Am receiving real world feedback on 6'2" person sleeping in Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-20-2022, 10:54 AM   #1

Name: Shangie
Trailer: Northwood Nash 22/1977 Trillium 4500
Washington
Am receiving real world feedback on 6'2" person sleeping in Scamp

And it's not good. I posted the question in a Scamp forum asking only people 6'2" and over to respond and the feedback is negative.

So it seems that we cannot look to buy a scamp- not doing the miserable night sleep. Old fiberglass trailers are constantly needy, even the 'fixed up' ones.

Now we are back to a 17' Casita to get interior height and possibility to remodel the interior to accommodate a non crawl over bed situation. Okay then what is that buying me over our current luxurious 23' length/ 8' wide almost 5,000 lb trailer? Easier towing due to lighter weight and narrower profile?

I would have to use our truck to tow the Casita. Goal is to learn to tow so husband can get a break. Is there really going to be that much difference due to narrower width overall and length? I can't go by my husbands opinion since he is an old farm boy and can tow anything.
Shangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:07 PM   #2

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
I'm not 6'-2", but we always setup a tent and sleep in that.

So, you could choose to do that and stay with the lean-mean-fightin'-machine that is a 13' Scamp.

If your tow vehicle can support it and the places you camp can support the larger camper, then it might be the way to go for you. We like camping in smaller locations and a 17' camper isn't going to cut it for us.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:10 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangie View Post
And it's not good. I posted the question in a Scamp forum asking only people 6'2" and over to respond and the feedback is negative.

So it seems that we cannot look to buy a scamp- not doing the miserable night sleep. Old fiberglass trailers are constantly needy, even the 'fixed up' ones.

Now we are back to a 17' Casita to get interior height and possibility to remodel the interior to accommodate a non crawl over bed situation. Okay then what is that buying me over our current luxurious 23' length/ 8' wide almost 5,000 lb trailer? Easier towing due to lighter weight and
I would have to use our truck to tow the Casita. Goal is to learn to tow so husband can get a break. Is there really going to be that much difference due to narrower width overall and length? I can't go by my husbands opinion since he is an old farm boy and can tow anything.
There are a few used Happier Campers up for sale ,won’t be cheap but you will have the luxury of a full queen sized bed and the width to accommodate Up to a 6’5” person as the bed is an inch short of 7’ all in a 13 ‘ trailer so weight will not be an issue. May not be the style you are after but you will not beat the comfort of the bed in any trailer of this type . No crawl over either as you can make the bed simply by opening the rear hatch and also exit out it . Good luck with your search .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:02 PM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
1/2 width queen on the right. a little shorter on the left ( I am shorter than my wife).
16' Frankenscamp (modified Scamp)
Modified to meet Connie's specifications.
Considering selling, but only to someone who is capable of doing at least some of their own work and understand the system.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:23 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A Casita is exactly the same width as a Scamp, so models with a transverse bed (Spirit, Freedom, and Heritage) have the same 76” bed length. Models with a longways bed (Liberty, Independence) are better for tall people.

My wife is 5’1” and she says the 44” rear Scamp bed is only big enough for her, so I take the front bunk. If you took the front bunk and your husband took the rear bed for himself, he could stretch out diagonally for more room. You probably don’t need much, since it’s 6’4” already.

As to stand-up headroom, 2006 and older 13’ Scamps are about 5’11”, while 2007 and newer (and all 16’ers) are 6’2”. The 17’ Casita is 6’1”; 16’ Casita is 5’10”.

Most tall people find the interior height is less problematic than the bad. Since they’re so small you don’t walk around very much, and you rarely stand up straight when doing a stand-up task like cooking.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, vin