April in Arizona - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2018, 01:08 PM   #1

Name: D. Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Manitoba
April in Arizona

Greeting Friends. I'm sure Jon will be able to answer my question. My wife and I are planning to visit my brother in Prescott Valley, Arizona, in mid April. My wife is worried about getting snakes , scorpions and any creepy critters in our Scamp while camping there. What are the risks, and precautions or the degree of concern one might have in that area. We mostly traveled in the mid west and Upper States and Canada.
Jim
Jim Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Look on the bright side at least you won’t have to deal with mosquitos or black flies.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:03 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
az

just left there saw nothing.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post

bob
SoBob, did you even make it to the Quartzsite Rally? I looked for you...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:08 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post

bob
Hey bob glad to hear you are back in civilization,hope you had a great time in Quatzite
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'd say your wife's fears are generally unfounded, but common sense is in order.

Snakes... are just emerging about that time of year, starting at lower elevations. Your chances of encountering one in Prescott Valley are low. We were setting up camp near Tucson in early April when a rattlesnake crawled lethargically across our site and right under the trailer. It's belly was bulging with a recent meal, and our arrival had likely disturbed its post-meal slumber. It slowly (and silently- apparently it didn't consider us a threat) made its way into the brush and went back to sleep, or so I guess- we never saw it again. We kept our distance, and there was nothing particularly dangerous or frightening about it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0151.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	115790

Scorpions... are more of a nuisance and also more active in warmer months. They like to hide under and inside pillows, blankets, clothing, and shoes, so shake out anything left lying around outside (or better, don't leave that kind of stuff lying around in the first place). We've never had one inside the trailer- I give attention to making sure the door seal has no gaps all the way around- but I can't say the same for our house. They are fairly regular visitors, mostly in July and August, but occasionally all year round. In general, limiting clutter gives them fewer places to hide and makes them easier to spot. Once spotted, they freeze, so they're easy to kill. Our house is in an area of rocky, volcanic ground where they like to build underground nests. Your brother can tell you how big a problem they are locally.

If the worst happens, the sting of most species is like a moderately severe bee sting, usually accompanied by some minor numbness, lingering for several hours- ice and benadryl help. We've only had 2 stings among 4 people over 12 years, neither requiring medical attention. It's my understanding the bark scorpion can be more dangerous. I haven't encountered one. Your brother can also tell you whether there are any scorpions in his area you should be particularly concerned about.

Relax and enjoy your visit!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:38 AM   #7

Name: D. Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Manitoba
Jon
Thanks. This is very helpful.
Jim
Jim Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
jon we made it we spent 3 days I don't think wifey liked it too well. we went to all the junk stuff did I say junk we aren't rock hounds so all that stuff didn't interest me too well.

oh we spent one night up in your area we arrived late at night and parked along the highway! Then we got up the next am and headed into quartzite for the day later we headed to the flats and finally landed at phimosa for 2 day all free camping of course.

I really liked your area but wife liked being flat so that's where we wound up. I think we arrived too late for all the good stuff oh well next year. by the way we got home just in time for a major ice storm we have ice on everything here all the schools are closed and temp was 15d when we got home.

all in all we had a good time and I hope to do it again next year. I fell down on the ice hurt my back and after 2 major rod jobs I am fearful should have stayed a few more days at quartzite as today all the ice is going to melt off!!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba Jim View Post
Jon
Thanks. This is very helpful.
Jim
I'll add to reassure your wife... That was my first and only close encounter with a live rattlesnake in 34 years living in Arizona. When hiking I've heard one or two rattle as a warning not to get any closer... and I didn't! I never actually saw the snake, just heard it. If you have a dog, do keep it on a leash for obvious reasons.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:45 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
Jim, I was in New River, Az. for the Phoenix Open last week with my two dogs. I was struck and amazed by the amount of cactus and cactus stickers all over the ground. We could barely go out of the camper without getting stickers in our feet and shoes. And then they would inevitably end up inside the camper where I would then step on them in the middle of the night. I don't know if the Prescott area has these same issues. As long as I have dogs (and I will always have dogs) I will not be going back to Arizona. It just seems cruel to take a dog into that environment IMHO.
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #11

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba Jim View Post
Greeting Friends. I'm sure Jon will be able to answer my question. My wife and I are planning to visit my brother in Prescott Valley, Arizona, in mid April. My wife is worried about getting snakes , scorpions and any creepy critters in our Scamp while camping there. What are the risks, and precautions or the degree of concern one might have in that area. We mostly traveled in the mid west and Upper States and Canada.
Jim
I lived in Prescott for 10 years. No problems with any of the things you mentioned. Prescott Valley is a little more rural but is so built up now that things like that are most likely not found around unless you are way out on the edges of town. We go there every 2-3 years and have never had a problem. In the desert you will find all the critters. Take a can of wasp spray the kind that sprays a long stream and if you encounter anything that will take care of it. It is also a good protection if someone bothers you anywhere you are. Legal and effective. Just to be safe when you get out open the door slowly and look before you step out. That is a good policy anywhere you camp.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:42 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
April in Arizona

Our current dog is a homebody, but I've taken dogs out in the low deserts as well as every other elevation zone in the state. I've never experienced anything as severe as Tom describes- must have been a localized issue.

Grass burrs are a more common issue in the middle elevations such as Prescott Valley. Some have a pretty wicked bite, and they can get stuck between a dog's toes. Wear long pants and good shoes when hiking on rough trails, and some put "shoes" on dogs, too- more like sturdy booties, really.