Another approach to finishing interior walls - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2008, 07:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 72 Boler American
Hello all, 72 Boler American Restoration project

I've been reading post after post here trying to determine which method of finishing the interior walls will work for me. I am now at the "completely gutted" stage and want to do this right. I've been thinking about getting ensolite and go "original"...but I just don't like the whole taping the seams thing. Just seems to be a weak link to me. Then I thought about carpet...(more insulation, quieter)
but that too will require seams although less visible than ensolite or comparable material.

Now here's my latest and most likely solution. I read about Rhino Liner but it doesnt seem to offer too much in the way of insulation. Well, I went to Home Depot and found Floor Muffler. Its a polyolefin underlayment for floating floors. Dense closed cell vapor barrier material about 2 mm thick.
It appears to be gluable with 3M spray super 90.(man that stuff is pricey)

I want to glue the Floor Muffler to the shell, getting the seams as nice as possible, and then have the interior Rhino Linered over the foam. The Rhino Liner should do a good job covering the seams
It would be one monolithic interior shell....with some R-value(not sure how much yet)

What do the masses think? I know some are concerned with the weight of the Rhino Liner, but I only camp local and it's not really a major concern to me. I'm not worried about trying to keep it original, I just want it to be as practical and maintenence free as possible.

I'm preparing a test panel that I will have sprayed in the next few days. Does anyone see any problem with this approach?

Brian
Brian Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Brian, you and Isaac need to get together. He's trying to figure out a method to COVER the Rhino-type liner... doesn't like the look, or something.... Carpeting over Ensolite

Evidently there an area of his trailer the former owner sprayed this stuff to try and create a shower area.... click on the link and read the topic for more info.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #3

Issac said"The texture on the liner is very Very coarse! and Hard."

There are a few of these liners on the market. Line-x seems to be the harder
of the two major brands.
The Rhino Liner comes in a variety of colors and with the foam underlayment beneath it,
it just might "soften" it up a bit.
As I said, I have a test panel prepared and once it is sprayed I will make my decision
as to how pleasing it is to the touch. And how durable this combination will be.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Howdy, has anyone checked into off gassing from the Rhino type coatings......not a problem outside but may have negative effects when used inside and possibly without ventilation.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
It appears to be gluable with 3M spray super 90.(man that stuff is pricey)
That super 90 is similar to the 3m top and trim adhesive I mentioned in the other referenced post. Although expensive, it will require quite a bit of the adhesive to glue an entire interior. Purchasing that much adhesive in spray cans will compare very close to the price of 1 5 gallon can of the top and trim adhesive. That stuff can be sprayed with a cheap hvlp spray gun, or even rolled on with disposable rollers. You'll have plenty left over with the amount of gluing your talking about, but trust me you can find uses for it. Weigh your pricing options before you commit to buying the super 90 by the case, and it will take more than a case.

There's my .02
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
FWIW.... I liked the suggestion from another thread. Lizard Skin.

it can even be sanded and painted to a GLOSS.

See the second video

Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:

See the second video
That Lizard Skin looks very promising ..... not sure but it looks like you spray it on and then paint it to the color of your choice...... i especially like the second video of it on the hot skillet and it doesn't melt the ice cubes.
If anyone ever tries this please post results
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Howdy, has anyone checked into off gassing from the Rhino type coatings......not a problem outside but may have negative effects when used inside and possibly without ventilation.....Benny
I hadn't even thought of this Benny. Thanks for the reminder!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #9

Quote:

See the second video
Here is a very long.. but GREAT thread on how to make your own Lizard Skin

Alternative to Lizard skin discussion
Old 03-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #10

That lizard skin stuff looks too bumpy for me for the interior finish. The Rhino Liner, though a bit pricey looks more "finished". And the samples I saw look promising. Very durable yet flexible.
I called the munufacturer of Rhino Liner to ask about toxicity in a confined space. I was told that
after the 48 hour cure time it is completely inert.
I also asked about applying it on top of my Floor Muffler material. The rep seemed to think it just might work. Today I took my sample panel to the applicator, he seems to have some doubt as to the two surfaces bonding properly. He's going to spray my test piece tomorrow.
If doesn't peel apart, I just might try this out.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #11

Trailer: 1980 Scamp 13 ft
Hello
The concern I had with the liner material being so hard is that it seems to have completely taken any flexibility out of the ensolite under it.
So much so that I struggled to scrape it off the fiberglass underneath so I left it on.
I found a roll of duct insulation that may help under some carpet. I found it a home depot.
Attached Thumbnails
insulation_003.jpg  
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
I've read of many folks with ensolite-covered rigs, wanting to brighten with interior paint, have removed the seam tape and caulked the joints, even daubing it to make a stippled surface that matches the ensolite bumps.
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #13

Quote:
That lizard skin stuff looks too bumpy for me for the interior finish. The Rhino Liner, though a bit pricey looks more "finished". ...
You have that very backward. Lizard skin; according to the info on it, is sandable smooth and paintable to a slick gloss sheen just like what is on your car. Or any other variation of finish you want. In the video from Lizard skin they show some painted that is a gloss slick red.

Rhino Liner is bumpy. That is its design to help prevent stuff from sliding around in the back of your truck.