Any tricks for filling water tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2019, 04:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Any tricks for filling water tank

My new to me little joe has a 6 gallon water tank..... I’m having a difficult time filling the tank
So far I’ve tried a funnel as well as short piece of hose
Anybody have any tricks of the trade
The inlet looks just like the inlet on a scamp ( of at least as I can remember)
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:57 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
You should have a hose from the inlet to the tank. Make sure it is not kinked or obstructed.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Fill the tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
My new to me little joe has a 6 gallon water tank..... I’m having a difficult time filling the tank
So far I’ve tried a funnel as well as short piece of hose
Anybody have any tricks of the trade
The inlet looks just like the inlet on a scamp ( of at least as I can remember)
Making some assumptions hers.
First you are filling some sort of water jug At a hydrant and walking it over to your camper. Then when you try to pour it water runs all over but not much in the tank.
1. Get the proper fittings that attach to the tank tightly and fittings for a hose, use a flexible piece of plastic tubing with a diameter that will go down your fill spout a few inches. Then you can hold the tank up and drain it into your Little Joe tank. Funnels work if they have a flexible spout and someone to hold them in place while you pour. Otherwise not so good.
Hope this helps.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:49 AM   #4

Name: Nettz
Trailer: UHaul
North Carolina
I had a like problem until I discovered the hose inside leading to tank was going uphill over wheel well. When I got it directed all downhill it fills just fine ( but run water slowly and be sure you don’t have air locks).
Annette in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #5

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Water Connections

You should have four items:
  1. Inline water filters such as: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-TastePU.../dp/B0024E6V30
  2. Water hoses (per Jack's item above). Be sure to get lead free hoses such as https://www.amazon.com/Camco-50ft-Ta.../dp/B003E1O9ZE
  3. A Camco Water Tank Filler w/ Shutoff Valve. Available many places; for example: https://www.pepboys.com/camco-water-...roduct/1009611
  4. Water pressure reducer: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Pressur.../dp/B003BZD08U
Use Items #1 & #2 for both a "city water" connection and/or to fill your fresh water tank. Connect #1 in-between the campground spigot and #2.

Item #3 is only for filling your fresh water tank. The flexible plastic tubing end fits directly into your water tank's inlet. Using the quarter turn shut off valve it allows you to turn the valve off when connecting/disconnecting to/from the campground's water spigot. That way you avoid the need to get yourself wet at the beginning/end of the fillup process.

Item #4 is only used for connections to "city water". Insert it inbetween the campground spigot and #1
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Maybe the tube that vents the tank is blocked. Sometimes spiders build nest in small openings. Or maybe there is a kink in that small vent tube. That would be enough to prevent it from filling properly.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Thanks to all the responses
To close the loop there was a definite kink in the hose... once I got under and looked closer it became obvious
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:35 PM   #8

Name: Glen
Trailer: trillium
Alberta
Maybe this?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ker-81880.html
Sparky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:20 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
on my casita 16, the tank fill goes really slow, I used a foot long piece of clear PVC hose that I slide through the filler, that helps a lot. on my escape, I can just put the brass hose end into the exterior fitting, and crank the hose up nearly full blast and it fills right up without any spitting til the air vent burbles when its totally full.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:52 PM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Thanks to all the responses
To close the loop there was a definite kink in the hose... once I got under and looked closer it became obvious
Glad you were able to resolve the problem.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote