Anyone Replaced Door Lock With Touch Pad Code instead of Key? - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-25-2021, 02:02 AM   #1

Name: Teresa
Trailer: Beachcomber
Wilsonville
Anyone Replaced Door Lock With Touch Pad Code instead of Key?

I have a Ď79 Beachcomber (like the surfside and triple e) that Iím renovating.
Would love to put a coded entry lock instead of the keyed entry.

Would love to know if/how this works?
Thanks!
Teresa in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:19 AM   #2

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
A good friend has the RVLOCK 4 and swears by it.

I don't have one yet. It's high on my list.

Walt
Old 07-25-2021, 10:22 AM   #3

Wilsonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
A good friend has the RVLOCK 4 and swears by it.

I don't have one yet. It's high on my list.

Walt

Thanks! Great to know Is your friend using it on a vintage fiberglass trailer?
Old 07-25-2021, 10:25 AM   #4

SW Virginia
No, he has a fairly new Escape. If yours has a curved door that might make the transition more of a challenge. Not sure.

Walt
Old 07-25-2021, 01:33 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa in Oregon View Post
I have a ‘79 Beachcomber (like the surfside and triple e) that I’m renovating.
Would love to put a coded entry lock instead of the keyed entry.

Would love to know if/how this works?
Thanks!
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tch-92344.html

I have been full timing for about a year. The batteries that came with the unit didn't quite last a year. I dropped my F-150 key fob along with the one for the door latch in a deep pool of non potable water. they were there for at least 15 minutes before I fished them out. I blew off the Ford unit with compressed air and it worked fine.

I had to take apart the door latch fob so I could blow it out properly. It is still working months later so it is ok.

The other night I tried to get in with no light. Naturally I didn't think of using the flashlight on my phone. The panel is illuminated but you have to push a button first. After a couple of tries I realized the lock, unlock button could be punched first to turn on the light and then the code. That has been my only aggravation so far.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:17 AM   #6

Wilsonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tch-92344.html

I have been full timing for about a year. The batteries that came with the unit didn't quite last a year. I dropped my F-150 key fob along with the one for the door latch in a deep pool of non potable water. they were there for at least 15 minutes before I fished them out. I blew off the Ford unit with compressed air and it worked fine.

I had to take apart the door latch fob so I could blow it out properly. It is still working months later so it is ok.

The other night I tried to get in with no light. Naturally I didn't think of using the flashlight on my phone. The panel is illuminated but you have to push a button first. After a couple of tries I realized the lock, unlock button could be punched first to turn on the light and then the code. That has been my only aggravation so far.

Thanks for the info Thomas!
Old 07-26-2021, 07:46 AM   #7

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
We've had our RV4 lock since January. The door had to be slammed to close since the latch was too long. Once I filed the latch about 1/8" shorter the door closed easily.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs - 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, that we regret selling, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we also regret selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:59 AM   #8

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
The RV lock brand is one of many of the same lock, marketed by different companies. I selected one on price point and quality of installation and operating instructions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The key locks are real cheesy and it would not take the Lock Picking Lawyer on Youtube 15 seconds to get in, but the keypad is nice and eliminates one more key from your key ring and if you lock up to go for a hike or where ever, no key is needed to get back in. (I don't use fobs, hate the things). I still had issues programming the code, the instructions don't tell you that it has to be done twice in succession to take, but I finally got it.

Due to the way these are manufactured, they want to move around in the door, and I found that by taking the old plate that was on the door itself and trimming the upper and lower ends to allow it to fit inside the door, it gave a surface for the lock to seat on and became solid in the door.

When shutting my door, I pull on the handle to retract the striker and then give the door a gentle push and listen for the click of the striker, this way I have minimal wear on the lock, its all cheezy cast zinc or similar pot metal.

Charles
Old 08-01-2021, 02:22 PM   #9

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Iíve installed one on a Trillium curved door. Works well, no batteries.
https://lockeyusa.com/product/m220/
https://lockeyusa.com/wp-content/upl...DE-100x100.jpg
David Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:11 AM   #10

SW Virginia
I had been told that RVLock offers big discounts a couple of times each year so I waited and bought one last week. I saved $90 by waiting. It came this week and I installed it yesterday. I must say it was ridiculously easy to install in about 10 minutes and worked as claimed. I know I'm going to like it because I have installed several keyless locks on my house. As to whether I will like the fob; I'll give it a try for awhile and see.

One issue. The cutout sticks out a tiny bit in one spot which would let water into the lock. I called RVLock and they offered to sell me a decal to cover it and recommended some silicone caulk to be sure it was sealed.
The same thing happened on the youtube demonstration I watched.
That suggests it happens often and I think the company should just include the decal with all locks. It would save them having to deal with call ins and mailing which likely costs them more than the small amount they charge for them, $11 including shipping.

Walt