Are these items needed for our travels - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I was thinking more as a sediment filter to keep dirt and such out of the system. I realize the answer depends on where you are and the water source. Was wondering if anyone used a filter. I have to use one on my home water system for sediment particles, I have a drilled well.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:34 PM   #22

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Hey Joe,
1) A 30 amp power cord comes with the trailer. An extension is a good idea.
2) Some campgrounds only provide 50 amp.
3) Surge protector, I vote yes.
4) Water pressure regulator, Casita provides you with one.
Some of the other items mentioned, water filter-yes. Chocks-yes. Levelers-yes ( Andersens are pretty slick ) Hope that helps. Good luck with your new trailer.
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #23

Name: Joseph
Trailer: Just ordered 17" Casita ID
Washington
Hey wayne,

Where abouts in Conn. are you? I am from the Norwich area originally. My Cousin &her husband are looking at FG trailers & want to see some in person.

Where do you buy those Andersons?
Later
JQ
socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:05 PM   #24

Name: Wayne
Connecticut
Needed Items

Hey Joe,
I currently live in Suffield, but was born and raised in Manchester. You should be able to find the Andersen levelers on Amazon. If your cousin is interested in making the trip to Suffield I would be happy to show them my Casita.
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:23 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by socks View Post
Carol can you explain these 2 in your list?

"A tongue wheel choke." - what is this for?
"A tire iron that fits the trailer lugs and the hot water tank drain." - HW drain is same lugs as Tire lugs?

Thanks JQ
A tongue wheel choke is only of use to you if the trailer you purchase has a wheel on the tongue jack. It helps to stop the trailer tongue from rolling around if you are dropping it on unlevelled ground. Or when parked on sand or gravel - helps to keep the wheel from sinking down.

A tire iron is need to get the lug nuts off your trailers wheels should you have a flat tire - the one for your car may not be the right size for the trailer wheels. The Hot water tank has a drain plug that needs to be undone if you wish to drain the tank after use or for winterizing. The plug on the hot water tank is often to tight to remove by hand and on many of the tanks it is hard to reach so you need something with a long handle to get at it I carry a tire iron that has 4 different sizes on it - one that works for the trailer wheels and one that fits the plug for the hot water tank.
Attached Images

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:13 AM   #26

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Carol can you explain these 2 in your list?

"A tongue wheel choke." - what is this for?
"A tire iron that fits the trailer lugs and the hot water tank drain." - HW drain is same lugs as Tire lugs?

Thanks JQ
In my area ( New York) we use different terminology, a 4 way lug wrench is to remove the wheel lug nuts. It fits 4 different size nuts. Tire iron is to remove a tire from the rim. I worked with a guy from the southern US and he often described things differently than I did. Regional vocabulary.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0548.jpg  
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:31 AM   #27

Name: Elly
Trailer: (Former) Casita 17 SD
Florida
As a fulltimer, all the items you listed are useful. In the past month, I've used the 50/30 adapter twice, and lent it to a camper neighbor once.
The Casita came with the 15 adapter, which is handy for driveway stops. Your built-in electric cord is a 30 amp.
I recommend Eileen Trombley Glick ' Casita A-Z Guide. Her lists are amazingly thorough.
Elly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:13 AM   #28

Name: kacey
Trailer: Former scamp owner
Wisconsin
Another thread besides ITEMS ... How about what DOCUMENTS to carry when snowbird fulltiming ? Still concerned about MAIL and the fact we will be gone at tax time :-(
cchandka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:21 AM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarianocnj View Post
75 feet to water, 50 ft to electric. Glad I had extra hose and 30 amp cord.
I attend a number of large vintage trailer rallies and music festivals each year where electrical and water hook ups are often a long way from the trailer and often a very limited number of 30 amp plug ins - mostly 15 amp - that is if they even have them. Find having the long extension cord gets me by either way and it takes up far less room than carrying an extra long 30 amp extension.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:58 PM   #30

Name: Lee
Texas
Registry
Here's one way of looking at it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:49 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile You're not going to the moon

Which is what I tell my wife when she wants to bring along a whole lot of stuff. There are super markets all over the US and Canada.

This little baby eliminates the need for all them blocks:

(see end of post. For some reason, it won't insert here)

3604 - Camper Leveler

I still bring along blocks for under the levelers. And I have blocks for each wheel, 2-2x4's connected by a 1x4 to prevent rolling. Also a tire cover for hot sun. I got mine at a garage sale for $1.

Make a point to turn off the water if you are going to be away. The pressure WILL equal the line pressure if the water is turned off in your rig. This splitter is handy for turning off the water or if you want to get water in a pail. (Available at any hardware store.)

I also carry a one foot long extension cord. I found that the adapter, 15-20amp doesn't fit all 15amp plugs, especially if the outlet has a weather cover.

Another tip: We prepay our bills, electric, water, etc. for the time we will be away. You can't pay too much, it will just come off your bills after you get home. As far as taxes, we do them after we get home. You have until April 15th. If you get home by April 1st, you have two weeks to do them or file an extension.

Make sure your auto/trailer licenses won't come due during your trip. In Washington, you can renew your license for over 12 months like 14 months in order to 'shift' the due date.

Welcome to FGRV.
Attached Thumbnails
leveler.jpg   Splitter.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
This little baby eliminates the need for all them blocks:
Not all of them Fred, unless you are only in campgrounds. I have needed nearly well over 6" of height a few times. Those are real nice levellers, but I would still take along some lego blocks, often needed for the stabilizers too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:14 PM   #33

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Documents

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchandka View Post
Another thread besides ITEMS ... How about what DOCUMENTS to carry when snowbird fulltiming ? Still concerned about MAIL and the fact we will be gone at tax time :-(
After 15 years of mostly on the road we've faced most fulltimers issues.

We carry a lot of information in the computer, like credit card numbers, important policy numbers. We carry little in the way of documentation other than what you might normally carry like registrations, auto/trailer insurance cards and maybe titles. As well we carry our passports, and insurance policies, home, trailer, and tow vehicle, in the car. We also have Passport cards we carry in our wallet as backup.

Mail has minimized itself with time. Most of our bills come over the Internet and are paid the same way. Our only taxes are Federal have become relatively simple with age, we use Turbo tax, a rather simple, interactive program. If you're hesitant and have simple taxes you can go to a chain tax preparer.

We still get mail and are rarely very stationary. If you're a stationary snow bird you can have your mail forwarded to a local post office or some campgrounds will accept it as well. Another alternative is to have a friend or relative collect it and send it to you every now and then. They can send it General Delivery to a local post office may be once a month.

We've used all the techniques I've described. What we've done most of the time is forward our mail to Escapees and they send it general delivery any where we want when we want it.

We bank nationally with Bank of America and also with a local Credit Union that provides free credit union across the country.

Glad to help

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #34

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Not all of them Fred, unless you are only in campgrounds. I have needed nearly well over 6" of height a few times. Those are real nice levellers, but I would still take along some lego blocks, often needed for the stabilizers too.
I was in a wonderful campground in Wickenburg Az. with dry camping only. The best space available put the entry side of the trailer 6 inches lower than the non entry side. Not wanting to use blocks and have such a big step up, I used a shovel and dug a trench in the sand to lower the high side and get the trailer level. Everyone has a shovel with them, don't they ?
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #35

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I was in a wonderful campground in Wickenburg Az. with dry camping only. The best space available put the entry side of the trailer 6 inches lower than the non entry side. Not wanting to use blocks and have such a big step up, I used a shovel and dug a trench in the sand to lower the high side and get the trailer level. Everyone has a shovel with them, don't they ?
Love Wickenberg.. We stay at the Escapee park in nearby Congress. Great access to all the gold mining in the area.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:58 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
I am surprised they would allow that. If everyone was to dig holes when they camped, there would be lots of holes in the grass.

And yes, I carry a shovel in the tow.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:37 PM   #37

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
It wasn't grass. It was loose sand and I filled in the trench when I left. The campsite was left exactly the same as when I arrived. It was very primitive and beautiful. Many other campsites were occupied by people with horses. They had portable corrals and multiple horses. Those campers with horses were shoveling something other than sand . The guy next to me had a portable blacksmith shop and was shoeing horses. It was not in any way an improved surface. I would not dig up grass.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:18 PM   #38

Name: Joseph
Trailer: Just ordered 17" Casita ID
Washington
"2) Adaptor for 30 to 50 amp"

Sounds like most of you never use this. But looking thru campsites online around the country last nite, just cuz I wanted to. It seems every campsite I clicked on said Electric "50 amp".?? So, what am I missing?
socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:37 PM   #39

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
"2) Adaptor for 30 to 50 amp"

Sounds like most of you never use this. But looking thru campsites online around the country last nite, just cuz I wanted to. It seems every campsite I clicked on said Electric "50 amp".?? So, what am I missing?
It has been my experience that if there is 50 amp service, there is also 30 and usually 15 on the same pedestal. HOWEVER I have it on good authority that my experience is not shared by many. So if you have a 50 to 30 adapter, it will likely come in handy some day.. what day that would be I cant say. It might be this week, it might be next decade. Maybe the best bet it to always be prepared to boondock, and then buy what experience reveals that you that you need.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:32 PM   #40

Registry
Quote:
If you were to use a shovel in a provincial park here in BC to level a campsite (which btw are also mostly dry camping) you can expect a very unhappy park ranger visiting your site.

Tags
casita