Another Caved in Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp
Utah
Another Caved in Scamp

I bought a Scamp! So excited! I couldn't pass this thing up! Still haven't picked it up yet (7 hours away...)

Ngrimm's work on his caved in Scamp gave me some confidence, and I think mine looks like it will be less work than his.

Wish me luck!
Attached Thumbnails
00s0s_jCitScdGtQQ_1200x900.jpg   00y0y_4jqjZ7A72MK_1200x900.jpg  

80c8a1acbecdfcaea448673a3a10f108fe0d6b1b-4.jpg   80c8a1acbecdfcaea448673a3a10f108fe0d6b1b-1.jpg  

michaelrcolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Humpty Dumpty! Looks like a challenging project. At least it didn't bugger up the door. Best of luck.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:54 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
You can purchase that whole upper half direct from Scamp.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #4

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Love the side windows, great for rain.
I think you will have a lot of fun getting the Scamp back in proper order. I look forward to your future posts.
Best of luck to you and congrats on making the purchase.
You'll know the Scamp inside-out which will give you an advantage I would think.
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #5

Registry
Just looked it up at the Scamp site. $1500 for the top section. Only $1200 for the bottom if you needed it.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:30 PM   #6

Utah
Thanks for the encouragement!

Steve, it didn't even occur to me that it's possible to buy the whole top. I think I'll try to fix what it has, but it's really nice to know that no matter how badly I butcher it, I can just buy a new top (and it's more reasonably priced than I would have expected.)

Lisantica, you are right that I'll know it inside and out, which will be nice if it needs repairs (well... additional repairs.... in the future), it also means I can customize it a little as I go.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #7

California
Registry
I think if you end up going with a new top, you'll end up with a window size mismatch, but still an option should you have to at some point. I didn't even know it was an option until I saw Steve's comment.
I like your idea of trying to work with what is there first.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrcolton View Post
Thanks for the encouragement!

Steve, it didn't even occur to me that it's possible to buy the whole top. I think I'll try to fix what it has, but it's really nice to know that no matter how badly I butcher it, I can just buy a new top (and it's more reasonably priced than I would have expected.)

Lisantica, you are right that I'll know it inside and out, which will be nice if it needs repairs (well... additional repairs.... in the future), it also means I can customize it a little as I go.
I think the whole reason you bought it is the challenge of the rebuild,,,,?
Wish I would come upon a deal like that.
Please post your rebuild pics, this will be an enjoyable thread to follow!
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:01 PM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
there was an article in the Seattle paper not too long ago where a tow company had to move an RV that was in questionable condition. They ended up wrapping it around and around using one of the warehouse sized rolls of stretch plastic, the kind used to secure boxes on a pallet. That way no bits and pieces of it fell apart on the road. I thought it was a pretty genius way to handle the task.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:31 PM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
I think if you end up going with a new top, you'll end up with a window size mismatch, but still an option should you have to at some point. I didn't even know it was an option until I saw Steve's comment.
I like your idea of trying to work with what is there first.
I believe that the new top half is a shell, and any window openings would have to be cut out, so the original windows would fit nicely.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:51 PM   #11

Utah
Fred, yes, I enjoy fixing things up, that is definitely part of it. That said, if I had somehow found an intact unit for the same price, I'd save myself the work and buy that!

I will post as I go, but progress is likely to be somewhat slow. I tend to be pretty busy.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:53 PM   #12

Utah
Corbin, Yes, that's sorta what I had in mind, but with a tarp and fancy rope work. Last thing I want is for it to catch a gust of wind and tear itself to pieces. D:

David and Steve. Any idea how much shipping for a new top would be?
Old 06-06-2019, 07:34 AM   #13

Registry
Shipping costs depend on how far you are going. Where are you located?
I know it sounds like fun repairing the break by putting the pieces back together but believe me it is much harder than it looks if you aren't experienced with fiberglass repair. Also the materials are pricey and if you leave any waves they will show.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:30 AM   #14

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I believe that the new top half is a shell, and any window openings would have to be cut out, so the original windows would fit nicely.
Dave & Paula
Oh that's good to know! Thank you.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:55 AM   #15

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Its good that the door side appears to be intact and in good shape. Good luck with the project!

On shipping, you probably will have to have Scamp crate it which probably will not be cheap.Then I would guesstimate somewhere in the 50 cents to $1 per mile.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #16

Name: Rick
Trailer: Jayco
South Carolina
There is a complete 13' Scamp in Charleston, SC that would make a perfect donor camper. It's been taken off the frame, rat hair removed and interior fiberglass taken out. My 85 yo father has lost interest.
02camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:25 AM   #17

Utah
Steve, I'm fairly confident I'll be okay, I'm an engineer and pretty experienced in lots of fabrication techniques. I am sure it will be a good deal or work, but I think I'll be able to manage. (If not, you can tell me you told me so!)

As for shipping the top, I'm in Utah, so at $1/mile, the shipping is almost as much as the top. Even at half that, it's pretty expensive.

02camp, South Carolina is a bit of a drive for me (~2000 miles) but that sounds like a great opportunity for someone else. How much would he want for it?
Old 06-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #18

Name: dust in
Trailer: Boler Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
I bought a Scamp! So excited! I couldn't pass this thing up! Still haven't picked it up yet (7 hours away...)

Ngrimm's work on his caved in Scamp gave me some confidence, and I think mine looks like it will be less work than his.

Wish me luck!
Well now this should / will be ......to say the least, a challenge from a man that builds circular stairs. You must be , really good at fiberglassing.....Any thing is possible , good luck.
dust-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #19

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
if you want to know what the shipping cost of the upper half of a shell is just get on the phone and talk to the company. There will be an extra fee for building a shipping crate for it. Of course it has to be shipped by motor freight companies.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:42 PM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
02camp, South Carolina is a bit of a drive for me (~2000 miles) but that sounds like a great opportunity for someone else. How much would he want for it?
It would probably be quicker to drive over there and get that one, than fix the one you have. And you'd get a bunch of spare parts in the deal. It's also much more likely the curves and general finish would be better on the other one when done. If it's in nice condition, you might even avoid painting it.

Tags
scamp