An embarrassing question about setting up bed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 07:14 PM   #1

Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Arizona
An embarrassing question about setting up bed

Hi All,

We purchased our 2003 Bigfoot 25RQ in May and feel like we are in a luxury hotel room compared to our '97 17ft Casita. Until now, we haven't needed to make the dining room seating area into a bed. My sister is coming for a quick overnight visit at the end of the month and I'm going to need to use that bed.

As with our Casita, the owner's manual is useless when it comes to, well, almost everything. From looking under the table, it's pretty clear that the front leg folds back and presumably locks in the "up" position. How the rear part disengages is a little less intuitive.

It would be great if it just levered outward and then swung into the proper position on top of the side supports. However, looking at the distances, that doesn't seem likely.

I see a couple of plastic wedges that lock the rear support bar in its resting position on both sides (up against the wall). It looks like the screw holding this locking wedge in position can (or must?) be loosened in order to swing the wedge out of the way to be able to remove the bar from the wall mounts. This seems like it would be a real PITA to do every time the table needs to be converted into a bed; kind of hard to believe that this is really necessary.

Haven't actually tried the possible lever idea. I'd love to have some feedback from someone who has had experience with this setup.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,
Josh
Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Josh I am assuming it does not just lift up and out of the wall mounted holder? Similar to how the Scamp table lifts up?

Perhaps if you post a picture of the wall mount someone will have a better answer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:01 PM   #3

Arizona
Bigfoot wall-mounted table support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Josh I am assuming it does not just lift up and out of the wall mounted holder? Similar to how the Scamp table lifts up?

Perhaps if you post a picture of the wall mount someone will have a better answer.
Hi Carol,

I'm going to see if I can figure out how to upload or attach a photo. Its not a very good photo, but if you look at my description from the previous email while looking at photo, I think you'll see what I tried to describe.

As far as I can tell, the support bar could only be lifted off of the wall mounts if I remove or loosen the white plastic locking tabs. That will be a real awkward thing to have to do whenever the bed needs to be set up.

My wife will be coming on Thursday, so perhaps with an additional person, I can try some "maneuvers".

Josh

At the top of the photo is the underside of the table up against the forward wall of the trailer. The two metal squares are the wall-mounted brackets with a u-shaped sip on which the supporting bar of the table sits. The white corners of the metal support bracket are actually small plastic tabs that lock the support bar onto the wall brackets, presumably to keep the bar from bouncing out of place while in transit. The support bar is attached to the table bottom itself with two additional metal brackets and an extra thickness of plywood.
Attached Thumbnails
Bigfoot table suport, 21 Oct 15. IMG_2527.jpg  
Old 10-22-2015, 08:18 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Josh,

This looks like a standard dinette / bed setup. To release the table from the wall, lift it to about 45°. The hooks that hold the table to the wall should release. The bar assembly, in your photo then rotates down, guiding the table to it's bed position.
To convert back to a table, pull the table away from the wall and up again. The same 45° angle up to hook the metal tabs on the table into the receivers mounted to the wall.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:04 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Most trailers I've seen with that set-up recommend lowering the table for towing. The normal movements of a trailer on the highway can put a fair bit of stress on the wall tabs, and the screws that hold it in place can strip out over time. I always lower the dinette table in my Scamp.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:55 AM   #6

Registry
Agree with David thats the same table attachment found on Scamps.
Scamp has a YouTube Video showing how to raise and lower the table.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:44 PM   #7

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Josh,

This looks like a standard dinette / bed setup. To release the table from the wall, lift it to about 45°. The hooks that hold the table to the wall should release. The bar assembly, in your photo then rotates down, guiding the table to it's bed position.
To convert back to a table, pull the table away from the wall and up again. The same 45° angle up to hook the metal tabs on the table into the receivers mounted to the wall.
Thanks David, Jon and Carol, for the input and advice. The only piece that concerns me is the small plastic locking mechanism. If the bar doesn't need to actually detach from the wall and there are bends in exactly the right place, I can see how the whole thing should swivel down into place without having to do anything but fold the leg, lift and pull out a little.

I'll give this a try and see how it goes.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 10-23-2015, 06:46 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The plastic piece does not need to be removed to move the table between day and night positions. It is there so you can completely remove the table if needed.

Scamp uses two metal tabs on the wall edge of the table top (pointing upward) that slip into metal pockets attached to the wall. Lifting the outer edge of the table drops the tabs out of the pockets and the table swings out and down.

It's possible Bigfoot might use something different to attach the edge of the table to the wall. If you don't get it to work this time, some pictures of the wall attachment from the top might help.

Good luck!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:22 AM   #9

Arizona
Thanks Jon,
Need to clear the table to give it a try.
Josh
Old 10-23-2015, 01:19 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It's possible Bigfoot might use something different to attach the edge of the table to the wall. If you don't get it to work this time, some pictures of the wall attachment from the top might help.

Good luck!
That accorded to me as well before I posted the Scamp video so did a quick google for pictures of some 2003 Bigfoots interiors and it looks like they use the same wall mounts that the table tabs go into that Scamp does.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #11

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
That accorded to me as well before I posted the Scamp video so did a quick google for pictures of some 2003 Bigfoots interiors and it looks like they use the same wall mounts that the table tabs go into that Scamp does.
Ha! Hi Jon. So here's that Catch-22: The table is in the up position; kinda hard to get a picture from the top unless I can move it...

Still haven't cleared it yet to give it a try. D-day is this coming Saturday, so can't put it off much longer.

More to come...I keep hoping someone with a Bigfoot will chime in.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 10-24-2015, 09:57 PM   #12

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
We have a Bigfoot 175 with the same table. It works just as said earlier. Lift the end furthest from the wall then lift the wall end straight up to disengage the hooks and swing down onto the lower cleats. Sounds harder than it is. It's a one person task if you start by lifting the table from midway down the sides. No need to change hand position on the table, either if you slide your fingers out of the way as the table comes to rest in the lower position.
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:30 PM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
That same table drop down has been used for probably 30 years Josh. Lift the end away from the wall up a bit, fold the leg back and drop it down to the bed layout. Actually once you lift the outside end and the hook disconnects from the wall it's pretty much going to drop down...no video needed
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:06 PM   #14

Arizona
Thanks

Thanks Alan, Dave, and others. Am in Yuma now, will give all this a try when I get back to the Bigfoot next week.

Regards,
Josh
Old 11-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #15

Arizona
Thanks to all who chimed in

Hi All,

Just wanted to thank all of you who chipped in advice about how to convert the front seating area of our Bigfoot 25RQ into a sleeping area. Once I followed the advice (flip front leg up, lift front end of table up a little, watch flat "prongs" drop out of wall-mounted matching-shaped clips, the table just slips/flips down and lands in the supports for the bed).

I think Borrego Dave and Deadhead347 had it right on. Nothing broke, bed was comfortable (I slept on it), and now I feel like a pro.

Got another question now, but I'm going to start a new topic.

Thanks again.

Josh