see your concerns. That brings the manufacturer back in the picture as a viable option.

If they are pumping them out like the others have stated, it is possible the shipping companies may be going back empty. Getting the trailer back to AS might be done cheaply where you can go pick it up your self after repairs.

Your dilemma is now becoming more apparent. There is no clear cut solution. You will have to go with your gut during or after your meeting on the 16th. Try to keep the emotions out of it.

Looking at your dilemma in a different way. Maybe it might be best to send the trailer back to AS if it requires parts/panels that are uniquely manufactured by AS. Or it might be best to have the dealer do it if it won't require AS manufactured parts.

You are facing a sticky wicket ...
Keep calm and carry on.

& keep us posted.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #48

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I hope you get it resolved satisfactorily! This isn't a fun thing to go through, I'm sure.

One thing I will point out, having spent a lot of time on internet forums, is how non-defensive you are. Good work! Taking direct (though respectful) criticism and not getting angry, but instead responding reasonably and even accepting blame is sometimes rare, myself included!

Anyway I hope you get it all worked out, and welcome to the forum.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #49

Name: Maggie
Trailer: Big Foot
California
Nest owners....John and Maggie

We bought a new Nest in January of 2019. We knew that it would have some problems as all trailers do and being a new design it would have it’s own set of problems. We also have the front bedroom setup. We have some of your issues like the screen door handle. One of the drawer slides is faulty. The fridge door comes off easily. I put a zip tie around the bottom post to hold it up. The thin plastic floor has bubbled up a little near the shower. It seems cheap but we installed Flor carpet squares. The biggest problem so far is the fiberglass cover over the propane tank and batteries. A piece fractured off where it meets the main body. It’s very thin fiberglass there. The T mounding on the ceiling has come loose in one area. We would like to join a Nest group and hear from other owners as well. We did get rid of the big square table and use wood slats to hold up the cushions when the bed is made up. We use a round 19” table top on the post and offset it to rotate it out of the way. We renovated a 2006 25’ Bigfoot RQ to my wife’s specs about five years ago and it’s really nice now and everything is updated. We will keep the Bigfoot until we are sure the Nest is what we want. It is new and much lighter and shorter and easier to move around and there is no Weight transfer hitch to deal with either. We do love the trailer design. I installed a swivel ‘boat type’ wheel on the hitch so the trailer can be rolled into any direction which can’t be easily done with the Bigfoot. We plan to take it to the dealership for the first time since we purchased it and keep good records of our concerns. John Harris
Maggie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:07 PM   #50

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Arizona
I sometimes think that other fiberglass trailers I see on the road and at campsites might be comparable to our Oliver II--that is, until I see a photo of their interiors. Your Nest, however, DOES seem comparable to the clean lines and gelcoat interior that helped sell me on Olivers.

Your experience with the quality of your trailer is, on the other hand, vastly different from mine and with the vast majority of Oliver trailer owners. In addition to the superior features built into the Ollie, the quality of manufacturing and customer service really seems to justify the significant expense one initially incurs.

I wonder if you might be able to work out a full refund of your purchase price using your your detailed documentation that includes a video that the company knows you have an option of making public. Perhaps with that refund and and the willingness (and ability?) to shell out significantly more money for the superb quality and customer service of an Oliver.
Jeff Sky Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The video already became public when the OP posted the link here.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:01 PM   #52

Name: tom
Trailer: casita
Connecticut
Very interesting series of posts

First, I have to say, the wall outside the shower where the hinge is attached in a Casita SD17 is fiberglass, not composite, and does not flex. Our door is and has been fine.

Next, we have had NO problems .. none... with our 2013 Casita SD 17, probably 20,000 miles on it so far, except for the water pump, which CASITA replaced instead of sending us to it's manufacturer. ( I did have a little bitch about rusting rivets in the bathroom; Casita (they have no dealers) they said take it to a nearby RV place to get it fixed and send them the bill but I didn't bother as it was so minor) .
hts1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #53

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
The video already became public when the OP posted the link here.
Sorry, I missed the video. Now I see that it is posted here. I'm supposing posting it on Youtube would make it available to many more members of the public considering purchasing a travel trailer.
Jeff Sky Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #54

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The link is here, somewhere in this thread. The video is / was on Youtube when I looked a few days ago.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:30 PM   #55

Name: JAY
Trailer: STILL LOOKING
Maryland
It sounds like you want them to buy back your Nest. I would too, but I will be surprised if they do that. If not, try insisting that the dealer ships your trailer or has it hauled to Jackson Center for you. Jackson Center is about the only place that will fix it right. There are a couple of Airstream Service centers that come close. As others have mentioned if you have not done so already, check out the Nest 2018 - 2020 - Airstream Forums
Best of Luck to you.
I have on my second Airstream, the first one I had several problems with but were fixed under warranty. My second one that I have now, I have had a few electrical issues, but all were fixed under warranty, some at the dealer I purchased from and the others at Jackson Center when I stopped in on my way back from Colorado. Though I love my Airstream, if I were to buy another trailer, I would seriously consider an Oliver the next time around.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:26 PM   #56

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Sky Islander View Post

I wonder if you might be able to work out a full refund of your purchase price using your your detailed documentation that includes a video that the company knows you have an option of making public. Perhaps with that refund and and the willingness (and ability?) to shell out significantly more money for the superb quality and customer service of an Oliver.

1. Who are you going to get a refund from? Trailer was bought used. If you sold it, would you give someone a full refund four months later? If a RV lot sold it, would they give a refund four months later? And would the original manufacturer (Airstream) be on the hook to give a refund to someone who was not original purchaser? Defects show an overall lack of attention to details, a lot of minor stuff. I would be irritated as well given the price of these trailers. Still under warranty, and just like a car under warranty, the local dealers tend to take care of it. Kudos to AS for offering factory rework. Can you imagine GM taking warranty work back to the factory?

2. On price, a new Nest cost is only $750 less than the Oliver Elite I. So the price is very close. The 2019 Oliver Elite comes with a long list of standard features. But there are AS dealers discounting the Nest right now. Not seeing any new Oliver discounts.

I mentioned earlier, but the one thing you get with the Nest is the cute factor. It really has it! And the Airstream name too. Cute + Airstream name = High priced.

Well I just found your thread over on the AS forum. Pretty similar feedback there. Go ahead and take it to the local dealer for warranty work.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:01 AM   #57

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Sky Islander View Post
I sometimes think that other fiberglass trailers I see on the road and at campsites might be comparable to our Oliver II--that is, until I see a photo of their interiors. Your Nest, however, DOES seem comparable to the clean lines and gelcoat interior that helped sell me on Olivers.

Your experience with the quality of your trailer is, on the other hand, vastly different from mine and with the vast majority of Oliver trailer owners. In addition to the superior features built into the Ollie, the quality of manufacturing and customer service really seems to justify the significant expense one initially incurs.

Just wondering if this is an add for Oliver. While I am happy that an owner “loves” the trailer they chose, it doesn’t mean the trailer is for everyone. I visited the Oliver factory in (I believe) 2014 and was unsold on the “clean lines” and “gelcoat interior.” The term I would use is sterile looking, like a hospital operating room. I also found the layout not to my liking. I concede that Oliver has thought out the trailer’s design and has incorporated many nice features. I also think they named it appropriately when they included the term “elite.” Unfortunately, my experience with many Oliver owners is that they have an air of superiority and often come across as if their excrement is perfumed. I am not “jealous” of Oliver owners as I could have paid cash for one and taken delivery within three months. At that time, they hadn’t started rebuilding the smaller single axle Oliver. I chose the trailer that best fit my wants and needs. Although it was less expensive, the manufacturer was 3,500 miles away from my home rather than 600+ miles to Hohenwald, seemingly a big “inconvenience.” My point is, we all make choices and some are based on personal perception, others on cost, etc. Let’s all try to avoid the “my trailer is better than all the other trailer brands available” syndrome here. There are many fine trailers available, and unless the owners have had a very bad experience, most of them are happy with their choice.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:51 AM   #58

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Just wondering if this is an add for Oliver. While I am happy that an owner “loves” the trailer they chose, it doesn’t mean the trailer is for everyone...
Although the post was certainly... well, effusive... in its praise of Oliver, I didn't take it as implying that Oliver is the only or even the best choice for everyone. I read it as a follow-on to an earlier post suggesting that the OP might take a look at the smaller Oliver if his Nest issues aren't resolved satisfactorily.

In that context, it is somewhat comparable in size (a little larger and heavier), price (probably higher after Nest discounts), and style (sleek and modern, which is not for everyone, I get that). It's a valid suggestion, and I would second it myself. In view of Oliver's excellent reputation for customer service, four season capability, aluminum chassis, and overall high build quality, I would consider it a far better value than the Nest.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #59

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
As with most Americans EVERYTHING always seems to revolve around the PRICE they pay versus the QUALITY they receive.

PRICE is everything until you have a PROBLEM.

That's when SERVICE and CUSTOMER SUPPORT now become the big issue!

It's that service and customer support part that few RV dealers and THOR in particular as a RV manufacturing company is NOT known for. Customer support after the sale is lacking to say the least.

With all the negative press you can find find on many RV dealers and THOR as a RV manufacturing company in particular one would think a buyer would have serious reservations when considering purchasing any THOR manufactured product. Maybe Airstream as a subsidiary company of THOR and this buyer's dealer in particular will step up to the plate and make the needed repairs as I remember from the OP first post that this particular "Nest" was still under factory warranty.

For all the negative publicity Airstream is receiving over this Nest and all the others with similar problems Airstream should have brought this unit and all the others with manufacturing problems immediately back to Jackson Center for proper repair/replacement from the git go.

Apparently all that LUV that the Airstream Corporate Quality Manager requested early last year from Airstream owner's on Airforums.com website touting the inclusion of actual customer's participation in the in updating their quality process "Ain't Quite Worked Out So Well"!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:54 PM   #60

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Any updates @Magpie Nest?
I thought the trailer was going back to the dealer for a once over today.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airstream, airstream nest, defects, flaws, nest, problems, review, warranty