Another silly question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #1

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
Another silly question

I see many restoration projects but it seems no one is using treated wood, but what seems to be particle board or regular thick wood panels, am I wrong? It also seems to me that the wood being replaced is not being given some type of water block protection when it is installed, leaving the bottom open to the elements. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks
Guy
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Guy some treated wood isn't appropriate for interior applications... outgassing that's carcinogenic (sp). I think most folks are changing out with marine plywood or coating the wood with resin.. to soak the wood. Maybe even coating the bottom (underneath floor) with bedliner.

Is this what you're asking?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #3

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
Yes

I guess I am although I would have to look deeper into if treated wood in an rv or for any purpose except for burning would be hazardous to some extent. Burning treated wood is a no- no, but it is used in many applications especially against the elements (like on wood decks). Although the flooring would be the only use I can think of in a fiberglass rv. I would think that after sealing the top, than applying a rug or other flooring material that any risk would be minimal at best. But it is something to surely consider and look into.
Thanks
Guy
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Guy, remember.. rot typically happens from the top down. Leaking windows or vents. As long as stellar maintenance (no deferred!) is taken care of, wood lasts for years. I don't think I've ever read where floor has rotted because someone drove through the rain... a lot... for instance.

The 25 year old floor in my Scamp is perfect. I pay attention to my trailers needs...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
If you seal wood you have to seal it 100% on every surface or the moisture that gets in can't get out. My 77 does have some sort of resin on the outside but open on the inside. Not sure if the resin is original or something added after market.

Treated wood is mostly treated with chemicals to prevent bugs and fungus type rot. Trapped or constant moisture from leaks seems to be the most common wood floor problem. Chemical treatment won't do much to prevent that.

I think the quality of treated plywood in terms of voids and knots might also be something that might drive the choices in sub floor plywood. Treated plywood may have a high moisture content when purchased from chemical injection under pressure. Marine or exterior grade won't.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
rot typically happens from the top down. Leaking windows or vents.
I can vouch for that. The 1st time I rebuilt the Compact Jr. I used 3/4" plywood and sprayed the bottom with undercoating. I sold it and then 7 years later bought it back and am now in the process of rebuilding it again. When I took the floor out this time, most of the undercoating had flaked off and the wood was like new! There was rot only in one back corner under the kitchen cabinet that came from the entry door next to it.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
If you seal wood you have to seal it 100% on every surface or the moisture that gets in can't get out. My 77 does have some sort of resin on the outside but open on the inside. Not sure if the resin is original or something added after market..
My 92 only has a resin coating on the underside as well & it's original from the factory. No floor rot issues at all.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote