Another awning question... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2008, 04:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
I am new to this forum as we just purchased a 1975 Trillium 1300 last weekend. I have spent most of my free time this week reading thru this forum. There is a LOT of info in here and some very good pics as well (wish I wasn't on dial-up now). I am towing it with my 2004 Saturn Vue with the 4 cyl and 5 speed manual trans. My question is about the Trimline awning. I have a chance to pick up a new 8ft A & E Trimline awning still in the box for about $300. First of all, will this fit on my Trillium OK as there is no rail on there now and secondly, is this a good price for this awning.
Thanks in advance for your replies..
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Don,

Congratulations on buying (what I feel) is the best 13' trailer ever built =)... and it's Canadian eh?

What size is the awning? Ours is the 8' but a trillium will handle up to a 9' bag awning. Do you have rails on your trailer already? $300 CDN for the Trimline sounds pretty good with our dollar dropping so hard against the American dollar in the past couple of months. I believe I paid close to $400 after $80 in extra duties.

These two threads have a lot of info on awnings / trilliums
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...=28411&st=0

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...=31397&st=0
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Quote:
Hi Don,

Congratulations on buying (what I feel) is the best 13' trailer ever built =)... and it's Canadian eh?

What size is the awning? Ours is the 8' but a trillium will handle up to a 9' bag awning. Do you have rails on your trailer already? $300 CDN for the Trimline sounds pretty good with our dollar dropping so hard against the American dollar in the past couple of months. I believe I paid close to $400 after $80 in extra duties.

These two threads have a lot of info on awnings / trilliums
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...=28411&st=0

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...=31397&st=0
The one I am looking at is an 8 ft. The guy that owns it sold his trailer before the awning came in so he is kinda stuck with it. Thanks for the links. I have been looking thru them already and now can't decide if I want the Trimline or the Shadetree from Interwest like you got. Like the one on Doug's trailer as well. How did you make out with the front and rear shelves in your Trillium? I have spent most of the afternnon reading any posts involving a Trillium. Must have bookmarked at 40 pictures..lol
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
My first trillium (1972) didn't have them but my 1976 does have the shelves. They are a great feature I think.

What is the difference between the awnings? The one thing I really like about the ones we have is the extending legs, it's nice to be able to drop them at night if you think it's going to rain hard and you don't want the water to pool or if the ground is unbalanced.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
....One more l'il add-on to our awning (one with the extendable legs) which could be done with almost any awning is the addition of added support rods (bars) that go from side to side of the awning resting UNDER the awning fabric and sitting on the metal (outward) support rods. We used aluminum rods (small hollow rectangular rods, cut down to length) left over from a neighbours (wind ruined) outdoor portable bbq shelter which also HAD expandable parts. When rain IS expected we slip these under the awning to give it more support (makes more 'raised areas) and helps relieve the strain of the pooling water on the awning. It also means less of a 'Bridal Veil Falls' effect in the morning when we HAVE to dump what pooled water there has amassed up there overnight.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:55 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
To keep the water from pooling, arrange the awning so the rear outside corner is lower than the others -- Water will drain to that corner and flow off.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
.....yabbut, it STILL will want to pool right at that outside corner putting undue stress on the fabric (unless you REALLY 'drop a leg', LOL!!!!)
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote