Aluminum trim for table - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2008, 10:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Honey Boler
Hello all. This is my first thread/ post so I apologize if this isn't the proper forum or if I could've found my answer with the search engine. I've had a '74 Boler for a few years now and have finally decided to attempt some mods. Nothing crazy, but the big one is putting in a front dinette with the two little seats (similar to several I've seen on here... very cool).

My question for now regards the aluminum table trim that came stock on my full sized table (and many, many RV tables back in the day). I'm making my own table and would like to use the same grooved aluminum trim. Is this something that can be picked up at an RV centre or is there somewhere else I should go? I'm in Calgary.

Thanks.
Kevin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:13 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Hi, and welcome Kevin. You did just fine with your thread placement.

I can't help much. I don't think I have ever seen that stuff in a store, but you might try some vintage RV supply places.

Here is a list of sources from our Helpful links section.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 1978 Surfside
Check out Diamond RV in the northeast its on Sunridge Blvd, thats where I went when I was doing all my renos. They have lots of parts and will get anything in that you want out of the parts catalog http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalo...?dealerId=1392

KJ
kentj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 5500
Kevin, i just redid the tables and countertop in my Trillium, and found l-shaped trim that fits nicely over the edge of a piece of 3/4" ply. I had put a Formica reproduction pattern laminate on the top, so wanted the vintage look.

Found the trim at Home Depot, but also found a source in Coquitlam for the more traditional t-shaped trim (you need to router a groove to apply this stuff). http://www.supersites.ca/martinsfurniture1949/homepage/ . The stuff from home depot has one leg that is about 1/4" long, and the other about 7/8" long.

Click image for larger version

Name:	043_1.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	13964

To apply the trim, I countersunk screws approx 6" apart. The aluminum trim is pretty easy to bend so long as your radius' aren't too tight. Trailer is in the shop right now having new brakes put on, but can post a pic of the final product when it comes back home, if you are interested in seeing how the countersunk screws look. Attached are pics of the sample pieces i have been using for decor.
Attached Thumbnails
046_1.JPG  
Janice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:46 AM   #5

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Here's another source.

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Extrusions_s/64.htm
Old 06-22-2008, 01:06 PM   #6

I looked at this as an option, but they don't ship any of the aluminum extrusions to Canada due to their size + shape -- you can't roll them up into a coil, they come as an 8 foot length.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #7

Wow, thanks so much for the tips. I'll check out the trim at Home Depot and go from there.

I started the mods this past weekend to varying levels of success. I've never done anything like this so it's been an adventure. I'm hoping at the very least to have a functional front dinette (if not finished) for the upcoming long weekend. I'll probably have more questions as I go.

I should also add that this site has been fantastic for me. There are so many good ideas and projects. I had considered hiring someone to do the work for me but thanks to many of you I've forged ahead on my own.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
I remember seeing some at "Totem Building Supplies" a few years back - might be worth a try.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I should also add that this site has been fantastic for me. There are so many good ideas and projects. I had considered hiring someone to do the work for me but thanks to many of you I've forged ahead on my own.
Glad to hear it Kevin! There are a lot of helpful people here, all you need to do is ask... and someone is sure to answer up.

Remember too, there are sometimes multiple ways to accomplish the same or similar thing. For instance, I remember the metal trim on tables from the 50s as being difficult to clean the crumbs off the table... they were always hanging up on that dang lip. You may want to consider real wood trim that comes in a roll with a sticky back. Just lay it on the edge and use a burnishing tool (like a plastic spoon and your thumb in the bowl part) to press firmly. That stuff will stick forever! Just an idea.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #10

Quote:
To apply the trim, I countersunk screws approx 6" apart. The aluminum trim is pretty easy to bend so long as your radius' aren't too tight. Trailer is in the shop right now having new brakes put on, but can post a pic of the final product when it comes back home, if you are interested in seeing how the countersunk screws look. Attached are pics of the sample pieces i have been using for decor.
Janice, that'd be great if you could post a pic of the finished table. It sounds like a straightforward operation but it's always nice to see pics of other peoples work.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Janice, that'd be great if you could post a pic of the finished table. It sounds like a straightforward operation but it's always nice to see pics of other peoples work.

Thanks.
Kevin, will get pics up for you as soon as the trillium comes back home -- we decided to also have new brakes installed while it was in for the awning, so is in the shop a bit longer than we anticipated.

For the counters and tables, i put the laminate on myself with contact cement, and then applied the trim before i put the countertop back in the trailer. It goes easier if you drill the holes before the trim is bent. You will need to drill a hole in the aluminum trim big enough for the screw to go through -- i found it easiest to start with a smaller drill bit (1/16") and then go up to 9/64" to accomodate a #6 screw (about 3/4" long). I just started at one end, and drilled pilot holes in the plywood as i went, putting some of the screws in temporarily. i did most of countersink drilling while it was flat also, but did a few with the trim secured onto the counter. If you need more than one piece for a larger table, just pick your join point strategically, and butt the pieces up -- i got a fairly clean cut with a hacksaw, and just cleaned it up with a sanding block. you can also run a bead of construction adhesive along the inside edge if you are really worried about it sticking

One word of advice, would be to cut your aluminum trim a bit longer than you anticipate, as you can always trim it off at the end.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:59 PM   #12

Name:	5500_back_dinette.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	14433

Name:	5500_counter_extension.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	14434

Kevin, just got the trailer back from the shop, so have attached some pics of the interior pieces I used the aluminum trim for. I ordered 2 sheets of Formica reproduction laminate, and have done the front/back dinette, the counter, the counter extension, backsplash, and the fridge panel. I also have plans to add laminate to the veneer panels on the walls behind the tables, and make a continuous strip around the exterior door.
Attached Thumbnails
5500_front_dinette.JPG   5500_counter_down.JPG  

Old 07-15-2008, 12:30 AM   #13

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Looks very nice!
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #14

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft and 1980 Trillium 5500
Hi Janice,

Wonderful work on the aluminum trim - inspired me to think similarly for our 5500 (has the original factory plastic stuff that will NOT stay attached). I believe you found the trim at Home Depot - do you remember which dept? When I asked about similar here, the staff looked at me as if I had grown a second head...

Is the flip up counter to the side of the sink original? My 1300 had something very similar but our 5500 does not (would be quite simple to buld however) - just curious visa-vie the other threads going with individual 5500 differences...
Garth M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #15

Thanks Garth! The trim was in a standalone display of various metal moldings (all 8 ft lengths) at the end of one of the aisles, sort of between plumbing and wooden moldings -- all were extrusions of various sorts. sorry i can't be more specific than that.

The flip up counter was not original, i used the cut-out from the stove, and trimmed it up. it's just installed with hinges and a drop leaf table mechanism underneath. i decided after i put the counter in, that i wanted a bit of room on that side of the sink for clean-up and prep, and the piece from the stove cutout ended up being a nice size.
Quote:
Hi Janice,

Wonderful work on the aluminum trim - inspired me to think similarly for our 5500 (has the original factory plastic stuff that will NOT stay attached). I believe you found the trim at Home Depot - do you remember which dept? When I asked about similar here, the staff looked at me as if I had grown a second head...

Is the flip up counter to the side of the sink original? My 1300 had something very similar but our 5500 does not (would be quite simple to buld however) - just curious visa-vie the other threads going with individual 5500 differences...
Old 07-26-2008, 08:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Kevin, just got the trailer back from the shop, so have attached some pics of the interior pieces I used the aluminum trim for. I ordered 2 sheets of Formica reproduction laminate, and have done the front/back dinette, the counter, the counter extension, backsplash, and the fridge panel. I also have plans to add laminate to the veneer panels on the walls behind the tables, and make a continuous strip around the exterior door.
Looks great Janice, nice work!. Thanks for posting the pics and the how-to's. I'm finally tackling the table and counter top today so hopefully I'll have some pics of the somewhat-near finished project by the end of the weekend.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #17

I finally have some pictures of the table and countertop. They aren't perfect by any stretch but I'm very happy with how they turned out. In addition to the front dinette and countertop I also installed new laminate faces on the cupboards (replacing the outdated green) , added shelving to the closet, and lifted the Boler an inch and a half. My lovely wife also made new curtains to match the cupboards. All in all we are very happy with our work. I'll add more pics in the mods forum.

Name:	Boler_table_and_counter.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	15582

Name:	Boler_table.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	15583

Name:	Boler_table_2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	15584

*Janice: thanks again for all the tips.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:33 PM   #18

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
Wow! Do i ever love your stove fan. The tables are great too. I am just finishing my dinette and having trouble finding trim as well. I found a piece at rona but my table and drop leaf are not as thick as the trim so i will have to add some thickness to the wood or trim the trim down. I see you took out the bunk. I made my table only big enough for two place settings so i could keep the bunk. Nice work.
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
That looks awesome. I'm in the gut it stage and will be redoing countertops and my table as well. My husband and I were just discussing the options for the metal trim. This is great information and I'm thrilled at the photos of your kitchen! Great job.
Kim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #20

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
very nice Janice. I'm just making a smaller round table for my Surfside and now I'll be stopping at Home Depot on the way home for trim. thanx
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote