any suggestions on how to A/C a Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2006, 10:39 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium
Just got into the camping thing. Have a Trillium and are looking for suggestions on how to install a A/C unit??
JohnWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
what model/size of trillium do you have. What options re in it now?

there are a lot of different installs, search our archives as well
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:08 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Window? Closet? Under the table? On the roof?

So many choices, so little information offered on what's desired.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Window? Closet? Under the table? On the roof?

So many choices, so little information offered on what's desired.
Donna D. I thanked you for the tip on the scamp. I looked at it and decided not to get that one. The same day I received a call from a guy selling a 1975 Trillium. It was older, but in better shape. same size, 13 foot. The scamp had an A/C unit in the closet... since the Trillium is the same layout, I was thinking of going that way. Just trying to get some other ideas...
Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
Kathy & Doug Roach installed rooftop A/C on 2 different Trillia and they were very happy with them. The first install had a slight tilt to one side so when they did the 2nd one he made up some real slick roof supports to keep it level. With the rooftop units, you don't lose any of the valuable and limited closet space.

Maybe one of them will jump in here and post some photos.
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:45 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Charlie: I sure hope Kathy & Doug do drop in. I would love to see what they were able to configure to get an A/C on the roof. I've got a 2005 and the roof is not reinforced for an A/C. It was a "take this one, or make the 1,700 mile trip a second time".

Can you give me any details about how they did it? Was it interal braces from the floor, from the counter & closet, internal across the raised portion of the roof, or external across the raised portion of the roof? Did they install the A/C inplace of the roof vent, or cut another hole?

As you can see, I have lot's of questions. I thought I would be able to tolerate no A/C, but I am too soft in my old age.

Thanks
Curt

PS: Sorry about trying to Hi-Jack this thread.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:46 AM   #7

Someone fairly recently (humm like since Christmas) posted a mod of a closet A/C. I distinctly remember they had an access door outside and the A/C would slide out on rails. It was a very nice installation. What I liked about it was the A/C was totally inside the trailer during travels down the road.

But I can't find the post Anyone remember this? Please tell me I'm not dreaming
Old 01-21-2006, 09:10 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
Someone fairly recently (humm like since Christmas) posted a mod of a closet A/C. I distinctly remember they had an access door outside and the A/C would slide out on rails. It was a very nice installation. What I liked about it was the A/C was totally inside the trailer during travels down the road.

But I can't find the post Anyone remember this? Please tell me I'm not dreaming
Are you thinking of Lance MacArthur's photo show of his boler's mods? (General Chat, Jan. 12, Blue Boler Pix.) I thought Lance's A/C mod was very memorable, in fact the whole photo show was inspirational. Maybe it should be moved from General Chat to Modifications and Updates, where it would be easier to access.

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Are you thinking of Lance MacArthur's photo show of his boler's mods? (General Chat, Jan. 12, Blue Boler Pix.) I thought Lance's A/C mod was very memorable, in fact the whole photo show was inspirational. Maybe it should be moved from General Chat to Modifications and Updates, where it would be easier to access.

Jeanne
Oh thank you...it's nice to know someone has a better memory than I And yes, I moved the entire topic to Modifications and left a link back in General Chat...great suggestion

At anyrate John, check out the slide show...inspirational A/C mod among a bunch of other great things!!
Old 01-21-2006, 05:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ft
We are in process of putting an AC into our 1979 Trillium 4500. Our roof sagged when we put a fantastic fan into the fan-hole...I don't even want to think about what would happen if we put an AC on it!

We're installing it in the back window.
Bonnie Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:07 AM   #11

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
Excuse my sketching and writing skills, but here is generally what Doug did to support the roof for an A/C, also a very grainy portion photo of the installed A/C that I liberated. Hopefully Kathy & Doug can offer some more professioanlism on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Roof_Support.JPG  
Attached Images

Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:49 PM   #12

Registry
Thank You Charlie. That was one of the ways I was considering trying to engineer. Concerned about getting enough support and not pulling the screws out of the wood or thru the fiberglass.

Curtis
Old 01-24-2006, 05:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
why not the easyest way to ac a lill trill is to make a small frame for the escape window. and use a 5000 btu window unit. I did that on my 1300 for a trip to Lancaster Pa a few years back worked great in hig 90's we had that weekend after the floods
you have to lift the unit in and out for travleing i think my ac weighted about 45 pounds so it was not to hard to do
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:29 AM   #14

Quote:
why not the easyest way to ac a lill trill is to make a small frame for the escape window. and use a 5000 btu window unit. I did that on my 1300 for a trip to Lancaster Pa a few years back worked great in hig 90's we had that weekend after the floods
you have to lift the unit in and out for travleing i think my ac weighted about 45 pounds so it was not to hard to do
"Escape window"???? Which one is that?
Does my 1975 Trill have one?? Looks like the roof method is not a good idea. The closet method looks like the best so far. Not being a good carpenter I have been e-mailing around to some RV centers, but none have responded??
Have been looking at portable A/C units, only take a 5" exaust hole. Many too heavy. 60 plus pounds. Found a 40 pound 4,000 BTU from Freecom, but cannot find any distributors and have not received a response from Freecom???
I will read any suggestion.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:40 PM   #15

Registry
In my 2005 the escape window is "sealed" somehow. It has 2 red handles and will open, BUT it is not meant for routine opening and closing. At least that is my understanding. I did try to open it, the handles turn and there is a hinge that it would open on, but there is a sealant (silicone) around the mating pieces.

It's too dark tonite to go outside and look at, but I believe the above is correct.

Curtis
Old 01-26-2006, 06:14 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I don't know if this would apply to a Trillium, but the designated "escape" window in my Boler 1700 is simply the only one which opens wide enough to climb out of - we don't have the special window with red release handles like Curtis's unit or (for instance) a typical bus. That means not the jalousie-type kitchen window (the Trilliums seem to have a lot of those) or the small horizontal sliders used in the other three corners, but the big horizontal slider in the rear - I think that rear window in my trailer would open enough to insert an air conditioner as Al describes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:44 PM   #17

Trailer: 81 Trillium 5500 (Pearl)
Talking

As Charlie said, we've done two Trill a/c 's. Both have been rooftop Coleman Mini Mach's.
The first trailer was a '77 4500. While the unit worked great even in our South Florida heat & humidity, It's 70 lb. weight was a bit much for the unreinforced roof of that trailer. After a few months the a/c unit took on a decided list to port. It never did cause the roof to crack or leak, but looked a little screwey.

Our current trailer is a 5500 and has a very similar roof structure to the 4500... it's just a bit longer. We were determined not to have the same thing happen to this one so had a guy weld a steel "ladder" that the unit rests on. The ends of the steel are thru-bolted into the sides of the center "hump" that is endemic to Trilliums. So far (two years on) this has proven to be a perfect solution to carrying the weight of the a/c.

Attached is a photo that may give you a better idea what we did.

Hope this helps.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
5500_ac_4.jpg  
Kathy & Doug Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:11 PM   #18

Registry
Thanks Doug. That is a very neat install. What is the steel? 1" square stock?. Two bolts on each leg for a total of 8? I've got rat fur on the inside of mine that might get in the way, but could probably be finessed to look good. Going to see just how uncomfortable I am this year in my 13' and then we'll see.

Thanks again.
Curtis
Old 01-31-2006, 10:42 PM   #19

Trailer: 77 Trillium 13 ft
John:

If you have a '75. the escape window should be a large single pane in the back. (half of the complete window unit.) I have a '77 13 footer. I believe small window units are the easiest (and least expensive) way to cool a trailer with these type windows. I removed my escape window and made some brackets from small aluminum angle to mount a 5000 btu Gold Star unit. This unit is smaller that some 5000 btu units offered by other manufacturer's. Due to the light weight, mine is a permanent installation. It is positioned to not have excess imbalance out the back and therefore minimal stress on the shell when traveling over bumps. I often camp in 100 degree weather and it will usually keep it about 78 during the heat of the day but cool enough at night to make you pull out the quilt. I wish I could post some pictures but have not tried that yet. If your interested, let me know and I'll try to get handy with my new digital camera.
Lanny Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:30 AM   #20

Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
John,
I did some research on installing AC in a folding trailer (Aliner) before I got my Casita. The solution was to use an AC unit with top-mounted controls and a depth of less than 15 inches. The AC was installed behind the microwave cabinet and sticks out the side just a few inches. A vinyl cover is used when towing. I saved these links just in case I ever changed my mind about the Casita. I hope that they give you some ideas for your Trillium.
http://www.alinerclub.org/diy_installingac.html
http://www.aliner.com/page18.html
The AC unit that was used by Aliner was a Carrier model that is no longer made as far as I know. GE is now making a similar unit that is even smaller.
Craig Nold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium