Anyone use a Weather Radio? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-22-2019, 07:22 AM   #21

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I bought a small radio that does everything but the dishes Actually I bought it because of the multiple ways to charge the batteries. As a traveler, I think the weather frequency may be invaluable. It certainly doesn't have the best speakers, but the acoustics in my trailer or sitting outside under the awning AND my hearing are really bad anyway and this radio works well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Midland-Consu.../dp/B015QIC1PW

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:17 AM   #22

Name: jim
Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape21 DeJa View pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I wish they put weather radio in automobiles....

Old 11-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #23

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Well..now why did I not think of that? Yes! This statement from cpaharley 2008 got me to thinking. The radio in my 2019 Big Foot is a Jensen JWM70A. The brief and simple abbreviated instruction sheet supplied by the dealer is enough to make it work to a degree., but has no detailed information. I Googled the owner's manual and low and behold I found this very detailed Jensen manual pdf. This manual details how to use the weather radio function, with alerts, on this unit! I will go out and see if it actually works and if so I may not need a stand alone weather radio, or at least not an expensive weather radio.

If anyone wants a copy of this Jensen pdf just let me know and I will email you a copy.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:00 AM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
If you ever get the chance to go to a high school or college produced play called “ “ “Voice of the Prairie” I would advise you to go. If the acting, although amateur, is sincerely done by young folks, it’s a beautiful story about the early days of rural American radio. Dick Biondi on WLS he’s still alive and broadcasting till a couple years ago. KAAY in Little Rock would come in pretty strong too.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #25

Tennessee
I would go in a heartbeat if available in any area that I am at. Somehow I have to remember this...Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #26

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry

I just recently bought a Kaito KA390 on the advice of this YouTube review as I didn't want cranks ,solar panels and all that other gimmicky stuff. I already have one of those and it is a piece of junk. This one takes 3 D cell batteries so it will run for quite awhile. It has FM, AM, SW, and WB. The reviewer said the SW was all but worthless but for $25.00 on Amazon that it was a very good deal. As a matter of fact it is Amazons choice for weather radios. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kaito+ka3...l_9kqi9abm0r_e. I doubt it is the best weather radio on the market but it does what I want it to do for a very reasonable price.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #27

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I'm surprised that it seems that no one else seems to agree that the S.A.M.E. capability is important. I don't think that any other the radios mentioned in this thread are S.A.M.E. capable.

The particular event that convinced me of the need was the repeated alarms for a localized areal flood warning that did not affect me. After these alerts woke me out of a sound sleep for the third time I shut the radio off. A S.A.M.E. radio would not have woke me unless the warning was for the specific area I was in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
I just recently bought a Kaito KA390 ... As a matter of fact it is Amazons choice for weather radios. ...
Just what is an "Amazon's Choice"? I mean other than the most profitable item for them? I see it has only 60% five star ratings.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:14 PM   #28

Name: Bing
Trailer: Sunland Express
Minnesota
Weather Radios

Quote:
Ever notice the "K" stations are on the other side of Mississippi and the "W" on this side except for the first stations mentioned since it they were the first stations before they needed to organize the signal letters.
Here in Northern Minnesota we have stations 80+ years on the air with both W & K call signs. We are different as MN is not only east and west of the Mississippi but also North of it! Guess the FCC just punted when they issued call letters back then.
For a weather radio check out C. Crane for radios. Almost any kind you could want. I have no association with them, just another place to check out.
Bing M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:46 PM   #29

Texas
Registry
Well Gordon2 if you think those same radios are the way to go put up a link so we can all see what your talking about. As far as that Kaito KA 390 being Amazons choice I would guess that they are selling more than the other models, not that they are the best but for 25 bucks its a good deal.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:54 PM   #30

Name: Alan
Trailer: 1983 Casita & 1972 home-built
Oregon
Sangean MMR-88 with USB and hand crank and solar charging.
Frys had it cheap.
ARVZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:11 PM   #31

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
California
My county recently did a test of using the weather radio for targeted emergency broadcasts, and uses the Midland WR120B which worked fine during the testing and includes SAME.

Bill Dornbush
Old 11-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #32

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwdornbush View Post
My county recently did a test of using the weather radio for targeted emergency broadcasts, and uses the Midland WR120B which worked fine during the testing and includes SAME.

Bill Dornbush
I think I like their WR400 model better at least on paper, but all of them are AC powered, with 3-4 AA battery backups... not really practical for travel use. it looks like Midland's AC adapter is 9V, 3 watts, so it wouldn't be that hard to make a DC-DC 9V power supply for it
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:28 PM   #33

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I think I like their WR400 model better at least on paper, but all of them are AC powered, with 3-4 AA battery backups... not really practical for travel use. it looks like Midland's AC adapter is 9V, 3 watts, so it wouldn't be that hard to make a DC-DC 9V power supply for it
I travel with rechargeable batteries that I recharge using a small inverter when I don't have AC. It is practical for me.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:00 PM   #34

North Carolina
Quote:
Well Gordon2 if you think those same radios are the way to go put up a link so we can all see what your talking about. ....
As I mentioned I have no personal experience owning one so I make no specific recommendations. I just think its a feature not only worth having, but one that is actually required if you don't want a bunch of unneeded alerts at all hours.

A little Google search for weather radio with S.A.M.E. shows many options such as:

https://www.amazon.com/Midland-HH54V.../dp/B003DMIGQC
https://www.amazon.com/Midland-Emerg.../dp/B071HFV836
https://www.amazon.com/Midland-WR120.../dp/B00176T9OY

But for the information about S.A.M.E. I refer you to the links I posted before.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:47 PM   #35

Texas
Registry
the second and third one are pretty nice and I see they are both Amazon choice weather radios also.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #36

North Carolina
Quote:
the second and third one are pretty nice and I see they are both Amazon choice weather radios also.
Yes there seem to be many "choices"... marketing is so interesting!
Old 11-22-2019, 09:15 PM   #37

Name: sven
FL
Been using a multi band radio for over 30 years while traveling all over the world . Gets the weather , BBC , Voice of America... With the internet is easy to research the frequencies for the shows you want. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q5APCC...l_9moimhrksp_b
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:55 PM   #38

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Looking for recommendations for a weather radio. We camp for many days outside cell phone range and would like a NOAA weather radio, preferable with SAME technology. When moving we use various apps on the iPhone. But when camped outside of cell tower range I am thinking I would like a weather radio, with alerts and what not.

I would like to have both good reception and good sound in a weather radio unit, or a radio that can access the NOAA. It will stay in my travel trailer.

I had an Eaton wind up, but the soft rubber parts degraded or rotted after a few years so I chucked it, and it was not very useable anyway; the solar charger did not work well nor did the wind up mechanism. I have an Oregon Scientific WR8000, but it does not bring in the stations well and the speaker/sound is not good. I also have a Optimus 12-797 (Radio shack), which has been acceptable but the speaker is weak.

Do you use a weather radio or do you just rely on the apps on your phone?

I did a search on this forum but could not get anything to come up.
We have a weather radio with alerts on it. It has a 9 volt battery backup I believe along with 110V. That way our battery doesn't die so soon but if electric is out we have the weather alerts. Our cell phone is a flip phone so it doesn't do anything except make and receive calls.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:48 AM   #39

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito13 View Post
Been using a multi band radio for over 30 years while traveling all over the world . Gets the weather , BBC , Voice of America... With the internet is easy to research the frequencies for the shows you want. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q5APCC...l_9moimhrksp_b
Thanks Sven but this radio is no longer made. The only way to buy it is used. The updated version is an Eton Elite Field AM/FM/Shortwave Desktop Radio with Bluetooth. I read the lowest ratings and it does not appear to be acceptable (Amazon)
:1) The instructions were very poor, e.g., did not include any specifications.
2) Nowhere was it explained that the radio could only receive a bluetooth signal from another device; in other words, the radio signal could not be sent via bluetooth to an external device (e.g., external speakers). Since this was not explained in the instructions it took considerable experimentation to figure out.
3) Finally, volume from the radio's speaker was at first good, but shortly failed to increase to anything beyond a minimum no matter what it was turned up to.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:53 AM   #40

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Quote:

I wish weather radios had presets that allow you to choose the weather you want.