Any issue parking trailer in driveway? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2022, 01:00 AM   #1

Name: Dub
Trailer: WTB
CA
Any issue parking trailer in driveway?

We are moving and I was looking at the new city’s municipal code regarding trailers. In short, It says trailers/boats/truck-campers etc must not be less than 20ft from the street or 3ft from a habitable structure. And also must be screened from view.

These rules are pretty standard in my region (I’m in the neighboring city), and I imagine fairly similar to many jurisdictions.

So I’m wondering if any of you have similar rules in your municipality, and defy them without issue. And/Or if you’ve ever been hassled.

In my soon to be neighborhood there is with 16-18ft trailer that’s right up on the street but largely blocked from view by a big hedge bush and it’s orientation at the end of a cul de sac There is another house with 5 big cars under covers (4 in the driveway and encroaching a little into the street and the 5th car parked on the street) that don’t look like they’ve moved in a ver long time. And then one house has a smaller boat on a boat trailer parked on the street. So I’m thinking maybe enforcement is not much of a concern.

And FWIW, if parking our 17ft Casita at our house, our only option is to leave it out on the driveway loud and proud, set back from the street probably about 10-12 feet. Unfortunately we no access up a side yard. That said, we will be painting the house immediately, and I think the fresh White House with a shiny white casita would look sweet and I’m guessing/hoping the neighbors would too.

Anyway, would be happy to hear if others have “violated” trailer parking rules without issue.
montereyfgrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:29 AM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
You seem determined to do this but I'd suggest looking into alternative parking, just in case. If a neighbor complains and the city enforces the rules, "what about those guys" probably won't get you off the hook. FWIW, if you moved in next to me I'd have some discussion with the city pretty quickly.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:08 AM   #3

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
We once lived in a village that didn't allow trailers parked outside of a garage. Being a village, I doubt if any garages were large enough for a trailer. We parked ours in a portion of driveway that was not visible to the public.
Our neighbor was on town council and he once said, "You know, trailers aren't permitted".
My response, "Joe, if you don't tell anyone, I don't think anyone will ever know".
After 17 years I never heard anything about it. Though once while wintering in Florida, the person contracted to shovel snow off my sidewalk failed to do his job. The village fined me $300.00 but after I explained what happed they gave me a one time bye.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:35 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
When the restrictions are HOA, there’s usually not a lot of wiggle room. Their lawyers will remind them that failing to enforce a rule makes it unenforceable in the future. Since they're also your neighbors, there's zero chance of flying under the radar.

OTOH county and municipal rules depend largely on complaints to initiate enforcement, so it can vary by neighborhood. As long as you keep your neighbors happy, you might go a long time without issue. However, all it takes is one person with an oversized or junky RV to change the mood, so you better have a plan B.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:51 AM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Dub, I guess it really depends on your neighbors. While I have not investigated my local bylaws, I assume I am under similar rules. However, in the 22 years that I have lived in my house, there have been trailers around us. My driveway accommodates 5 vehicles. Since about 2012, at least one of those were a Trillium trailer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	145354

Name:	2014.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	145355

Name:	2015.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	145356

Name:	2020.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	145357

The fact that there are 5 versions of google street view of my place is a bit of a head scratcher for me. Since the character of my neighborhood has always seemed to include trailers, I have never had any complaints. If Shelby lived near me, there probably would be more issues.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:20 AM   #6

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Since the character of my neighborhood has always seemed to include trailers, I have never had any complaints. If Shelby lived near me, there probably would be more issues.
You never know. I may have been waiting all these years to channel Cousin Eddie!
Old 03-28-2022, 09:32 AM   #7

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
You seem determined to do this but I'd suggest looking into alternative parking, just in case. If a neighbor complains and the city enforces the rules, "what about those guys" probably won't get you off the hook. FWIW, if you moved in next to me I'd have some discussion with the city pretty quickly.
Sorry, and I mean no offence, but I do find your position odd as a trailer owner. How bad can a trailer in good repair look and I am curious on what ground you base your position?

Is a trailer in good repair any uglier than a pickup truck in good repair?

Peace
Old 03-28-2022, 09:37 AM   #8

Tennessee
Apparently it's the position of the city.
Old 03-28-2022, 09:40 AM   #9

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
Sorry, and I mean no offence, but I do find your position odd as a trailer owner. How bad can a trailer in good repair look and I am curious on what ground you base your position?

Is a trailer in good repair any uglier than a pickup truck in good repair?

Peace
State of repair doesn't matter, it's all about the rules and if your neighbors complain. Some places won't let you put your trailer in the driveway for more than a certain length of time. They are worried about people living out of the trailer for an extended period. I recall reading somewhere that some towns restrict trailer parking because people were renting them out like Airbnb.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:42 AM   #10

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
FWIW, if you moved in next to me I'd have some discussion with the city pretty quickly.
I think people read that as YOU would report this person to the city.

I think you meant:
Quote:
FWIW, if you moved in next to me you should have some discussion with the city pretty quickly.
Is that right?
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:43 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
I have been dabbling with these wacky molded FG trailers for 10 years. Occasionally parking the trailer on the driveway for a few days until in 2020-2021 it stretched out to a few weeks while tackling major trailer projects.

My township ordinances require that any type of trailer be stored in the garage or rear yard. No steel tubing carports, etc. And our latest molded FG trailer does not fit in the garage. I store it elsewhere.

Well, a few months ago apparently someone complained (neighbors immediately said that they certainly didn't complain), and a written warning was attached to my front door. Oh well.

In my township the situation varies from neighborhood to neighborhood. Officers do not appear to be checking for violations, but will enforce.

EDIT: My township allows parking the trailer on the driveway up to 48 hours for loading/unloading.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:02 AM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
I think people read that as YOU would report this person to the city.

I think you meant:

Is that right?
I meant it as written. We have similar prohibitions where I live. Those of us with RVs have either gone to the trouble to create appropriate parking or we keep them off site. Obviously there are pros and cons to these kinds of restrictions but one shouldn't knowingly move somewhere intending to violate what exists.
Old 03-28-2022, 10:34 AM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by montereyfgrv View Post
We are moving and I was looking at the new city’s municipal code regarding trailers. In short, It says trailers/boats/truck-campers etc must not be less than 20ft from the street or 3ft from a habitable structure. And also must be screened from view.

These rules are pretty standard in my region (I’m in the neighboring city), and I imagine fairly similar to many jurisdictions.

So I’m wondering if any of you have similar rules in your municipality, and defy them without issue. And/Or if you’ve ever been hassled.

In my soon to be neighborhood there is with 16-18ft trailer that’s right up on the street but largely blocked from view by a big hedge bush and it’s orientation at the end of a cul de sac There is another house with 5 big cars under covers (4 in the driveway and encroaching a little into the street and the 5th car parked on the street) that don’t look like they’ve moved in a ver long time. And then one house has a smaller boat on a boat trailer parked on the street. So I’m thinking maybe enforcement is not much of a concern.

And FWIW, if parking our 17ft Casita at our house, our only option is to leave it out on the driveway loud and proud, set back from the street probably about 10-12 feet. Unfortunately we no access up a side yard. That said, we will be painting the house immediately, and I think the fresh White House with a shiny white casita would look sweet and I’m guessing/hoping the neighbors would too.

Anyway, would be happy to hear if others have “violated” trailer parking rules without issue.
Ahh!! California... You can block the public sidewalks living in a tent and use the gutter for an outhouse, but God forbid that you park your camper on your own property!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 11:01 AM   #14

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Ahh!! California... You can block the public sidewalks with a tent, crap in the gutter, but God forbid that you patk your camper on your own property!
All my friends HOA's won't let you park any type of trailer in the driveway. They live in South Carolina.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 11:10 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My trailer has been parked in the driveway since 2008. Any neighbour that lives within 300 metres could complain to the district, if they chose to. I just try to get along with my neighbours, and do.
Old 03-28-2022, 12:54 PM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
You never know. I may have been waiting all these years to channel Cousin Eddie!
Who's Eddie? I'm hopping that you are not refering to Iron Maiden's mascot:
Attached Thumbnails
Eddie.JPG  
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:14 PM   #17

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Pretty Simple.

IF you don't like the rules/laws in the city, HOA or neighborhood in which yhou are considering purchasing property don't buy property and move there!

However IF you wish to be the new PITA in the neighborhood just remember the first rule of marriage as it also works in lot's of other instances:

"It's easier to say I'm sorry than it is to ask for permission".

Having said that don't be a second time around PITA complaining when you git called out on your trailer illegally parked on your property by the city or your neighbors!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:40 PM   #18

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
It all depends one how much enforcement teeth your municipally gave the code enforcement officer. Some can go so far as removing and impounding your vehicles or trailer and requiring you to pay a fine along with towing and storage expenses to get it back. And if you violate their ordinance a second or third time the fine gets higher.

And HOAs, well I consider them to be dictatorships that can make your life miserable. How anyone can allow themselves to sign such a legal document that allows their legal rights to be taken away is beyond me!!!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:40 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I got a $75 fine for putting my garbage bin out the night before collection day. Next time, the fine is $500. Municipal bylaw. No HOA. And, it's not California.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:54 PM   #20

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I got a $75 fine for putting my garbage bin out the night before collection day. Next time, the fine is $500. Municipal bylaw. No HOA. And, it's not California.
Wow! Perhaps a neighbor reported you to the garbage police because he or she didn't do the same.