Applying vinyl on reflectix- need help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2007, 01:42 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
hi y'all
my second major job on my recently acquires Trillium was replacing the ensolite.

After putting Reflectix up it was time to put the vinyl on top of it.

I used my wife's advice and used the old ensolite as template. I gave myself 1-1.5 inches as buffer around the edges.

I used 3M 77 spray adhesive.

the issue is the vinyl wrinckling due to the curves on the wall.

are there any tips and tricks that I should have followed?

Thanks,
Mo
Mo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 11:46 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

When I did this in my '71 Compact Jr, I "patched in" the tightest curvy areas in the "corners". This made more seams, but prevented some wrinkling; which was an acceptable trade-off for me. I also used "oilcloth" which is a cotton backed vinyl, and the fluffy cotton backing made a backing buffer that hid imperfections underneath and smoothed out the surface.

I still ruined several panels with excessive wrinkling, and had to do them over. I way over bought the oilcloth material, because I knew it would happen.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:09 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
After putting Reflectix up it was time to put the vinyl on top of it.

I used my wife's advice and used the old ensolite as template. I gave myself 1-1.5 inches as buffer around the edges.

I used 3M 77 spray adhesive.

the issue is the vinyl wrinckling due to the curves on the wall.

are there any tips and tricks that I should have followed?
You may not want to hear this and I don't have directly experience with 3M Spray 77/99 but in doing the research on my new insulation/headliner for my 17, I spoke with a few places that do headliner on boats (aqualine vinyl) and Joe from teamtrillium... I also found some automotive threads. They all seemed to relate the same knowledge about Spray 77 and Spray 99... Aqualine Vinyl specifically said they use reflectix for insulation and then their lightweight fiber based liner and in their experience, spray 77/99 work well on the vertical surfaces but for the overhead surfaces, they would sell me another really volatile but good glue... Seems that under high temperatures (like when the trailer/boat is stored in the sun with all the windows closed), Spray 77/99 tends to let go and on overhead surfaces, the weight of the insulation/material will cause it to pull away from the fiberglass...

I also heard this story from Joe at teamtrillium who sold me a special glue that he uses on the new Trilliums... Finally, a guy in my dad's old car club redid the entire interior of his old porsche using reflectix and spray-99... First hot day this spring, all the roofing peeled off...

We just did the insulation and headliner on the Boler 17 this weekend.. It's a ginormous amount of work that I would never do again (I would hire a professional)...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5466.sized.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	7998

I would call Joe and try to find out what kind of glue he uses...
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:58 AM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
thanks, that is really good insight.

I think I will leave it this year, and next year I will get a professional to re-do it.
can't say i did not try.... I knew I was pushing my envelope when I embarked on this, but it was fun trying.
Mo22 is offline   Reply With Quote