Any issue parking trailer in driveway? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2022, 01:54 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Pretty Simple.

IF you don't like the rules/laws in the city, HOA or neighborhood in which you are considering purchasing property don't buy property and move there!

There are more considerations than just draconian and unreasonable rules to consider.
What happens when every where you turn, the rules get worse?
Guess you leave the state, and your job, and your family, etc.?
All that, only to find that where you move is rapidly changing to match where you just left. (Think Colorado)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:57 PM   #22

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Who's Eddie? I'm hopping that you are not refering to Iron Maiden's mascot:
Cousin Eddie is a famous RVer. Randy Quaid before he slipped a cog or two. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...stmas_Vacation
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:58 PM   #23

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I got a $75 fine for putting my garbage bin out the night before collection day. Next time, the fine is $500. Municipal bylaw. No HOA. And, it's not California.
Can you disguise it to look like Santa Clause?
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:00 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
I got a $75 fine for putting my garbage bin out the night before collection day. Next time, the fine is $500. Municipal bylaw. No HOA. And, it's not California.
All because they build new towns without alleys and you must put your garbage out front on public display..
Alleys also allow for backyard access to park your boat or RV out of sight...
Go figger!
Old 03-28-2022, 02:27 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
Wow! Perhaps a neighbor reported you to the garbage police because he or she didn't do the same.
I don't think so. I think it was a bylaws officer eating lunch in the turn around across from my house.
Bear Aware are big activists in this municipality. I'm supposed to clean my BBQ after use and place it in my non-existent garage. That's where the trash bins are supposed to be too. Take down the bird feeders, pick up any fallen fruit. I don't do any of this. Bears have the whole province. I've just got a 50' x 160' lot.

I just don't report bear sightings. Don't want the attention.
Old 03-28-2022, 02:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
All because they build new towns without alleys and you must put your garbage out front on public display..
Alleys also allow for backyard access to park your boat or RV out of sight...
Go figger!
Yup. I have no alley. No access to backyard for a vehicle. No street lights and no sidewalk ( bonus - don't have to shovel snow as per bylaw ).
Old 03-28-2022, 03:14 PM   #27

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:

I just don't report bear sightings. Don't want the attention.
Did not give thought to a bear problem. We just deal with white tail deer that do not get in the garbage but do eat anything we try to grow when they aren't colliding with our cars.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
What happens when every where you turn, the rules get worse?
Who do you think votes for for the people to make those rules? Gerbils or your neighbours?
Old 03-28-2022, 03:48 PM   #29

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Who do you think votes for for the people to make those rules? Gerbils or your neighbours?
I think that’s the point. People flee to less regulated locations, but they continue to support leaders with the same ideologies they left behind.

And the less regulated regions are happy to take the influx of new money and then complain about a shift in power and policy.

Time to close this thread?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Time to close this thread?
Let's vote on it.
Old 03-28-2022, 04:13 PM   #31

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Same rules here but for years, no body took any notice. Most folks had trailers, took them home from storage for a few days while preparing for use and them went camping. No one complained.
Then a non-trailer couple moved in up the block and reported everyone for everything. Street parking for a limited time is permitted. These people call Bylaw immediately when a trailer is parked and then Bylaw places a time stamped notice on the tug specifying when the unit has to be moved.
They also complained about folks putting up Christmas lights but there's no bylaw against Christmas lights on your own property.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:16 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Evidently... Gerbils!

Old 03-28-2022, 08:46 PM   #33

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
I'm lucky to live in rural Idaho. The only covenants in my deed refer to livestock. So the pig farm is just a dream. I live in a neighborhood of many old RVs, probably full of memories.
I cherish real people and real life, not what a council thinks is proper.
Carry on everyone. Do the best you can.
Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:17 PM   #34

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by montereyfgrv View Post
We are moving and I was looking at the new city’s municipal code regarding trailers. In short, It says trailers/boats/truck-campers etc must not be less than 20ft from the street or 3ft from a habitable structure. And also must be screened from view.

These rules are pretty standard in my region (I’m in the neighboring city), and I imagine fairly similar to many jurisdictions.

So I’m wondering if any of you have similar rules in your municipality, and defy them without issue. And/Or if you’ve ever been hassled.

In my soon to be neighborhood there is with 16-18ft trailer that’s right up on the street but largely blocked from view by a big hedge bush and it’s orientation at the end of a cul de sac There is another house with 5 big cars under covers (4 in the driveway and encroaching a little into the street and the 5th car parked on the street) that don’t look like they’ve moved in a ver long time. And then one house has a smaller boat on a boat trailer parked on the street. So I’m thinking maybe enforcement is not much of a concern.

And FWIW, if parking our 17ft Casita at our house, our only option is to leave it out on the driveway loud and proud, set back from the street probably about 10-12 feet. Unfortunately we no access up a side yard. That said, we will be painting the house immediately, and I think the fresh White House with a shiny white casita would look sweet and I’m guessing/hoping the neighbors would too.

Anyway, would be happy to hear if others have “violated” trailer parking rules without issue.
Sounds like you may not have problems. If others on the block are violating the rules then they won't complain either. I'd take a chance to it and act dumb like I didn't know the rules since I see others doing this if you are ever contacted.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:41 PM   #35

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
We have an HOA. The bylaws read like a fifth grader wrote them and that’s probably insulting fifth graders. There used to be a member that bitched all the time.
They moved. Now there may be one or two owners that are in compliance but most are not. I try to get along with most of them and ignore the buttheads.
When I’m not happy with the contract snow removal, I fire up the New Holland and clean things up right. Then I flag the guy down and tell him how to do his job. I’ve trained many snow plow drivers over the years. I’m known as rhe grumpy old b……..d who lives down in the field at the end of the road.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:55 AM   #36

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Having grown up in a city with allies, I can say they serve a purpose. Most deliveries were done in the alley and in the warmer months, fruit and other vendors would hawk their wares. When it snowed, we had to wait for an oil delivery truck that would clear a path for everyone else as snow plows remained on the streets.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:47 AM   #37

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon in Idaho View Post
I cherish real people and real life, not what a council thinks is proper.
Carry on everyone. Do the best you can.
Gordon
Amen! I'm glad I don't live near people that lack a common sense understanding of this basic concept.
I'm not saying that a person's property, when located in a residential area, should look like a junk yard. BUT a RV trailer or a boat, give me a break! I would not knowingly move somewhere with rules barring such. However, you never know when (is idiots too strong?) get elected and pass these rules.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:54 AM   #38

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Amen! I'm glad I don't live near people that lack a common sense understanding of this basic concept.
I'm not saying that a person's property, when located in a residential area, should look like a junk yard. BUT a RV trailer or a boat, give me a break! I would not knowingly move somewhere with rules barring such. However, you never know when (is idiots too strong?) get elected and pass these rules.
And that's the point. There are places to suit each person's preferences. If I felt unreasonably constrained by my zoning, I could move a few miles and be in the unincorporated county. Lot size there is a minimum of 5 acres. I could hoard any number of trucks and trailers, keep chickens, shoot guns, run around nekkid!! FWIW, there is some recent discussion as to whether zoning contributes to the shortage of affordable housing. It may be that the trade off for being able to park our trailers in our driveways may be three families living in the garage next door.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:56 AM   #39

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Or new people move into an area and then complain to the city/township/village. That's how a farmer in a town near where I live whose family had been there since colonial times was forced out. Nobody who moved into the area wanted to smell his farm. Zoned him right out.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:02 AM   #40

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
AZ
Sad....very sad.
But it is the signs of the times we live in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Or new people move into an area and then complain to the city/township/village. That's how a farmer in a town near where I live whose family had been there since colonial times was forced out. Nobody who moved into the area wanted to smell his farm. Zoned him right out.
2004scamp is offline   Reply With Quote