Apollo Norseman awning stay or go? T4500 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #21

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Looks good to me. I would not have cut room in the ensolite for the washers. I would just have put the washers over the ensolite. I like the idea of gluing the Ensolite to the top of the nuts.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:22 PM   #22

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
For nice finished look, at this point you could consider adding acorn nuts, possibly with large size (plastic) washers to cover the hole. That rail looks great on the outside.
VHB tape (3M) is a superstrong double sided foam tape, sometimes .06 to .09 in. thick, which can fill and seal gaps. It is really tough, but it alone would not be enough for the awning, I am pretty sure.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyle View Post
My recent experience with a Shadow awning is similar. The rear several feet had pulled out of the roof.
One of the reasons that I prefer/installed a regular pulldown awning is that most of the weight when in transport is carried by the awning arms/hardware instead of by the rail. I think bag awnings, depending on type, can simply prove to weigh too much for the rail to withstand the stresses involved if hanging the whole shootin' match off the rail when in transport. Weight combined with movement may have just proven too much for the fasteners in the examples contained in this thread.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:06 PM   #24

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhee View Post
Thanks Jon. I agree with you. Less holes in the shell the better. It is coming off today and won't be going back on. I did have a read and search of many threads on here and gleaned some good ideas. Generally I do like the approach of a bonded rail or anchor points vs rivets. With the bonding agents available today like Sika products for marine use it makes sense to distribute the stresses on the mounting surface vs a tiny rivet (or eye hook as I suggested earlier).

I know this post is a few years old, but do you still have the awning stored somewhere. I am looking for the rafter slider. I found it on google, it came up as Norseman Apollo

https://images.app.goo.gl/yJoaoDd6Bya3x868

Thanks
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:48 PM   #25

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy F View Post
I know this post is a few years old, but do you still have the awning stored somewhere. I am looking for the rafter slider. I found it on google, it came up as Norseman Apollo

https://images.app.goo.gl/yJoaoDd6Bya3x868

Thanks
you will need to try to send a private message to the person who removed the awing. That is because he has not logged into this forum since 2016. When responding to old thread it is best to click on the profile of the person you want to talk to and see if they are still active members of the forum. Many times they have not been see for ages. That is because they come in to get help with an issue and when the issue is solved they don't stick around.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:44 AM   #26

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
you will need to try to send a private message to the person who removed the awing. That is because he has not logged into this forum since 2016. When responding to old thread it is best to click on the profile of the person you want to talk to and see if they are still active members of the forum. Many times they have not been see for ages. That is because they come in to get help with an issue and when the issue is solved they don't stick around.

Thank you for the information, I am not very good at getting around on here. Tough it is my first stop to see what others are doing, and I have lots of good information for my little boler project.

My hubby went into the workshop and is making one up from a different type of material, not quite finished yet. So I will go onto cleaning the rest of the parts so we can put it back together.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:42 PM   #27

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhee View Post
Holes cut in the ensolite for washers and nuts. I did not want to do this but was the only clean and fast way to washer,lock washer and nut all 14 bolts quickly and without getting sealant smeared all over. I may grind off the approx 1/4 of bolt length sticking out past the nut inside but also may keep them as is to scab on for future mods like a small clothesline (inside)??? They look ok nice and shiney stainless!!! I needed as much purchase area on the fibreglass as possible (achieved with nice big washers inside and out) as many were damaged cracked and enlarged from the constant stress of the heavy awning over many years that is the rail holes and the fibreglass holes. So using the 1/4 bolts worked well and what I have avail locally to work with no one has decent rivets and They would not have provided consistent results at least with me using a rivet tool. Not a fan of them... I will probably go around the black ensolite and washer with some white.......

Silicone!
Gawd I hate that stuff.
I knw this is an old post, but I used acorn nuts on the inside of mine, like the rest in the boler.
Husband said don't use silicone terrible suff.

Tags
awning, trillium