Anyone tried the newer 3M Perfect-It cutting compounds? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-16-2022, 11:15 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
British Columbia
Anyone tried the newer 3M Perfect-It cutting compounds?

I know there are many posts about different techniques to remove oxidation and polish fibreglass. After some review I've decided to try a 3M product, and I think its between the Perfect-It Medium Gel-Coat Cutting Compound or Perfect-It Heavy, both formulated for gel-coat.
I have a good Porter-Cable random orbital polisher with wool bonnets and plan to tackle this in the summer (if it ever arrives).
Not sure whether my '89 Bigfoot has medium or heavy oxidation?? I'm a relatively new owner of the unit and have not done any exterior cosmetic work. I have some of that speckled darkish spotting, that I presume is some kind of lichen...but overall, is it medium or heavy oxidation?.. who knows... seems a bit arbitrary, as you would have some latitude with how aggressive you get with your compound and power tool.

These products aren't cheap in Canada, so I'd like to get started on the right foot.

Also, the 'Medium' (part No. 36106) is advertised as a one step process, and also provides a polishing effect. Not so for the Heavy, which makes sense when there is still some progressively finer steps to take. I've read quite a few of the Amazon reviewers, but still a bit unsure. I"m probably over-thinking this...

Any comments welcome, especially from any users of these products.

Bob
89' Bigfoot 17 foot DLX
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:33 AM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Hi Bob. I posted "Results: 3M Protect-It Cutting Compound" on 5-22-2020.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:27 AM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
British Columbia
Thanks Brian,
That was helpful, and I can see I should have posted under the 'Care and Feeding' section, where there is much banter on surface care. I'm going to try the 3M without pre-sanding, as my finish is actually pretty decent looking except for the fine dark spotting that you see when standing near.
Bob
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:53 PM   #4

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Before you abrade some of the gel coat off, I suggest that you try what worked for me. My Casita had those little greenish/gray spots, that looked like lichen.

I was able to remove them by applying concentrated sodium carbonate (aka Oxyclean). I think that doing it under bright sunny conditions helped catalyze the reaction (but maybe in BC that might be hard to find until August, LOL). I reapplied the thick solution/paste and tried to keep it moist with a fine mist of water from my garden hose (think it does not do much once it is completely dried). It was not all that much work (compared to buffing the entire trailer), and it really got the gel coat looking very much like new.
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote