Another way to"Jack" up your RV - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-08-2020, 09:45 PM   #1

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape 19
Arizona
Another way to"Jack" up your RV

In case of a flat tire, is it feasible to raise the flat tire off the ground by using a tri-leveler under the good tire (assuming 2 axels)?
Larry L
llinderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:04 AM   #2

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
They do something similar in this video, but the leveler has a special shape to it. It is called the "Rapid Jack from Anderson"

k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:05 AM   #3

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape 19
Arizona
Jack up your car

Thanks K Corbin. So the Tri-leveler would work also.

I have to admit my partner came up with the idea. Wish we had thought of it first.

Larry L
llinderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:01 AM   #4

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
If the tandem axles are connected with a walking beam suspension you may not be able to get enough lift with the wedge block. If not, you will need a jack under the axle with the flat.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:07 AM   #5

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Another drive on "jack" is the Blaylock, made of aluminum. The Andersen is plastic, may not be quite as strong, but more importantly has a tendency to slide. Has happened to me. The Blaylock has not done that. I like it so much better I gave the Andersen way.

https://www.amazon.com/Blaylock-Amer...769954&sr=8-14
Old 03-09-2020, 10:51 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
On our 19 Escape I used treated lumber boards for leveling. They were about 46 inches or so long. I had one 1x8 and 2 2X8s they fit under the bed via an outer hatch. I most often used them to level but sometimes to adjust the brakes. Pull one wheel up on the wood and the other one would suspend in space. Then pull ahead and the front tire would be off the ground and the rear tire on the wood. Worked ok. Not that slick and kind of bulky but form follows function in my World. Never had a flat in the field and usually use a jack and jack stands in the shop.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:10 AM   #7

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by llinderman View Post
Thanks K Corbin. So the Tri-leveler would work also.

I have to admit my partner came up with the idea. Wish we had thought of it first.

Larry L

Two heads are more than one
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:37 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Two heads are more than one
Yup. Better... depends on whose heads!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:01 PM   #9

Name: Art
Trailer: In the market
California
Registry
I have been using the heavy plastic "Trailer-Aid tandem tire changing ramp." I use it mostly for raising one wheel at a time to adjust the brakes. Last summer, I also got to use it to change two tires that blew out. It went very smoothly. I was amazed that my senior memory remembered from years ago to loosen the wheel nuts before raising the flat tire off the ground.
The Trailer-Aid worked great as a jack, both on an asphalt road or shoulder, and on a firm dirt shoulder. What I like about it, compared with the Blaylock or Anderson Jack, is that it has an indentation for the good tire to settle into stably, and I can feel it from the tow vehicle, so I'm not depending so much on the tow-vehicle parking brake or the wheel chocks on the other side of the trailer to prevent the trailer from rolling off the jack while I'm working on it. That's especially important for brake adjustment, when I'm underneath the trailer.
I also have a pair of Anderson levelers, which look a lot like the Anderson or Blaylock jacks. A pair of those under both tires on one side of the trailer are an easy way to level side to side, usually. Only on deep sand or pebbles do they just push down in or slide forward without leveling. After leveling, an extra pair of supplied small wheel chocks effectively lock the levelers so there is no tendency to roll off of them.
Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:41 PM   #10

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Thanks for the detailed explanation of how you use the Trailer Aid. I think I will get one. The Blaylock works well but when working by myself I have a tendency to sometimes overdrive the Blaylock and the Andersen. That indent may be just the thing.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:47 PM   #11

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
Trailer Aid sounds great but read reviews on Amazon. They are designed for torsion axles and the company says they will not work with spring type axles (like our Bigfoot trailers and most larger travel trailers) because of the equalizers. I’d sure like to find a good way to do this.
Deadhead517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:38 PM   #12

Name: Art
Trailer: In the market
California
Registry
Our Escape 21' has torsion axles so the TrailerAid works fine for us. I wasn't aware that it wouldn't work for other types of tandem axle suspensions.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote