Are The Casita 17 Deluxe And The 17 Standard The Same Shape? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-26-2020, 10:08 AM   #1

Name: Wade
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Are The Casita 17 Deluxe And The 17 Standard The Same Shape?

Hi I have a casita 17 deluxe shell that I'm renovating and I was wondering if I could cut out a hole for a front window like in the standard. Are the two shells the same shape? Would a standard front window fit properly if I cut out the correct size hole in my deluxe?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2903.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	137678
Wade R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:54 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Yes, same shape. But I’m pretty sure the “standard window” is just a piece of plexiglass installed with a locking gasket. The exact size is not critical as long as you don’t make it too big, and the materials to make it are available from a number of sources.

The fiberglass cutout is commonly used to make a rock guard with edge trim and some attachment hardware. Forum member Ian Giles sells high quality stainless steel hardware online at www.campingtreasures.com.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
How large of a window are you looking to install, and what is your goal for interior furnishing at the front end of the trailer?

You might also find some difficulties in attempting to install a larger window due to the very pronounced compound curvature of the front end.

As far as your question about the size and shape of the trailer shell, yes the Deluxe and Standard are exactly the same. The differences lie mainly in that the Deluxe has the front bathroom, while the Standard didn't have the bathroom. There are also some differences in the way of installed equipment and appliances, but the bathroom is the single biggest difference.

I have a 2008 17" SD, which didn't have a window because it had the bathroom. I never liked not being able to see out towards the front of the trailer without having to actually go outside to do it, so I quickly remedied that situation with my non-opening "port hole" style window that I mounted in the bathroom, dead center in the front end. Now I can keep an eye on my tow vehicle and any other front-end activity without having to go outside.

I also added a 3-way switch to the little propane tank convenience light up front and I installed another 3-way switch inside, so now I can also have the front area lit up to see outside at night just by turning on my inside switch.
Attached Thumbnails
040 (Large).jpg   Front Window Inside.jpg  

Phonedownload 009.jpg   Phonedownload 008.jpg  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:26 AM   #4

Name: Wade
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
How large of a window are you looking to install, and what is your goal for interior furnishing at the front end of the trailer?

You might also find some difficulties in attempting to install a larger window due to the very pronounced compound curvature of the front end.

As far as your question about the size and shape of the trailer shell, yes the Deluxe and Standard are exactly the same. The differences lie mainly in that the Deluxe has the front bathroom, while the Standard didn't have the bathroom. There are also some differences in the way of installed equipment and appliances, but the bathroom is the single biggest difference.

I have a 2008 17" SD, which didn't have a window because it had the bathroom. I never liked not being able to see out towards the front of the trailer without having to actually go outside to do it, so I quickly remedied that situation with my non-opening "port hole" style window that I mounted in the bathroom, dead center in the front end. Now I can keep an eye on my tow vehicle and any other front-end activity without having to go outside.

I also added a 3-way switch to the little propane tank convenience light up front and I installed another 3-way switch inside, so now I can also have the front area lit up to see outside at night just by turning on my inside switch.

Probably gonna attempt to add window approximately the size of the one that comes in the bathroom-less casitas. I'm going to build out a totally custom interior. I'm planning on extending the bed / dinette 6" to make it a queen (green), replacing the current kitchen area with one large closet w/ drawers (blue), and turning the bathroom / seating area into one large L shape kitchen / storage area (red).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3022.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	137824
Wade R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:00 PM   #5

Registry
Sounds like you've got quite a project going on. Be sure to update and add pictures as you go along so we can see the transformation. Should be an interesting layout when it's done. Good luck with your upgrades.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:40 PM   #6

Name: Babs
Tennessee
Yes. The fiberglass molds are the same.
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:42 PM   #7

Name: Russell
Arizona
Porthole in head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post

Where did you get the porthole window Greg, and how tricky was it to install?
Procyonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:37 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procyonid View Post
Where did you get the porthole window Greg, and how tricky was it to install?
The company I ordered my front window from is:

Motion Windows
6005 N.E. 121st Ave.
Vancouver, WA 98682

Their phone numbers are:

(Toll-free) 1-800-468-4323
(Local) 1-360-892-2029
(Fax) 1-800-213-1274.

My particular "front" security viewport window is: 10" wide X 6" high, Series 1600 single pane, rectangle, stationary, black anodized frame, solar grey tint, 2 1/2" radiused corners, 1 5/8" wall thickness. They are a good company to work with, they understand RV and trailer windows, and they'll fabricate a window for you to your specifications.

Here is a link to their website: http://www.motionwindows.com/custom-...n-vehicles.php

The hardest part is doing a lot of measuring and stepping back to "eyeball" it several times to get it centered properly. You will actually be going through two separate bulkheads to install the front window if you do this mod. The outer trailer hull is one of them, and the separate fiberglass bathroom enclosure is the other one you'll have to cut through. Then there is a space between the two of about an inch or so, along with the ubiquitous wall carpeting, which they install before they put in anything, and then the bathroom module goes into the trailer, before they mate the upper and lower trailer sections at the belly band.

Tags
casita