Another ParkLiner question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Another ParkLiner question

On the option sheet, they list "Additional 12V receptacles" for 100 bucks each. But I don't see any listed on the standard equipment. So the only way to get one is to add 100 bucks to the price and order it as an option? Seems kinda weird...

12V receptacles can be had for 10 bucks at most auto parts stores. How hard would it be to find 12V in a ParkLiner and add one (or more) in?

Thanks!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Can't address your first concern, Frank. But each 12V plug should come right from the distribution panel, and not just spiced in to an existing feed. This is because the potential draw could be fairly high.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #3

New York
I agree Jim, I guess I wasn't specific enough. Would they have to put in a bigger load center to provide power for a 12V plug?

Of course, it would be better if ParkLiner got back to me. I emailed them this morning. No big rush anyways.

Thanks!

Frank
Old 07-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Dc receptacle

I installed a 12 VDC receptacle in my Scamp. It was a fairly easy task
Not sure about the Parkliner it would depend on where the converter is located and the desired receptacle location. My cost for the parts was under $12 (receptacle with plate ,10 ft of # 12 wire, fuse and a couple of stakons)
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Like Steve says its easy to do yourself, I put one in my trailer as it didn't come with any.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #6

New York
I've put plenty of 12V receptacles in boats, my hot rod, etc. In fact, I wired my hot rod from scratch, and have done plenty of 12V wiring.

What I would like to know, and preferably see pics of, is where did you tap in for yours Tim, and where did you put the receptacle? Details man, details!

Busy day, but sure am glad we bought that Escape! Pics soon.

Frank
Old 07-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I would expect installation to be straightforward, but it would be easier during construction (which unfortunately means paying the manufacturer for labour) than after everything is finished (when your "free" labour could do the job).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #8

New York
Couple of things here Brian.

First of all, I enjoy 12V wiring and have done a lot of it because I can, and I do a good job of it. Secondly, a post above here mentions Tim put one in his new ParkLiner, Steve put one in his Scamp, and it's not tough to do.

100 bucks may be chump change to some folks, but it isn't to me! I'm not even sure we need a 12V receptacle in a trailer (we don't have one in our current trailer), but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask if one came standard, and if not, could one be put in.

Maybe I'm on the wrong forum for this question. I thought this was the forum for owners helping owners? Should I ask this someplace else?

Thanks!

Frank
Old 07-26-2013, 06:19 AM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Frank, I put one direct to the battery and the reason being is so I could charge the battery without having to take the top of the battery box off. Its fastened together with nuts/bolts as its a sealed/vented box. That way I can keep my battery charged with a battery tender without having to take the box top apart. I fused it and ran the 12v receptacle down to a compartment door, so I can just open the door and plug in my charger to the receptacle. A nice and easy way to keep the battery topped off when not using the trailer. I have also thought about putting one on the other side of the trailer by the converter too but haven't done so yet. Its nice to have a couple, one on each side.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #10

New York
Boy, excellent idea Tim, thanks! Now I really want to get over and see your ParkLiner! I'll keep ya posted.

Enjoy your day sir!

Frank
Old 07-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It should be an easy job to install a 12 volt plug and once you have it, you will find it useful.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #12

New York
I agree Tom. I have installed at least a couple of them over the years, no big deal.

Tim's ParkLiner is less than 3 hours away. He has graciously offered us an opportunity stop over and visit. I hope to run over soon and take a look at his rig.

Frank
Old 07-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Couple of things here Brian.

First of all, I enjoy 12V wiring and have done a lot of it because I can, and I do a good job of it. Secondly, a post above here mentions Tim put one in his new ParkLiner, Steve put one in his Scamp, and it's not tough to do.

100 bucks may be chump change to some folks, but it isn't to me! I'm not even sure we need a 12V receptacle in a trailer (we don't have one in our current trailer), but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask if one came standard, and if not, could one be put in.

Maybe I'm on the wrong forum for this question. I thought this was the forum for owners helping owners? Should I ask this someplace else?

Thanks!

Frank
This IS the forum for asking question and getting answers .One of the first things I learned as a teacher was that there is no "dumb question" if you do not know the answer . We use the 12 VDC receptacle for charging our phones, GPS and Kindle fire plus a 12V fan. The cost for your labor is based on how much you value your time . I just added a 120 VAC GFCI receptacle to the kitchen of my Casita . I am retired so the time is not an issue but if I was still working and had to take time off from work to accomplish the project it would have been cheaper and easier to have the factory do it.
Hang in there , Tim is a great source of information and help for a Parkliner
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I agree Tom. I have installed at least a couple of them over the years, no big deal.

Tim's ParkLiner is less than 3 hours away. He has graciously offered us an opportunity stop over and visit. I hope to run over soon and take a look at his rig.

Frank
Great. Let us know what you think.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I've added 12 volt sockets to our trailer and there are a couple of places to pick off 12 volts other than the DC distribution panel.

I have picked up 12 volts at the fridge. We never run the fridge on 12 volts because it can quickly deplete the battery and the wiring should be adequate to handle a 12 volt socket.

You can also pickup 12 volts at the water pump, again substantial wiring and typically the water pump is rarely used and than for short bursts.

Another place is the battery terminals of the solar panel controller.

In general the my 12 volt outlets are used for items that draw just a few amps, typically for a 12 volt 100 watt Converter, though I have installed one for a CPAP machine that I wired directly to the DC distribution with its own fuse.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #16

New York
Thanks guys, and don't worry, I'll keep you posted. Everything I've seen and read about these Parkliners is so positive, with one exception. Folks don't always get a response from the factory to their questions. They've been pretty good with me, and I also understand they're busy folks as essentially a start-up company. Once we get over and see Tim's, we may drive down to the plant to give them our deposit and visit some family in NC. We'll see how it goes.

Today is Escape day. Got to get some stuff from the dealer, scan it and get it to the credit union. We've been approved, it's just this detail stuff. They don't have the car here yet anyways. The Ford garage just called and told me they should have it by noon. Just due to our schedules, we may not get it till Monday. No biggie, we didn't trade anything in!

Have a great day guys!

Frank
Old 07-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #17

New York
Thanks folks, great suggestions, and very much appreciated.

Gotta get back to work!

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I've added 12 volt sockets to our trailer and there are a couple of places to pick off 12 volts other than the DC distribution panel.

I have picked up 12 volts at the fridge. We never run the fridge on 12 volts because it can quickly deplete the battery and the wiring should be adequate to handle a 12 volt socket.

You can also pickup 12 volts at the water pump, again substantial wiring and typically the water pump is rarely used and than for short bursts.

Another place is the battery terminals of the solar panel controller.

In general the my 12 volt outlets are used for items that draw just a few amps, typically for a 12 volt 100 watt Converter, though I have installed one for a CPAP machine that I wired directly to the DC distribution with its own fuse.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #18

Quote:
My comment was intended to be helpful, by identifying a factor which you might consider in deciding which, if any, outlets might be better factory-installed.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I've added 12 volt sockets to our trailer and there are a couple of places to pick off 12 volts other than the DC distribution panel...
Great suggestions, Norm.

I suggest adding to or modifying the labels on the distribution panel if this is done, to identify which outlet is supplied from which circuit.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #20

New York
Ya know what I don't get about ParkLiner? Wouldn't ya think somebody at the company would be looking at forums like this? I know the owner is registered here, it's just weird. Heck, he's younger than me, and I'm a busy guy too!

Frank

Tags
parkliner