Anti Slip traction tape on top - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2019, 06:07 AM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Anti Slip traction tape on top

The top of my Big Foot is rather high off the ground, slippery and scary, particularly when washing and waxing.

I am considering putting anti slip friction tape on top of the roof. It comes in solid black and also black and yellow stripes. Maybe one strip, 6" to 12" wide, right down the middle, and perhaps branching off to the air conditioner and bath exhaust, etc. It does not seem like it will be seen from below, not sure.

Has anyone done this?

I don't think I should discuss this with my wife, so I am asking for any thoughts here. If the idea makes it pass this point, I may mention it to my wife. If I approach her prematurely...well...She likes things to look nice...I have been unjustly accused of making changes to "her" Casita and "her" Big Foot that results in a motif she considers having the ambiance of the Jed Clampett's truck...

Any thoughts?
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:27 AM   #2

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
The top of my Big Foot is rather high off the ground, slippery and scary, particularly when washing and waxing.

I am considering putting anti slip friction tape on top of the roof. It comes in solid black and also black and yellow stripes. Maybe one strip, 6" to 12" wide, right down the middle, and perhaps branching off to the air conditioner and bath exhaust, etc. It does not seem like it will be seen from below, not sure.

Has anyone done this?

I don't think I should discuss this with my wife, so I am asking for any thoughts here. If the idea makes it pass this point, I may mention it to my wife. If I approach her prematurely...well...She likes things to look nice...I have been unjustly accused of making changes to "her" Casita and "her" Big Foot that results in a motif she considers having the ambiance of the Jed Clampett's truck...

Any thoughts?
If you are set on pursuing a solution that lets you crawl around on the roof, there are many marine solutions to use. "Peel and stick non skid," aka grip tape, is one I'm familiar with. Used on interior and exterior surfaces and stood up to regular washing. I know we had thin strips of it for ladders.

Be warned that when this stuff sticks, it sticks, so if your wife ever discovers your venture and demands removal, or when the grip wears down, you will be in for some work.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #3

Name: Jessie & Carl
Trailer: Scamp her name is Mae West
Missouri
Relatable!!
But safety 1st and how about some of that no-slip stuff that goes on shelves or under rugs, OR a no-slip bathroom or kitchen runner, that is only on during the job.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'd be concerned the anti-slip tape would be hard to clean. Maybe glue it on the bottom of a pair of shoes instead? I have boots I only wear when it snows. Why not have a pair of shoes when on the roof of the trailer
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:57 AM   #5

Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Arizona
Non-slip solution to working on roof of Bigfoot

Quote:

Has anyone done this?

Any thoughts?
Hi Henry,

I have a 25RQ as well, and the same safety concerns about working on the roof, especially since I've never had such a great sense of balance.

What has worked very well for me is a simple pair of slip on "water shoes" that I got a number of years ago when we took a tube-float run down a river in NY. They are very non-slip on wet surfaces, and the ones I have are, fortunately, also non-marking.

Some day, I intend to get a pair of Keen water sandals, and I imagine they should also work quite well.

The other thing that makes me feel safer is working on my hands and knees whenever possible, using a decent pair of non-skid knee pads (got mine at Harbor Freight). A lot of work on the roof requires being on your hands and knees anyhow. If I'm washing, I can stand and use a wash-type soft broom and stay towards the center line of the roof. If I need to get close to the edges, like for waxing, I do it on my knees, and make sure I keep my center of gravity well behind me, even if I have to lie down.

For washing around the outside of structures like the fridge vent, skylights, etc. as well as wax work, I find that using an 8ft A-frame ladder, I can reach almost two feet into the roof, which also means I can avoid getting closer to the edges when working on top. Because of the tongue of the trailer and the shape of the front of the body, you have to get a bit creative with straddling the ladder over the fiberglass cover of the gas tanks.

Point is, I'll try to do anything I can to avoid standing on the roof and working too close to the edges.

I just finished the Barkeepers/ZEP waxing routine on our Bigfoot, and for many reasons, I have to say I'm glad that's over. I hope some of these thoughts help keep you/us safe.

Josh
Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #6

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
If you are set on pursuing a solution that lets you crawl around on the roof, there are many marine solutions to use. "Peel and stick non skid," aka grip tape, is one I'm familiar with. Used on interior and exterior surfaces and stood up to regular washing. I know we had thin strips of it for ladders.

Be warned that when this stuff sticks, it sticks, so if your wife ever discovers your venture and demands removal, or when the grip wears down, you will be in for some work.
:if your looking for escapes then you should be looking in the BC Craigslist for Escapes as that is where they are built and I saw two of them there last night. I do not refer them anymore as FGRV changes have made it impossible to do so. I saw a Biggar he wants $14,000.00 for it and I saw other brands to. You Yanks can save 30 cents on the dollar as your dollar is worth that much more than ours is, but you pay for in Fuel as were around $1.60L not some places cheaper.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
How about a set of these:

https://www.dataclean.com/p-30-5-flo...eavy-duty.aspx

You can just use these and non slip knee pads to crawl across the roof.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:19 PM   #8

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieJanet View Post
Relatable!!
But safety 1st and how about some of that no-slip stuff that goes on shelves or under rugs, OR a no-slip bathroom or kitchen runner, that is only on during the job.
That non-slip stuff can be slippery when wet. Great when dry on some surfaces but after a while it quits being non-slip.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #9

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'd be concerned the anti-slip tape would be hard to clean. Maybe glue it on the bottom of a pair of shoes instead? I have boots I only wear when it snows. Why not have a pair of shoes when on the roof of the trailer
I wouldn't walk around on a trailer with the grip tape on my shoes. That would put the gritty stuff against the fiberglass and could damage it.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #10

Colorado
Quote:

Has anyone done this?

Any thoughts?
I'd use an 8 ft step ladder and a long handled scrub mop to wash and a long handle soft cloth mop or fiber cloth to wax. That is why we only use an item called The Solution to wax. Sprays on and just wipe off. No hard pressure needed just dry it off. Be careful leaning over on the ladder as they can tip or you can lose your balance. We use the buddy system if needed. One to climb the ladder and one to hold it steady. Us women like nice looking things. If my husband put something on our Casita like that he'd be in big trouble. If it starts coming loose when the glue gets hot and the gritty stuff comes off then you have a mess to clean up. I wouldn't walk on top of a fiberglass unit anyway.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:15 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:

Has anyone done this?

Any thoughts?
sure, hire out the roof waxing to the young, nimble and fearless workers at your local auto detailing shop
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:50 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Roof

Stay off the roof! Work from the side with a good ladder and a long handled brush or mop. If you don’t get every square inch done perfectly, I think you will still be able to go camping. Just keep it a secret because you never know when the roof police might be listening.
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:55 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Hard to hook up a trailer when you're laid up in traction on a hospital bed. I have to keep telling myself to pause and reflect. "Would this be good for your future health"?
Old 06-11-2019, 09:31 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
I wouldn't walk around on a trailer with the grip tape on my shoes. That would put the gritty stuff against the fiberglass and could damage it.
I was thinking more like the non-slip shelf liner.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:03 AM   #15

Tennessee
To put things into perspective, I am 71 y/o, weigh 235 lbs and increasing, 5'10" and decreasing. I have fallen flat off my step ladder a couple of times recently because I misjudged the last rung, thinking I am on it when I am not, so the last step is too high, hence I am a bit leery of using the ladder to mop my roof, but not overly so. I like to get into all the corners and so climbing unto the roof seems like the only thing to do. I stopped climbing on the roof of my Casita because it flexed a bit too much and because it is a bit crowded. No so with the Big Foot. I will use the step ladder and mop to do touch up, but once or twice a year I will for certain crawl around on top of the roof cleaning, repairing and general maintenance. I prefer to do as much as I can myself, delegating only the difficult items to professionals.

As suggested, I got a pair of water shoes, and they work great, very grippy, thanks for the idea. I washed the trailer with Dawn Ultra in an effort to get the wax off. I also got a pair of knee pads, and will try the combo out today, smearing BTS over the whole trailer. Apparently BTS cannot be used with wax, so taking the wax off is a must. I intend on wiping everything with it and I like to be thorough, hence the need to climb on top.

Just FYI, when the topside is done I hope to do the underside of the trailer, the chassis and the wheel wells with the same product.

Also regarding BTS (Bow to Stern): I thought I thoroughly researched the product but apparently missed a couple of points. Optimally it should be applied 3x, then buffed to bring out the shine. I bought it thinking it needed to be applied 1x and no buffing. So I have a lot of work to do.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #16

Tennessee
Cleaned the trailer with water and Dawn. Scrubbed by hand. Then used a microfiber towel and applied BTS to the top and sides down to the waist band. This took 32 oz of BTS. I am ordering more and will finish the lower portion and hopefully underneath when I get the new bottle of BTS. No real problems crawling around on top. However, I need to apply 2 more coats and will use a mop and ladder to do so, and just sort of slop the stuff on using a Swiffer Sweeper.

I am starting to think it would have been sufficient to just wash the trailer with something like Turtle Wax ICE or or one of the other water/wax car cleaners. This is what I use on the Casita and it is OK. Using ICE I have to scrub the bugs and sap off the front of the trailer. I am hoping BTS will result in slicker surface and result in reduced scrubbing work at the end of the trip.