Another scamp wiring question (HELP) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2015, 07:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Another scamp wiring question (HELP)

I have searched with little results specific to my problem

All lights work with exception of running lights

I have a 13" scamp w/ brakes.....it has original wiring harness (purchased from original owner)

When i purchased it , the wiring was setup for 4 pin flat ( i do not know if running lights worked).......

i've purchased and wired in a 7 pin round and everything works as it should with the "exception of the running lights"

Any suggestions ( all bulbs have been checked) or is my best bet to check all wiring w/ a 12 v dc meter ?

This can't be that hard ....the trailer is a 1993 (if that makes a difference)

The light fixtures have 2 sockets ....
1 for a dual element bulb..is that for stop/blinkers/running lights ?

and one for a single element bulb......is this for backup lights ?

i'm trying to get this to work with the factory installed tow pkg on a 2015 Toyota Tacoma (i'm rapidly losing what is left of my hair)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in Advance
Alan
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The running lights use the same power as the tail lights. Try turning on the tail lights and see if you have 12 VDC on the center of the socket, but be sure to use a known good ground when measuring. It you do, the 12VDC is OK and you have a missing ground wire. There is a mess of wires under the dinette seats and running across the back. I'd start at the ground for the left running light and go from there. Try adding a known good ground to the running light with a jumper wire from the battery(-) with the tail lights ON.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #3

Thanks Bob
Am i correct in assuming the dual element bulb is for brakes/ directional/ running lights ?
And single element is for backup ?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #4

I don't know the configuration of your trailer, but the dual filament lamp is usually tail on the dimmer of the two filaments and turn/stop on the brighter one. If there is a singe one for back-up it will be behind a clear lens.
Hope that helps

Old 08-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Don't think scamp had backup lights. Think you are seeing dual tail light + stop. single is turn. Or maybe that is tail light + turn dual, with single being stop.

Some people have wired an accessory circuit of 7 pin into the backup of tow vehicle.

The ground can be attached to frame in trailer and/or direct wired through plug. The direct wired is by far the better arrangement.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #6

You can also jumper the 12 volt charging line in the 7 pin to put power on the different lighting circuits to get them working off of the coach's battery/converter.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:50 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Scamp wiring Diagram: Fiberglass RV - Document Center - WiringDiagram_Scamp If you have no running lights and tail lights the green wire in the trailer is the running light wire and I would look at that. All the lights use a common ground wire so I don't think you have a ground issue. Under the front dinette where the outside wires come into trailer there will be some splices and scotch lock splices for your front running lights off the green wire. I would inspect for a bad connection of the green wire in that area.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:58 PM   #8

Michigan
The ground wire in mine runs through the marker lights except for the curb side front which has a run of green wire and white ground wire (going to frame). On the rest the ground wire connects to one side of side marker and then connects to the continuation of the ground wire on the other side of the marker. This is not to my liking because the ground can be interrupted at any marker.

However this also supports what Eddie said about if any of the tail lights at the back have a ground then the ground is ok down the street (drivers) side.

My camper is older and highly probably some PO or another might have "adjusted" wiring when they cut off the 7 pin and wired in a 4 pin. I know the rear lights were replaced and I do not believe the side marker lights are stock either.

I was planning to post pictures to get some feed back while I have all the seats out and making changes is easy but my own feeling is ground for each light should be a "T" off of the main ground wire. Not running through each fixture.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:54 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Don't think scamp had backup lights. Think you are seeing dual tail light + stop. single is turn. Or maybe that is tail light + turn dual, with single being stop.

Some people have wired an accessory circuit of 7 pin into the backup of tow vehicle.

The ground can be attached to frame in trailer and/or direct wired through plug. The direct wired is by far the better arrangement.

My Scamp has backup lights, 2006 model purchased new directly from the factory.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:24 AM   #10

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Back Up lights

My 96/9716 foot Scamp has backup lights. But the wiring on the tow vehicle side is not connected. My 2007 Rav4 doesn't have a wire from the vehicle backup lighting system. I am thinking of running a wire through a switch from the battery to the vehicle plug on the TV. Any one else with experience with Toyota Rav4 backup light wiring to the trailer plug on the vehicle?

My short term solution is to park during the day
Old 08-15-2015, 01:05 PM   #11

Michigan
That is what is great about Scamp. Adding a backup light is innovation that makes sense! Sort of like when the VW bug got a gas gage. Hee hee.

If I recall correctly there is a pin available for that, someone posted about adding a yellow fog light as a backup light. Light was low and broad, and subdued yellow light was enough to see with while not too annoying for other campers.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #12

Ok so doing some checking
I keep blowing a truck fuse (30a)
Which is listed as trailer sub battery
So far that is as far as ive gotten
Per scamp the blk is for 12 v int lights& acc
Yellow is for brake lights ( foreign stop).....????

Old 08-15-2015, 04:11 PM   #13

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
Check your ground. Not only does it have to ground back through the connector but the frame needs to be tied in to the ground as well. If wired properly, running lights are brown.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:29 PM   #14

Per scamp the running lights are green
I checked ground is good
Really confused as all other light functions with exception of running lights are fine

Old 08-15-2015, 04:36 PM   #15

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
Green? Typically it's brown coming out of the 7pin. Do you have a voltmeter? It may be that someone wired them in series rather than parallel in which case it could be anywhere. Start checking for 12v between hot and frame at each light. When you can't find it you're in the right ballpark.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:50 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Ok so doing some checking
I keep blowing a truck fuse (30a)
Which is listed as trailer sub battery
So far that is as far as ive gotten
Per scamp the blk is for 12 v int lights& acc
Yellow is for brake lights ( foreign stop).....????

You have the trailer battery connected backwards. White wire to the negative terminal and black wire to the positive. That is unless some shade tree mechanic changed the trailer wiring.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:12 PM   #17

Byron
Thanks they were switched
Now however when i turn on either directional signal my side markers will flash.... Since they are tied to my running lites I'm making some progress

Kinda wondering if i got the wrong info on bulbs as i was advused that the top socket is single element and both is a double when i have them in that position I don't get any directional signal but when i have the top bulb(double element) i get flashers/ brakes/turn signals everything except running lites
The plot thickens film at 11 ( cause i ll be still trying to figure this out lol)

Old 08-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Byron
Thanks they were switched
Now however when i turn on either directional signal my side markers will flash.... Since they are tied to my running lites I'm making some progress

Kinda wondering if i got the wrong info on bulbs as i was advused that the top socket is single element and both is a double when i have them in that position I don't get any directional signal but when i have the top bulb(double element) i get flashers/ brakes/turn signals everything except running lites
The plot thickens film at 11 ( cause i ll be still trying to figure this out lol)

The bulbs in the trail lights should NOT be able to fit in the wrong socket. However, to check look at the bottom of the bulb and inside the socket. One of the sockets and a bulb should have two contacts, the other socket should have a single contact and the matching bulb only one contact.

FYI... Terminology the term running lights is the term often used for the side marker lights. The associated light in back is most often referred to as the tail lights.

Once you get the lights all sorted out, be sure and check or have checked your alternator in the tow vehicle. It's been known to happen, a reversed battery killed at least one alternator I know of.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:04 AM   #19

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Flashing marker lights

If you figure out how to make the marker lights flash with the turn signals, let me know 'cause I think that would be nice
Old 08-16-2015, 10:43 AM   #20

Update
While still trying figure this out
I have rewired the origin 4 pin connection and have running/brake/ stop lights( previous owner Never used the brakes)
So having said that i found trailer battery was wired backward and using double element bulbs( in correct socket per previous post)
It would seem all i have to connect would be
the blue( brake wire)
The black ( int 12 v)
Yellow(foreign stop)

Now what this really has me confused

Still unsure about the yellow and black wire

Tags
scamp