Also a new guy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 1980 Burro
First, I saw that there was an option lift kit for the trailer from the factory. How can one do this so it will sit level with my tow vehicle.

Second,can I use spray foam in the cavities I see. What are you folks doing to insulate or what did the factory do to insulate the trailer?

I plan to move to North Idaho in mid December, so if any of you are close by-send me a line.

Best Regards,Rick
Rick Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
The factory used regular pink stuff , mine doesn't have it or someone ripped it out ( I see some remnants of it over the sink). My old one never had it and I shoved some of that aluminum bubble stuff from home depot as far as I could between the walls. Didn't really seem to make much of a difference. So I don't think I'll bother with this one.
My plan is to move to where it's warmer whenever I feel cold anyway. (After the first of the year)
For some reason the 17 foot doesn't seem to get as cold as the 13 did ( we'll see next month)

Just turn on the electric heater/ or Mr Heater or Cat furnace and enjoy camping.

For sleeping we use a nice cozy down comforter.

I thought about spray foam but it keeps expanding and could bow out the walls. The stuff that expands less may be better but you still have to deal with the odors any maybe nasty health stuff .
I decided not to do it.
guess if I could get it done and not use it for a year that could work. What am I crazy NOT use it for a year?

North Idaho for the winter? No way I'd try that. You need a Bigfoot , good for -30 degrees.
If using the Burro I would stack hay bales all around it for the winter. And dress warm and make some new friends in a real hurry, so I could crash in really bad weather.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:13 AM   #3

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Hi Rick,
I have a 1973 Cloud. this is the older brother of Uhaul and Burro. It has double walls with no insulation. I am pretty sure I will be putting in spray foam next spring, and I need to select which brand to use. I also would like to hear from anyone else who has insulated one of these.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 Burro 13 ft
Quote:
First, I saw that there was an option lift kit for the trailor from the factory. How can one do this so it will sit level with my tow vehicle.

Second,can I use spray foam in the cavities I see. What are you folks doing to insulate or what did the factory do to insulate the trailor?

I plan to move to North Idaho in mid December, so if any of you are close by-send me a line.

Best Regards,Rick
Rick, measure the height from the ground to the top of the ball on your tow vehicle when the trailer is hitched. Unhitch the trailer and measure in the same way to your leveled trailer "top of the ball" location. The difference is the amount of drop in the hitch you want to purchase for your receiver to make your trailer level when hooked to the tow vehicle, and also considers the tongue weight.

Mike Shackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #5

Thanks to all of you for your help. I run a Search and Rescue team here in Indiana,that is why I wanted to lift the Burro if I could. All my vehicles are very tall 4x4's.
I will try some foam that does not expand very much and use carpet squares on the ceilings and top half of the side walls to help keep it warm.
I will try the foam in various plastic containers to see how the expansion goes.

Best Regards,Rick
Quote:
Rick, measure the height from the ground to the top of the ball on your tow vehicle when the trailer is hitched. Unhitch the trailer and measure in the same way to your leveled trailer "top of the ball" location. The difference is the amount of drop in the hitch you want to purchase for your receiver to make your trailer level when hooked to the tow vehicle, and also considers the tongue weight.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
Rick, If this helps, I insulated my Burro with the "refectix" insulation from Home Depot. It was difficult getting into some areas where the two fiberglass walls are close together but it can be done. I taped it into place with duct tape and the silver insulation tape, depending on location. I followed a suggestion by someone on this website and used the blue foam sleeping pads ( from Walmart) to line the bottoms of the storage areas. Just cut to fit. On the floor, I used the closed cell foam stuff for pergo type floors under the linoleum. The first time I used my trailer before insulating, I could feel a tremendous transfer of cold on the floor right up through the carpet. With no insulation the trailer would not hold the heat. The insulation makes an unbelievable difference. I am wondering if the spray in stuff can handle the flexing and bouncing of the trailer. It seems rather fragile to me but you may know of a better brand than what I 've seen. Congratulations on your new trailer, you're gonna love it.
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:12 AM   #7

Thanks Rusty,
It seems our move may take us to the Spokane area. My wife is from there. If it works out, maybe we can hook up and do some camping.
Best Regards,Rick
Old 10-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Rick First welcome to the wonderful world of fiberglass trailers. We won't exactly be next door neighbors ( my wife and I live in Twin Falls Idaho ) but depending on location and timing we might be able to join you and Rusty for camping trips. Next as to insulation. Our Uhaul has no insulation whatsoever, except for capeting on the floor and I don't see any need for it. My wife and I are skiers and have done considerable backpacking, including winter camping, so perhaps our tolerance for cold is a tad higher than most. We have camped in our Uhaul down to slightly below freezing with only a small ceramic heater ( really small ) and been quite comfortable. Your wife is certainly familiar with the weather in this region and it is not as cold as many people seem to think ( shhh we don't want them all moving in ). The weather is certainly not as cold as the New Mexico mountains where we lived for 30 some years nor do we get near as much snow. Our Burro is all electric so we don't have any condensation problems. We do carry a generator to power the heater which isn't a noise problem because when it is cold enough to run the heater the campgrounds are almost always empty.
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:33 PM   #9

Hey, that is good to know. I will give you all a shout when I get out there. I cant wait to get camping again,it's been about 10 years. I think I will like retirement, Rick
Quote:
Rick First welcome to the wonderful world of fiberglass trailers. We won't exactly be next door neighbors ( my wife and I live in Twin Falls Idaho ) but depending on location and timing we might be able to join you and Rusty for camping trips. Next as to insulation. Our Uhaul has no insulation whatsoever, except for capeting on the floor and I don't see any need for it. My wife and I are skiers and have done considerable backpacking, including winter camping, so perhaps our tolerance for cold is a tad higher than most. We have camped in our Uhaul down to slightly below freezing with only a small ceramic heater ( really small ) and been quite comfortable. Your wife is certainly familiar with the weather in this region and it is not as cold as many people seem to think ( shhh we don't want them all moving in ). The weather is certainly not as cold as the New Mexico mountains where we lived for 30 some years nor do we get near as much snow. Our Burro is all electric so we don't have any condensation problems. We do carry a generator to power the heater which isn't a noise problem because when it is cold enough to run the heater the campgrounds are almost always empty.