Are my ST tires still good? - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2021, 11:46 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Are my ST tires still good?

Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15
These were put on our Casita around 3 years ago. They were used for about 1800 miles then, and the trailer has been in enclosed storage ever since. Now I need to move it 90 miles from here. They look virtually new, but will they make it? Iím going to put in air because the tires are 55 and 50 PSI. Iíll probably go up to 60 or 65 PSI since itís pretty empty, and take back roads so I wonít be a hazard going 65mph when everyone else maintains a solid 85.
Iíd like to avoid buying new ones since it might be another three years before I use it on trips again.
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:57 AM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
DATE CODE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth C. View Post
Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15
These were put on our Casita around 3 years ago. They were used for about 1800 miles then, and the trailer has been in enclosed storage ever since. Now I need to move it 90 miles from here. They look virtually new, but will they make it? I’m going to put in air because the tires are 55 and 50 PSI. I’ll probably go up to 60 or 65 PSI since it’s pretty empty, and take back roads so I won’t be a hazard going 65mph when everyone else maintains a solid 85.
I’d like to avoid buying new ones since it might be another three years before I use it on trips again.
What is the date code? most of us change quality tires every 5 - 6 years

(Date code, not when the dealer sold them to you)
Attached Thumbnails
date code.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:01 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
What is the date code? most of us change quality tires every 5 - 6 years

(Date code, not when the dealer sold them to you)
Also check speed rating, many RV tires are rated at 60 MPH.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Tire stores will mount tires up to 10 years old.
Tire condition is important, but they are not actually day old donuts.
I can't inspect your tires ,but I suspect you have little or nothing to worry about.
I would air them up and have them inspected when you get to town.
As always... inspect them and "When in doubt don't".

The only tire failure I've had in the last 20 years was a tire less than 6 months old. Rules of thumb are not "cut in stone" and any tire can fail.

Another example is wheel bearing repack.
Some say "once a year" but many go 5 years,
If the trailer was in in storage and 12 months had elapsed, I would at least tow it to the shop for a repack without getting nervous.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:07 PM   #5

Registry
Thanks for the good information. I think I will stop by the tire place up the road and have them check the tires and the spare. Maybe they can do the bearings, too.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:47 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
.... I’m going to put in air because the tires are 55 and 50 PSI..
Is that the current pressure or the max inflation rating? If the latter then the tires are not matched? And of course you should check the pressure before any trip.
Quote:
...I’ll probably go up to 60 or 65 PSI since it’s pretty empty, ...
Actually, if the camper is empty (light weight) then a little under the max PSI rating might be good.. but that depends on the tire specifications and actual trailer weight. After weighing my camper and going by the specs of the tires, I decided to run them at 60 psi where max inflation is 65. But the original tires were 50 psi max so going to 60 (or 65) psi with the original tires would have been a mistake. YMMV. And never go over the max rating (except for some storage conditions).

So you need to know the weight rating and speed rating of the tires, and at what max inflation, and the date code. Weighing the trailer also to see that the tires match the load is a good idea but in your suitition you can estimate. Going to a trustworthy tire shop might be the best approach.

And if the tires were appropriate for the trailer, and more or less new when put on three years ago, and the camper stored indoors then they should be good for at least three or four more years with no concern over milage in your case.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:39 PM   #7

Registry
Thanks, gordon2. That all makes a lot of sense. I took several pictures of the tires to examine since it wasnít light enough in the storage unit to see well. The tires are the same make and model, but one has 50 PSI (cold) and the other 55. The max PSI says 80 at full load, which is why I thought Iíd drop it down to 65 with my light load.
I canít find a date in my pictures but will take a flashlight tomorrow. Iíll also check for max speed. My husband always said to keep it at 65 or less when I drove, and since he was a safety fanatic, thatís probably the fastest Iíd ever go anyway.
Thanks again!
Old 11-20-2021, 06:44 AM   #8

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Just a couple of comments I hope will ease your concerns. Those are the best trailer tires available. They were introduced in 2017 and IIRC were in short supply for awhile after release. It won't hurt to look for a date code but with covered storage there is little chance they will have aged out by any rational standard. I would run a hand over both sides to check for obvious bulges, air them up to 65psi as you said, and tow with confidence. 65mph is a smart limit for towing, regardless. FWIW, the 80psi max on the tire indicates load range E.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 10:31 PM   #9

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
Many tires only have the date code on one side.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:31 AM   #10

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Endurance is now in short supply and expected to be difficult to find until spring. From what the OP describes, the tires will be fine, take a look at them and air them to the proper pressure and roll. Those are the only trailer tires I have any confidence in. They are made in the USA, and there have been very few reports of problems with them.

Charles
Old 11-28-2021, 09:30 AM   #11

Registry
Apparently the Endurance has proven better than the former icon...
Goodyear Marathon.

But just a note to those reading this thread and running smaller fiberglass trailers...
AFAIK, Goodyear doesn't make an Endurance in 13"
Even if they did, I would still buy the Carlisle HD which is certainly the best 13" trailer tire I have found.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:22 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
IIRC, correct inflation pressure for a Casita at its max 3500 lb GWR is 50 PSI. Tires often have a higher weight rating than the vehicle needs, and that higher weight rating is achieved at a higher PSI, but there's no actual benefit running them that hard, it will just make the ride harsher on the contents of the trailer, so I pretty much always stick with the vehicle's recommended pressure.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:08 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
IIRC, correct inflation pressure for a Casita at its max 3500 lb GWR is 50 PSI. Tires often have a higher weight rating than the vehicle needs, and that higher weight rating is achieved at a higher PSI, but there's no actual benefit running them that hard, it will just make the ride harsher on the contents of the trailer, so I pretty much always stick with the vehicle's recommended pressure.
The real solution is to buy the appropriate load rating to begin with.
I run Cs on my Scamp even though Ds cost the same.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:39 AM   #14

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
3 yr old tires stored under cover like yours should be just fine. Check for cracks on the sidewalls....you most likely will find none. My Casita is stored outside.....I get 5 to 6 years out of them......I replace them becasue of age....not wear. You will be fine on your short trip......sounds like your tires have thousands of miles of usage on them. Good luck....
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires