Allure flooring? How did you finish the edges? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 75 Trillium 13 ft
We recently put down Allure flooring in our Trillium, but we're having trouble finding an appropriate material to finish the edges. Just wondering what everyone else used.

Ours isn't a woodgrained pattern. We went with a black one (can't find a picture).

~ Liz
Liz&Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I used quarter round stained to match the wood of the cabinets and walls. You could paint wooden quarter round black.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
We recently put down Allure flooring in our Trillium, but we're having trouble finding an appropriate material to finish the edges. Just wondering what everyone else used.

Ours isn't a woodgrained pattern. We went with a black one (can't find a picture).

~ Liz
I used the Bamboo Allure and did the same as Tim; used quarter round, found the closest color stain then varnished also.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler
Working on the Boler,am using vinyl quarter mold found at Home Depot.Cuts easily,and,bonus,a little heat from your heat gun,and you could then bend it as well!
Rick Harmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I used almond colored caulking and ran a nice smoothe bead arond the edge....I'm hoping it seals it from letting water under right there if it gets on the floor....kinda easy...looks nice...........BTW I have most of the second box of that allure left seeinds how i only needed 3 sheets from it if anyones in the same situation and is using the oak pattern.......Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Hunter I
Registry
Quote:

~ Liz
I haven't done mine yet, but I'll be using wooden screen molding. (Photo below). It's 1/4" thick x 3/4" high. I'll take off one of the rounded edges with the table saw or jointer, which should leave it at about 1/4" x 5/8" or so. It's inexpensive, and I like its thinner and flatter profile better than quarter round.

Don

<div align="center">

Name:   screen_.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  5.1 KB

</div>
Don H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #7

Thanks everyone.

I'm shying away from regular 1/4 round due to a couple of curves, but I like the idea of vinyl, assuming that it can be painted. I've never seen it, so I guess I'll have to ask at Home Depot.

~ Liz

Old 05-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (Glass-Fab
Registry
Quote:
Thanks everyone.

I'm shying away from regular 1/4 round due to a couple of curves, but I like the idea of vinyl, assuming that it can be painted. I've never seen it, so I guess I'll have to ask at Home Depot.

~ Liz
Is the curve gradual, or sharp? i.e, bent or mitered? I held laminate down with quarter-round spot-glued to the 'wall' and clamped temporarily with sticks wedged in to hold it while the PL400 dots grab and set (usually about 24 hours). The nice thing about PL adhesive is that if you dont glue the entire piece you can pop it off later if need be.

With laminate it is strongly recommended to put down an isolation membrane that forgives a bit of moisture collecting under the flooring. Otherwise it's a matter of time before it wicks up something and begins to warp and swell.
Mike Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:16 AM   #9

Mike - the curve I'm most concerned with is the one the counter. There's a ridge between the cupboard & the icebox.

This is one of our other member's floor. In this pic, they haven't finished the edges yet.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&id=18100

We're going to try to find the vinyl 1/4 round. Hope our Home Depot carries it.

~ Liz

Old 05-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Mike - the curve I'm most concerned with is the one the counter. There's a ridge between the cupboard & the icebox.
If you have a belt sander you could sand a notch in some hemlock 11/16 Q-round to fit over the bump. Or, you coud carefully whittle it.

One of the things about retrofit is solving little puzzles like this one. When I redid my Boler front bench area, cutting the curvature so as to make a tight fit structurally, kept me awake at night! But eventually the solution came clear.

I'm not sure that vinyl will help in this case, IMHO
Old 05-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 1980 17 ft Boler (named Beatrice)
Send a message via MSN to Kathy L
Just reading on this link.. I have the "steelplate" look of trafficmaster in my Boler.. I have painted all the woodwork a light butter colour and the floor is a rust colour... the rest of the upholstery is navy in colour like denim, so I put down 2-1/2" rubber cove base in navy and it has made it all pop quite nicely. It is a great product for keeping the floor clean... before I installed the cove I sealed all edges with a clear silicone product to help keep the dirt out.
Very low maintenance and cuts easily around any shapes or curves.
Kathy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Isn't this type of floor a "floating floor"? If so, you shouldn't nail or glue the edge finishing trim to the actual floor as it will not be able to move (float) as the humidity changes. The actual floor should be a 1/4 inch from the wall and the trim attached to the wall, not the floor if it is indeed a floating floor. Just my thoughts--Ron
Old 05-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #13

Registry
In the floor well of a Boler or Scamp the area is so small that the 1/4" rule doesnt apply like it does on large floor areas. I cut everything 1/8" shorter than the available clearance, with no troubles.

By spot-gluing the quarter-round, it allows me the luxury of easy removal should something untoward happen to the floor. The close clearances mean that the floor will also be less likely to shift and slide when in transit.